Hogmanay - can you help me plan?

(10 Posts)
blameitonme Mon 26-Sep-16 19:03:24

Hi, hoping to visit with family 29/12-2/1. We have 2 teens (17,18) and a 12 year old. My questions are numerous and don't want long post/drip feed...the dilemma! Here goes: I'm trying to decide before tickets go on sale whether we should all go to the Concert in the Gardens, or let the teens go (and probably end up in street party) and we go to Ceilidh in old town. If we choose the Concert we would like to get a little dance in - is the Final Fling any good? And the torch procession - where does it start from?
Hotel - want v local hotel so teens can make their way back easily. Family friendly. With a bit of festive going on just in case weather is vile. Apex in Waterloo Place seems to fit the bill - any opinions? Is it a bit like a Holuday Inn rather than a luxe place like The George (which despite 3 calls have still not come back to me grrr)? If the hotels have no band etc on, should I look at Airbnb. What area would work? I'm thinking south side as I don't want to have a long loop to avoid having to go through street party with the 12year old, but we don't mind seeing/ hearing the celebrations.
Hope that's not too much to read.

Buckeyedjim Wed 28-Sep-16 18:43:43

I think the problem with getting replies for this is that many locals don't do any of the things at Hogmanay that tourists do - we can't afford it for one!
Unless your teens are a good age I would prefer to keep the family together. It gets really busy. Not sure why you want a band in your hotel? There will be loads of venues to go to. A hotel band not likely to be great. I would like the Apex but I'm not posh! Is Waterloo place actually IN the cordoned off bit? It must be very near!

blameitonme Wed 28-Sep-16 18:58:35

Thanks for replying - yes that makes sense re locals...I am originally from highlands and feel the same when I get asked about ceilidhs etc. Band was just in case we had to come back early with youngest. I don't know re Waterloo Place being in the area, I think just outside, maybe zone runs along north bridge? Not posh either but tried Airbnb....loads are dearer than hotels!

Buckeyedjim Wed 28-Sep-16 19:34:59

I'd rather a cheap hotel than an airbnb personally, it might be soulless but you know what you're getting. The Scotsnet section might be worth a repost in.
I see what you mean about the band, can't really take a 12 year old to see a band in the pub. But be positive - you will all be on the street till it's time for bed anyway!

blameitonme Wed 28-Sep-16 19:51:37

Yeah! Think we will go for it. Thanks.

3nationedinburgh Wed 28-Sep-16 20:44:55

Just be aware that many hotels will have a minimum 3 night stay rule over Hogmanay and all will be very expensive so don't delay in booking while there is still availability

blameitonme Wed 28-Sep-16 20:54:51

Thanks...3 days will be perfect. I am going to call around in the morning and book before I get tickets on Friday. So bored of the celebrations down south, just hope the weather is kindsmile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 28-Sep-16 23:40:07

Forget about the George, it is one of the partner hotels for the Hogmany organisers so is always full and £££££. The Apex would work well. Any hotels with stuff like bands on, they'll charge extra for the privilege, as in it'll be a dinner dance or party night - so I wouldn't bother factoring that in, personally.

I rarely do The ticketed Hogmanay bc I don't like crowds. Concert in the Gardens is actually the least packed in place, if you buy tickets for the enclosure itself. Moving around between the stages takes aaaages too, so pick one and stick to it would be my advice.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 28-Sep-16 23:42:01

And just on your final comment about weather - the whole thing has been cancelled due to weather in the past. So it's worth thinking of that as a worst case scenario - if this is a major part of your travel budget for the year, there is a risk, however small, that the event won't happen.

blameitonme Thu 29-Sep-16 07:00:52

Lonny, thanks, good advice. The weather is my concern hence thinking about a hotel with entertainment - we have gone to Crieff Hydro for years but it has got so dear and the kids have grown out of it - so we thought Edinburgh would be more exciting. I suppose all those people who visit have got to go somewhere if it's cancelled so there may still be some craic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now