Primary Schools SW Edinburgh - 2 Mum family

(8 Posts)
elasticated17 Fri 08-Jul-16 09:39:39

hey all
Looking for advice for our four year old. we're a two mum family (completely non scene and not interested in rainbow parenting). Currently we're in Auckland, New Zealand but wanting to be close to family means a possible move to Edinburgh. Our family are in Morningside which is out our price range so we're looking at Colinton, Greenbank possibly Juniper Green, Currie or Balerno - We do not want to live in a flat and as far as we can tell our budget will be fine in the areas mentioned.
Our biggest fear is moving her away from a city where gay parents are pretty accepted. I haven't lived in Edinburgh since I was a kid. Are these good areas to be thinking about moving to? We're basically looking for a nice wee local school that would welcome a family like ours. Our daughter is a lovely outgoing kid. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

flippinada Fri 08-Jul-16 10:43:24

Hi elasticated - you'll be fine in Edinburgh - it's generally a very tolerant and open minded sort of place, I find. All of those places are nice - I live in Currie (single parent) and it's lovely, very child friendly.

flippinada Fri 08-Jul-16 10:45:46

My son goes to Currie Primary and I'm very impressed with it - he's really thrived there. One thing though, the class sizes are big as it's very popular.

Currie High School is well regarded too - both are state schools.

Buckeyedjim Sat 09-Jul-16 00:39:35

There's the odd eejit as you could find anywhere but you'll be fine. In middle class areas I suspect people will be falling over themselves to befriend you grin

elasticated17 Sat 09-Jul-16 01:55:57

haha thanks!

SarahEdBel Tue 12-Jul-16 21:07:14

I was going to say the same as Buckey 😂

elasticated17 Tue 12-Jul-16 23:34:14

thanks for all your replies, one more question! are both the primary schools in Currie well regarded?

flippinada Wed 13-Jul-16 11:31:50

grin @ Buckeye

Yes, both are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now