Local Talk

schools for artists and info on the surf scene

(4 Posts)
frodobagins Wed 09-Jan-13 23:05:59

Yep, its one of those, I am thinking of moving to Edinburgh threads but please, please help me out. My daughter will be 16 when we move and she is on the gifted and talented register for art. She wants to go to university in Edinburgh to study art eventually and will need to get highers that help her to do this. I am only just working out the system in Scotland and previous threads have frightened me because they talk of deadlines to get into schools and catchment areas and I had no idea about any of this. So to get the ball rolling is there anywhere that you know of that is good for art that could help her achieve the grades she will need to get into Edinburgh? Also are there any surf widows whose husbands surf or woman who do who could tell us about the surf scene up there?

Marybeatonseton Thu 10-Jan-13 09:43:59

Hello from the central belt here in Scotland near the Forth, (waves).

I am sure you are checking out properties for sale in the free compilation of available listings, ESPC. I don't have a specific school to recommend art-wise though I'd ask the art school if there are particular feeder schools. Obviously if a particular school is oversubscribed there's a pretty broad selection in this region.

I don't surf but I expect you'll be looking at Dunbar for surfing, 27miles east of the City. Are you committed to Edinburgh itself or will you also include North Berwick and Musselburgh?

Up here the date of a child's birthday in connection with commencing school hinges on 1st March unlike English schools where 1st September is the key date.

So the older pupils in a class at my DD's state school will celebrate birthdays in Spring ie March and April. The younger pupils will be those born in December, January, and February.

In state schools pupils take the bulk of their Highers in S5 when they are 16. I am sure your DD is already preparing a portfolio. The Times will have listed the top performing schools. Did you know the head teacher at high school up here is often known as the Rector?
The autumn term begins in late August and summer terms ends around the end of June.

Apologies if you knew all this.
When looking at Edinburgh, do take a look at West Lothian, which is cheaper than the City, and served by good road and rail links, or if you are keen on surfing, East Lothian.

frodobagins Thu 10-Jan-13 11:00:54

Thank you this is all very helpful and I didn't know any of these things as I am just starting all my research. I have so much to get up to speed with.

Marybeatonseton Thu 10-Jan-13 15:39:20

Me again well worth peeking at St Andrew's further north (where Prince William + Catherine studied!) for surfing.

Plenty of "incomers" from England round here, Edin always more international than other places. Real energy in Glasgow and lovely old city Stirling.

Top tip: wear layers when moving here it's at least 3 or 4 deg cooler than England!

All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now