Local Talk

Friday afternoon drive from edinburgh to glasgow - easy?

(4 Posts)
Leedsvisitor Wed 20-Mar-13 14:58:56

Need to go to glasgow and considering whether to go by train or car. If we left home by about 4pm could we expect to get there in a reasonable time (say just over an hour)? Or is Friday afternoon a nightmare?

Believe there is also a rangers game on Saturday and don't know if this will have a knock on.

3nationedinburgh Wed 20-Mar-13 21:59:44

It depends on what side of Edinburgh you are starting from. Traffic out of town on a Friday is actually worse around 4 than at 6-7 as many people finish early on a Friday. It could take you easily half an hour from centre of town to the airport then another 10 minutes to get through Newbridge. After that you should be Ok to Glasgow until you hit the East end. I would budget for 1.5 hours leaving town centre at 4pm Friday.

Leedsvisitor Wed 20-Mar-13 23:40:14

ok , wonder if we left by 3.30 if that would make a difference? we are actually near blackhall so right side of town.

do you think rangers match on saturday will add to friday traffic?

HibernatingHamster Fri 22-Mar-13 12:37:50

I went once on a Friday, intending to pick DH up from work and drive down to the lakes. It was a nightmare! Took hours. Traffic at a standstill through Glasgow, including on the M8. Don't do it regularly though so I don't know if that was normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now