What's it like living in South Queensferry?

(7 Posts)
1sttimemummyedinburgh Sat 23-Apr-16 10:46:43

Hi does anyone have any experience living in or moving to south Queensferry. We have no knowledge of this area except the occasional visit on a sunny day. We are looking to move with our 3.5 year old son and would need to place him in a good pre school nursery preferably a school run nursery. I have done some research on schools transport links etc but I am just looking to hear personal views on everything from schools to the quality of life. What are the areas like are there any dodgy areas to avoid? What is Echline like? We are looking for a nice calm family orientated area. I have heard stories of anti social behaviour however what area doesn't come with a little? Is it bad or just a lot of nonsense?

I appreciate your time.

GrooveeCar Fri 29-Apr-16 19:56:40

I have a few friends who live there. They love it. Nice walks, local shops and there is Echline Primary with a nursery, Queensferry have the early years centre which also has wraparound care for breakfast, lunch and after school care. Dalmeny is a short drive and is a lovely little school. All 3 nurseries are lovely.

fairylights Sat 30-Apr-16 14:10:31

we also have good friends who live there and absolutely love it - quick train into town for work and a friendly community in a lovely location. They have had a positive experience of SQ nursery and primary for their kids.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 21-May-16 01:27:59

I live in South Queensferry. Positives are a nice environment, very good schools through to high school, good transport links with the city and a lot of the housing is very affordable if you're not fussy about having a pretty house (there's lots of 70s housing which has no kerb appeal but actually works brilliantly for family life).

Negatives - it is a small town, with all that comes from that. The pretty little high street is based round tourism rather than what residents might need or want, and because there are so many tourists eating out is expensive and not that great. There is the classic small town issue of 'nothing to do' for older kids which periodically leads to spates of anti-social behaviour (which is probably what you've been reading about). That's a pain in the bum of course, but as you say it happens everywhere.

The main thing I love about here is the amount of house and garden I could get for my money, the quiet walks up to school and the birds singing in my garden.
The thing I hate is the small town mentality - but tbf I'd get that anywhere else that wasn't my beloved Edinburgh too most likely.

In short, it's a good place to live. Particularly if you have DCs.

SarahEdBel Tue 12-Jul-16 21:14:26

To be blunt, my husband grew up here and hated it. He found it very much a local place for local people, and he had come - shock, horror - from the Highlands. The high school had a good rep, but he felt a lot of the kids were big fish in a small pond who had the shock of their lives if they left the town for uni or work (and many returned to the Ferry fast, never to leave again). He couldn't get out fast enough.

However, it was safe, relatively affordable, convenient for commuting and great for sailing!

badguider Tue 12-Jul-16 22:05:45

Echelons is a long way from the train. I grew up that side and would never live there. I would only consider living in a ten min walk of the train station.
It's a small town, with all the associated teenage drinking etc that comes with it. No worse than any other small town but I think worse than the city where there's more for teenagers to do.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 13-Jul-16 05:00:44

TBF I think the local place for local people thing is on the way out. We are very aware of it and it does still exist, but with around 5,000 new houses being built in SQ over the next couple of years I think it's fading fast. Apart from some pockets of Facebook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now