Local Talk

Heriots or academy

(12 Posts)
Eman83 Tue 18-Dec-12 14:47:45

Any opinions or stories on heriots or Edinburgh academy?

sweetiepie1979 Wed 13-Mar-13 21:40:10

See other posts Edinburgh academy for a girl no good. Everyone seems to like herriots certainly popular

GrooveeCar Thu 14-Mar-13 07:41:09

What do you feel happier with? I get the feeling you are quite happy with EA so far.

12Poppyfield Thu 14-Mar-13 11:12:45

I loved Heriot's when we visited it - but a bit worried about the change in staff. Think their head of junior school only changed last year, and the head of the whole school is due to retire this year and I gather they are having trouble finding a replacement. Got a great feeling about the school, but so much is down to the head teacher that I'm a bit worried whether it might change a lot over the next few years depending on the new head (could be for the better or worse, but think the uncertainty is not ideal...)

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 02:40:18

This is an old thread by I thought I'd add my tuppence worth...

I've had a couple of kids at Heriots, and my feeling is very much that the head of the senior school (who is staying) is much, much more influential than the head of the whole school (who is retiring) who's role is more administrative.

The old head of the Junior school, Mr Adams, had had health issues that meant he was off for quite long periods of time and his successor is his deputy who has been at the school for a long time and has been filling in for him for about a year anyway.

Just thought I'd add my opinion because I think having two head teachers leave at roughly the same time seems a bit daunting, but I don't actually think it's had a huge impact on the school.

Eman83 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:28:02

Did your kids enjoy Heriots?
I'm still in two minds. I find out this year if I have a place.
Also is it a sociable school? As in parents coffee mornings etc?

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 14:09:52

They loved it, but they were all quite academic rather than particularly artistic/sporty etc and I think that corresponded well to Heriot's strengths. I think pastoral care at Heriot's was great though and it had a real sense of community, my kids knew all the teachers etc.

In my experience it's very sociable - my DC have all left the school now but there's still a monthly meet up with the mums from my DS1's P1 class :D

Eman83 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:43:54

I would be starting from the nursery hopefully. I'm quite confident in getting a place actually so fingers crossed.
How long were your kids there from?

Eman83 Thu 11-Jul-13 15:27:03

I mean I am thinking confidently! Lol that sounded rather big headed lol

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 16:58:55

My kids started in P1, all the way through to S6.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but when my DC were young the nursery had very unhelpful hours for parents who worked. That may well have changed and certainly the parents I know who used it were happy with it.

Eman83 Thu 11-Jul-13 19:12:57

It's so good to hear all this information. I'm from the west coast do didn't have anyone to ask questions about schools here about from my old school.
To be honest I want a school where I am going to meet new friends as well, obviously my Childs education is more important but I would like to be involved with the PTA etc.
nursery finishes at 2.15 I think which is a bit of a hassle. But I still have good feelings about the place. I hear they have a massive waiting list as well for all the entry years :s I might not even get in!

Eman83 Thu 11-Jul-13 19:21:23

Only thing negative from an outside view is the nursery is looking a little tired but I figure if I get in its only for a year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now