could i get some suggestion between Fettes and George Heriot

(7 Posts)
rebecca2ryan Tue 14-Jun-16 15:00:21

Hello, dear all, my dd is 10 year old, and we are looking to move her schools at this September. She's doing fine in her current school, but teachers have been mentioning that she's been doing things or reading her own books in class, quite a few times. She's doing fine with her exams. Actually her exam result is way above her age range. we are thinking maybe that's why she's not showing interest in the lessons and need a bit stretch. She's not doing particular well in sport, not bad with music, but reading is her favourite. she's a wee bit blunt and noisy.
we sat exams for Fettes and George Heriot. We all love both schools, DD loves Fettes more, as it's smaller class and kids are put into different group to suit's children's needs. GH seems to be still big class and everybody together. DH and I both work in Edinburgh, I am slightly concerned about how DD would fit into Fettes kid's group in long run, as I felt that Fettes is a wee bit posh, while more GH parents are local, working parents. I could be wrong, no offence to either school. Both schools are 10 minutes drive away. so it became a dreadful situation to choose. Any advice would be most welcome.

TattiesAnHerrin Tue 14-Jun-16 19:42:34

The moment you decide to pay, you are denying your child a basic education in what their own society is like.

3nationedinburgh Tue 14-Jun-16 20:04:05

Tatties, I don't think that's a particularly helpful response to the original poster.
Fettes and Heriots are two completely different offerings. At Fettes, the boarders are the priority and the school day/week/holidays works on that basis. So school on Saturday mornings, expectation to stay for evening prep and activities, and long holidays so boarders can return home ( mores difficult for local working parents to cover). However, lots of international students, a commitment to widening access ( only after they had their card marked by the charity commission though). The other issue is that they do the international Baccaulauriat rather than A levels or Scottish Highers. That suits some students more than others and is given different weighting for uk Universities. There are a lot of very rich families there, with all the competition and expectations that that brings in terms of travel and opportunities. The sports facilities are fantastic and they offer lots of extra curricular activities too. Only you can decide how it feels for you and your child.
Heriots has a great academic record but is less sporty, and the city centre location means traveling to playing fields from a young age. It has a more normal school day and mostly local kids, and obviously no boarders.

Eman83 Tue 14-Jun-16 20:59:15

Tatties that is a very ignorant and unhelpful response.
We are at George Heriots and absolutely love it, however we are in the primary section.
I have friends at both senior school in fettes and Heriots and again both love it.
The only thing I would say with Fettes being a boarding school I have heard it's harder for a day pupil to fee involved.
Your daughter will know which she prefers and I'm sure together you will make the right choice.

rebecca2ryan Tue 14-Jun-16 22:51:32

Thanks 3nationedinburgh and Eman83. that's extremely helpful. We are thinking more for GH now.

Buckeyedjim Sat 09-Jul-16 00:37:15

fettes is a wee bit posh
Rofl grin

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 12-Jul-16 03:12:01

What exam results have been shared with you? My DS is 10 and had standardised testing last year, but the results weren't shared...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now