Moving to Edinburgh

(7 Posts)
Tantun Sun 03-Jul-16 16:01:05

Hello everyone. I started a thread on here last year as we are moving to Edinburgh after 12 years in Dubai. Last summer we looked at schools and everyone on here was extremely helpful. We decided on St. George's and I have sent in the applications for 2017, so hopefully it all goes well. I also got lots of helpful advice on where to look at houses and we are finalising on a house in Murrayfield - so, once again, thanks for all the great advice!

We will be in Scotland this summer for a couple of weeks, but are moving to Edinburgh next summer. I have a 3 year old and an 8 year old. Will be needing advice on what to do with young children, as well as how to go about finding a job! Any thoughts or places to start would be welcome.

Thanks again to all of you who helped.

ocelot41 Tue 05-Jul-16 05:35:22

Hiya, we are in the process of moving too. My DH has been using a career coach service called NewFutureMe which he is v impressed with on the job hunting front. Good luck!

Tantun Tue 05-Jul-16 07:30:10

Sounds good. We just decided that we wanted to move and after many late night discussions, we decided on Edinburgh, even though neither of us has ever lived there! My mum is from Edinburgh so it made sense! Haven't even started job hunting, so that's very helpful, thank you!

Sametime Tue 05-Jul-16 14:50:02

We love Murrayfield, although as I have boys, St George's is not an option.

You may want to file applications with other schools just in case there are no places for your children unless you've already had it confirmed that there are.

BrainLikeASeive Sat 06-Aug-16 20:47:30

oooh - hello. I've just found your thread... I have a 3 year old and we're moving to Edinburgh in December. I have 5 year old twins too.
And I don't have the foggiest on what there is to do there.
Hey ho.
Unfortunately DH is hell bent on moving mortgage-free so we won't be in Boroughmuir but I've done my research and Lefty-Lefty Portobello sounds right up our street.

Lones80 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:13:22

I'm in Portobello and it's fab, especially for kids. There is a real sense of community. We have loads of parks and playgrounds, cafes, soft play and of course the beach. Property prices here have gone up quite a lot, and houses go very quickly so you may have to move fast when you see something. However the local schools are all well thought if, and it's easy access to Loretto in Musselburgh and the schools in the city centre of you are thinking of going private. Best of luck with the move!

YummyTwinMummy Thu 10-Nov-16 08:08:43

Hi,

We are also moving to Edinburgh from the Middle East (just down the road in Abu Dhabi). My twin girls will be attending St George's as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now