Advice around moving to dunbar?

(5 Posts)
Jofels Mon 11-Aug-14 12:34:59

Hi all,
First time posting here! DH has recently been offered a job in Edinburgh and we are looking for somewhere with easy access to work for him, with lots of young families but somewhere pretty, with things to do and out of the city itself (not asking much then). DS is only 9 months so schools not an immediate issue but nursery would be. After a lot of online searching we are coming up with Dunbar & North Berwick (but property prices look a N Berwick) but not a whole lot else.

So basically, does anyone live in Dunbar / recently moved to Dunbar and if so what is it like? Good and bad? Does it feel safe and friendly? Do you prefer North Berwick or have any other suggestions? We do like the look of peebles, but lack of train might be an issue.

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I can't find much in the way of Dunbar specific comments.

Any local info / help would be appreciated

purdyscot Tue 19-Aug-14 22:11:49

Hi Jofels. I don't live in Dunbar but know it v well and would move there in a heartbeat if it suited me & DH's work and lifestyle. Definitely popular with young families and yes property prices are a lot lower than N Berwick. Love the proximity to the city, seaside, recreation facilities and community feel. For a small town I think it really punches above its weight in terms of facilities with good schools, swimming pool / leisure centre, other sports inc golf, rugby, tennis, surfing etc, brand new library and community centre, baby / kids groups and classes, several quality play parks, East Links farm park, 2 soft plays (at leisure centre and Splatz cafe on High St) good shops (including out-of-town Asda supermarket, local mini markets, fab butcher and amazing community bakery, garden centre) and some nice cafés / restaurants / takeaways (we like The Rocks, Creel, Graze Cafe, The Store, Garden Path and the new wood-fired pizza van down at the harbour), clean beaches and lovely harbour complete with two friendly harbour seals :-) My friend's DS is in the Pumpkin Patch nursery at Belhaven and very happy with it. HTH.

Idldoo Thu 09-Jun-16 13:54:32

New to Edinburgh and to Mumsnet.
We are moving up in next 12 months and considering either Edinburgh or East Lothian.
If anyone has any comments on Yester Primary, Haddington Primary and Compass School, would be much appreciated. We have 3DS aged 4, 2, and 1.
We are from Australia so little inside knowledge of Scottish system let alone recommendations for East Lothian.

Mazmack809 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:32:01

I'd have a look at a linlithgow too

Mazmack809 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:32:36

Oops sorry, I was answering OP.

No idea about these schools, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now