Local Talk

Primary schools in West Edinburgh

(7 Posts)
CuriosityColaKilledTheCat Sat 20-Oct-12 21:06:50

Moving to the west of Edinburgh soon. Considering Carrick Knowe Primary, Corstorphine Primary or Fox coverts Primary. I have the ratings of these primaries, but unsure how much weight to give these in my choice? Does anyone have any experience of any of these primaries or tips for choosing?

Obviously the house prices reflect the ratings (sigh).

crazyhatlady Sat 20-Oct-12 22:27:41

Tbh it's not so much of a choice as what catchment you fall into. Corstorphine is notoriously difficult to get into and has a small catchment. Gylemuir has a good rep but again quite a small catchment. Also those with siblings get preferrence. You can have a look at catchment maps on the schools websites. From what I've heard Carrick knowe has gone downhill in recent years.

CuriosityColaKilledTheCat Sun 21-Oct-12 04:28:24

Thanks for responding. I have had a look at the catchment maps as we have a little choice in our move. Corstorphine primary is rated number 4, but we would be living somewhere tiny compared to living in the catchment for the other schools.

It's good to know about Carrick Knowe as outwardly it looks lovely and has much nicer green space than Corstorphine.

Dh and I feel that we are missing 'local' knowledge of the schools in our decision.

crazyhatlady Sun 21-Oct-12 07:55:09

It's difficult when you don't know the area. Do you know exactly where you'll be living? I grew up in west Edinburgh and have friends with kids at all the local schools. Gylemuir always gets the thumbs up and has lots of green space. A little tip, if you are thinking of moving to Carrick knowe don't go for a lower villa-the sound proofing is non existent! I spent a very stressful 6 months in one a couple of years ago! corstorphine/south gyle are really nice. Good luck.

Groovee Sun 21-Oct-12 15:05:34

Gylemuir is really hard to get into. I used to live on the boundary for Carrick Knowe, Corstorphine and Gylemuir. At the time Corstorphine had a poor rep but the current head has worked hard to pull it round. Carrick Knowe goes through phases. Fox Covert both sides get thumbs up from friends. Small schools but good in pastoral and teaching. It's really about finding where you like.

I've had a lot of negative comments for sending dd to Forresters, but I think in the short time she's been there, the staff know her well and when she became quiet and withdrawn 4 different teachers brought it to her head of houses attention and she contacted me. My dad was very ill and dd had been there when he fell ill. The support they gave her has bowled me over.

crazyhatlady Sun 21-Oct-12 21:00:57

I actually went to Forresters many moons ago before they knocked it down. The new school is a huge improvement. It's always had a bad rep but despite high school being a difficult time for me as i lost my grandparents when i was 13 i ended up doing well in my exams. I always think a child can do well in school if they have support, in school and at home.

Sandwichmum Sun 21-Oct-12 22:28:48

Fox covert ND is a nice school. Small - one class in each year and a new head teacher started at Easter. The catchment area is pretty small, though with all the new houses going up on the old QMU site we do wonder what impact it will have on numbers. Lots of green space and new head is good. Very approachable. Have friends with kids at the RC school who are very happy with it. It's a great part of town and being next to the nature reserve on the hill is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now