Local Talk

Soham? Weatheralls Primary and the area in general??

(10 Posts)
CJMommy Wed 04-Jul-12 23:40:44

Sorry, posted this in Cambridge local then noticed Ely had it's own spot!! So, I have posted in here too...

Tell me......

We hope to secure a place at Weatheralls Primary in Soham and are moving 150 miles into the area. Honest opinions please?

- what is Soham like?
- What is the school like?
- What will we need to know about the area?
-Anything else that may help us as we move in 7 weeks!!

Slight panic emoticon!! wine

CJMommy Thu 05-Jul-12 22:48:26

Anyone?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 05-Jul-12 22:54:45

I live in a village 4 miles away and my kids attended St.Andrews then went on to Soham Village College. Not sure I can really help much with regard to schooling but might be able to help on the general area. We used to live at the Downfields end of Soham and we still use the shops, doctors etc.

CJMommy Thu 05-Jul-12 23:00:52

Thanks. We are trying to get a feel for the area really. Hoping to visit next week smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 05-Jul-12 23:09:57

There have been a couple of large, by fenland standard, developments in Soham in recent years so it's not as insular as it was. I moved into Soham from Essex but found it quite easy to make friends. There were plenty of activities when the chidren were small but that might've changed in recent years.

Ely holds out nearest supermarkets with Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose and a Wilkinsons but no other real high street shops. For big shopping we either go into Cambridge, (not really built for cars, too much traffic, expensive parking) or Bury St.Edmunds.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 05-Jul-12 23:13:52

Soham has a greengrocer, a butchers, a Co-op, a Budgens, a bakers, and several independent shops on the high street and bus services to Ely, Newmarket and Cambridge.

CJMommy Fri 06-Jul-12 22:26:25

Thanks hellas. Coming from a city, it's going to seem tiny! But we are sooo looking forward to moving smile

We are in a village about 2 miles away, but to be honest we generally head Newmarket way when we venture into a town, rather than Soham. I don't know the primary school you mentioned, but the college is really good, my nephew is starting there in September.

When is your move?

CJMommy Mon 20-Aug-12 22:14:54

Hi Dances
We move in just under three weeks - quite excited; remarkably scared!!
I looked in the villages around Soham, two in particular but one school was oversubscribed and the other had no affordable housing.

Do you know of any swimming lessons in the area as my 4 y/o has started where we are are now but would like him to continue.

Is there anything else you recommend we visit or would be useful to know in the area?

Thanks for replying, I thought this thread had long gone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now