Help please with choosing where to move to? Oxgangs or S Morningside catchment?

(8 Posts)
MissusBeee Tue 18-Oct-16 07:56:42

Hello, we're moving back to Edinburgh in the next few months after 16 years in England-shire and getting to the point where we have to actually decide where to live- we've found 2 places that look good (to rent, we'll look to buy later down the line). One in south morningside catchment and one on oxgangs. My Would you choose one catchment over the other? dc1 due to start p1 next year. I'd really appreciate some local knowledge... thanks x

badguider Tue 18-Oct-16 08:09:14

Everyone will say south morningside. It probably is the better overall but oxgangs is a fine school. I'd look at the journeys to both too and choose the house nearest the respective school. Driving to s morningside in the morning is hellish (I pass it for nursery).

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 18-Oct-16 08:11:47

Morningside without a doubt. Oxgangs is erm... a tad on the rough side. The school might be alright but the area isn't.

Morningsider Tue 18-Oct-16 08:13:17

Sorry to be predictable but S Morningside every time. It's a fantastic school. If your kids are small though they will be in the Deanbank Annexe til P3, it's in Caanan Lane.

It's not massively socially diverse if that's something you rate highly though. Wall to wall MC.

badguider Tue 18-Oct-16 08:13:48

In the long term, s morningside feeds boroughmuir and oxgangs firrhill - 1st and 4th best schools in the city.
Pentland primary sits between the two catchments you've mentioned and also feeds firrhill.
I think if I were you I'd rent in the same catchment I could most imagine buying in (s morningside is overfull and you may not get a sibling in there if you've moved out of catchment).

Buckeyedjim Tue 18-Oct-16 14:14:59

Will you be able to buy in both areas when the time comes, and be happy with what your money gets you?

craiglockhartmo Wed 19-Oct-16 12:52:42

I'd recommend visiting both schools if you can to get a proper impression of them. My direct experience of Oxgangs school is extremely positive. It's a lovely school with lots to recommend it. Oxgangs catchment (Craiglockhart, Colinton Mains, Greenbank Village) is a great place to live too.

MissusBeee Fri 21-Oct-16 08:28:45

Thanks for all of your help, we've ended up renting a lovely place on the other side of town (Flora Strvensons catchment)! The 2 places we were looking at just didn't work as well- which is a shame as I prefer that side of town -anyway, Looking forward to moving now and thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now