Local Talk

Hi mums in Ely

(8 Posts)
clairemuma Sat 24-Sep-11 22:51:16

Hi
Me and my husband and 2 little ones (2 and 6m) are in the process of moving to Ely from Devon (huz had new job in Cambridge) and would love to know a bit more local knowledge about Ely. We are looking at a house in St Ovins Green and have gathered so far that it is established and mainly elderly with some young familys and quiet. Does anyone know anything different!?!? Does anyone have kiddies at St Johns too, feedback would be great. Some help with what baby, toddler, groups would also be really helpful. We are looking forward to our move but also slightly daunted by moving to a compleatly new area. Thank you

learnermummy Wed 19-Oct-11 11:15:53

Hi there. Can't help I'm afraid but we're in the same boat. Probably moving to Ely next spring/summer time and would love some advice on nice areas to live, schools etc. My two DSs are 5 and 2.
Thanks.

BestLaidPlans Thu 20-Oct-11 09:02:19

Hello, I live in one of the villages just outside Ely and my DD is only 11 months so I can't tell you much about housing or schools, although I have friends who live on Stour Green and St. John's Road and they like it there.

While I much prefer Mumsnet as a forum, I have to grudgingly admit that NetMums is better at the whole meeting local mums thing. There's an Ely NetMums facebook page which details all the meetups and has lots of advice on which groups are good. I haven't been to a meetup for ages as they changed it recently from being more of a coffee morning and a chat group to charging £2.50 but including activities and a drink and snack for the children, so better for children older than mine really.

HTH

fluffywhitekittens Fri 21-Oct-11 20:51:35

I'm in a village just outside Ely.
There are Los of baby /toddler groups in the area.
Feel free to pm me if/when you move smile

LisaLou101 Sun 13-Nov-11 21:36:08

Hiya, we moved to Ely about 8 months ago from London, sure you and your little ones will love it, really a great place to move especially for the kids there is always so much going on and a real friendly place. I have three little ones, two boys aged 21 months, 2 and a half years and a little girl who is only 12 weeks.

St Johns has great reviews, hard to get into but if your in the area definitely a good choice. There is also the Lantern which is great (again hard to get into unless you live on their doorstep) and Spring Meadows is another option.

As for playgroups there is something for every day of the week, the family grapevine magazine is a good read for events and a list of playgroups or the Ely Childrens Centre also lists a few. I take my little ones to quite a few so feel free to let me know if you would like to come with us sometime, I find I'm always so busy with the kids its hard to find time to make new friends, I've been here 8 months and still don't know that many people.

Ely is a lovely place, the main town is just the right size has everything you need and then if you want any more shops there is Cambridge or the Beehive shopping centre not too far away, a really nice spot is Kings Lynn too.

Good luck with the move x

TheGrandOldDuke Tue 24-Jan-12 07:54:48

How did the move go? Did you go with St Ovins?
We love Ely too, a great place to bringup children x

TheGrandOldDuke Tue 24-Jan-12 07:55:52

Oh, and all 3 primary schools in Ely have good reps. Mine will go to the Lantern, but St johns and St Marys are also excellent I believe.

monstiebags Fri 17-Feb-12 14:43:27

I am starting a maths and exercise class in Ely on Monday 20th February (4.45pm at the Scout Hut opposite St Johns School)

The class is for 50 minutes and uses games, sports and exercise to explore maths and boost maths confidence. It is aimed at 7-11 year olds.

Please come along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now