Stewart Melville or George Watson's for S1?

(11 Posts)
geebee1701 Fri 12-Feb-16 15:57:15

Hi - fortunate enough that my son has been offered a place in S1 at both (currently at a State Primary in Edinburgh). He is academic and bright but not sporty. How do the two compare? I know GW is co-ed whereas SM is split but I have heard that boys do better in a co-ed environment? GW is a lot bigger but seems to have more clubs and facilities in the one campus. Torn between the two, to be honest!

DameDancealot Fri 12-Feb-16 16:37:18

If it was me I would prob go for SM as its smaller, GW is very big and for those kind of fees I would rather my child was one of approx 700 rather than approx 1400. (Apologies if my numbers are wrong)

Also SM have a lot of interaction with MS as they were together for primary years and the girls and boys are brought back together in sixth form.

At the end of the day go with your gut instinct,

Starfish347 Mon 15-Feb-16 12:43:25

You need to see round both if you haven't already, ideally on a regular day where you can see both schools operating as normal. I went to see both when looking for a school for my dd - admittedly it was for P1 and not S1!

We went with GWC and yes, although it's big, its very friendly and inclusive, and there is something for all kids to excel at. I have been overwhelmed with the efficiency and friendliness of the school in the 2 years that we have experienced. The new head is very well regarded already, and people I speak to with older kids there really rate it.

Think also of location as a lot of time will be spent to and from school, esp with clubs and activities, and if your son did lean towards sport (I know you said he wasn't but you never know!), that some of the facilities for SM are not on campus. GWC also has a great new sports facility which includes a pool.

That said, I've heard great things about SM also. So very much agree it had to be a gut decision for both you and your son.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 15-Feb-16 21:34:31

Which is easiest to travel to. They are both excellent schools (although mine went to Heriots so slightly biased).

Datec Mon 15-Feb-16 23:09:53

Both great schools does he have friends transferring to either?
My choice would be based on feeling from visiting, his feeling from each school and also commute.

Noofly Tue 01-Mar-16 21:15:35

DS is at Watson's (S2 joined in P7) and his sister will start next year. He absolutely loves it! He had also been accepted to Heriot's which had been my preference, mostly because I thought Watson's felt too big. However, he walked out of the Watson's exam saying that he didn't care if he got into Heriot's , this was where he wanted to go. So he did. grin

It is a large school but it doesn't feel that way once you're in it. Everyone is very approachable and their communication is excellent.

I do know people with children at SM and they are equally happy with their choice!

geebee1701 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:37:20

Thanks all - went for GWC in the end!

Starfish347 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:11:56

Yay!! I am biased though wink
I hope he really enjoys his time there.

Noofly Sat 26-Mar-16 17:27:52

Excellent decision! wink

geebee1701 Fri 23-Sep-16 16:58:50

Transition has been hard for my son (he gets very anxious when faced with change or unknown situations) but GWC have been absolutely fabulous in terms of the support they have given him. Very impressed at how they have approached this and the time they have been able to devout to making him feel better

Noofly Sat 24-Sep-16 12:56:00

I'm sorry he's having a rough transition. I'd really suggest that he gets involved in some lunchtime or after school clubs if he isn't already. There are so many and lots will welcome children joining at any point during the year. Did you know that you can view the Daily Senior Bulletin online when you are logged in? I quite often read it and tell DS he should this or that and am always ignored

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now