East Lothian primary schools

(7 Posts)
Idldoo Thu 09-Jun-16 14:00:04

Am new to Scotland and to Mumsnet. We will be moving up in next 12 months either to Edinburgh or East Lothian. We have 3DDs aged 4,2 and 1.
Any comments / advice on Yester Primary, Haddington Primary and Compass School and other recommendations would be much appreciated as no inside understanding of school system in Scotland as from Australia!
Many thanks!🙂

Idldoo Thu 09-Jun-16 15:54:10

And also Pencaitland Primary and Lasswade Primary!
Thanks again

KingLooieCatz Thu 16-Jun-16 16:25:32

Might be worth a try on Scotsnet and/or the East Lothian/Midlothian Mumsnet Local. The school threads usually do quite well on here so I reckon usual posters aren't familiar with the schools you're asking about. Either that or everyone is at work/doing school run.

GrooveeCar Thu 16-Jun-16 18:20:03

Lasswade Primary is in Bonnyrigg which is in Midlothian Council rather than East Lothian.

2 of my friends have preferred MacMerry Primary over their local school. Both I knew individually and didn't know they both knew me x

FurryMouse Thu 16-Jun-16 19:25:39

I don't know any of the schools you mention, OP, but since you're not sure of where you might be moving, could I draw your attention to Portobello? It's Edinburgh's seaside and a wonderful place to bring up children. You have the advantages of being a 20-minute bus ride from the city centre and you're technically and administratively within the city, but it's a lovely, self-contained community with loads going on, especially for children. Best of all is the 2-mile sandy beach with prom. The local primary school is Towerbank where my children went, and it has a good reputation (my children left quite some time ago, but I know lots of people with children there now, and they're all very happy). It's got lots going on for parents of pre-school children as well.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 17-Jun-16 00:06:47

As pps have said, these schools are mostly East Lothian and so a different school district from Edinburgh (which is wher you've posted).

I'm from East Lothian and (apart from the Compass which I don't know at all) you are looking at a selection of village or small town schools which are the only schools in their village or small town. They all have good reps. Yester has made one of the good school lists though I'm not sure why it would be different from somewhere like Direlton, for example.

So to summarise. All good schools. And all free (except the Compass school iirc). And seeing you are from Australia, is that what you actually meant? Isn't it common to pay for schooling where you are?

Idldoo Mon 11-Jul-16 09:57:24

Thanks all for your contributions. Sorry was off radar - youngest was admitted to hospital but now recovered and we are all relieved. Back to schools, will remember to post locally rather than Edinburgh. Thanks for mention of Portobello. I know Portobello. Lovely area.
Yes understand each village has its own school and catchment area. Thanks for mentioning tho. It works the same way in Australia, LonnyVonnyWilson; the system there is you choose state schools or fee paying independents and I went to state primary so was looking for the same for my DDS in Scotland.
It now looks like we might spend first year in Edinburgh while we find our feet before getting to know all the areas of East Lothian as quite a bit to get to know and from a distance too until we move!
Thankyou all for taking the time to comment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now