ESMS Mary Erskine Junior School

(8 Posts)
Idldoo Thu 09-Jun-16 03:49:20

Am new to forum and new to moving to Edinburgh...would appreciate your thoughts. Background - moving to Ed with 3 girls aged 1,2 and 4. From Australia originally. I have read up on schools both state and independent.
But this thread more specific.
Very interested in ESMS junior school because of what I have read of head's attitude - not pushy and encouraging of muddy puddles and learning rather than competitiveness. (Pls forgive crude paraphrase.)
Just wanted to know if this happens in practice in what is a large school, and any other insights others can share.
Sounds like a great ethos. It was this that jumped out at me, while noting that all education in Scotland at both state and independent seems excellent - similar to Australia but Australian primary schools on average much smaller.
(Have started separate thread for thoughts for thoughts on state primaries).
Thank you! 🙂

catdil Thu 09-Jun-16 14:41:10

New head starting this year. My son is there and really likes it. Something for everything dependent on whether into sport, music or drama etc. Only thing to watch out for is the split campus. So you have all girls. Nursery and primary 1 to 3 will be at Mary erskine campus then p4 - p7 moves to the boys school site, then back to Mary erskine for secondary (boys stay at Stewart's site). There is an inter site busy but just bear in mind your girls will be at different sites at time if all going.

Idldoo Thu 09-Jun-16 15:52:57

Thanks for posting so swiftly. Did not realise new head starting.
Yes cottoned on to the split campus thing but was told 10 min walk or 5 min drive. Think my legs might be doing the work rather than sitting in traffic!

catdil Thu 09-Jun-16 21:20:33

In fairness the new head is coming from the boys school so not new to the school

TheApprentice Fri 10-Jun-16 17:29:17

Hi. My boys started in the junior school this year and have settled well. There seems to be plenty of extra curricular cubs and activities going on. We chose it in part because we liked the ethos of developing the whole child and the fact that they were willing to consider deferring my older son which some other schools were not.

Moomish Fri 10-Jun-16 20:55:29

I have heard from a mum that Mary Erskine girls stop studying IT at 12. The boys continue on with the subject. You might want to seek clarification on that from the school.

Idldoo Mon 13-Jun-16 15:04:57

The Apprentice
Thanks for input. That's what caught my attention ... re ethos.

Idldoo Mon 13-Jun-16 15:05:30

Will make sure to ask that question!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now