Local Talk

Hi All - Your local Tsarina Calling

(26 Posts)
Eelpie Fri 23-May-08 22:53:00

Welcome to Ely and the Fens. I have campaigned hard to get us a local site so get on here now and post your listings and let me know what is happenning smile

For the time being I have picked a local nickname to add to the fun. I have been on MN for nearly 3 years. I have a toddler of 21m and live in Ely.

Let's start a list of locals so we can spot each other in active convos. I will be posting under Eelpie from now on smile

Saker Sat 24-May-08 12:09:38

Hi

I live near to Ely - we have lived in this house for 10 years, before that we lived around this area/Cambridge for about 4 years. I have two boys, 8 and 6, the youngest has special needs and goes to Highfield Special School in Ely. The oldest goes to the village school. I am a SAHM.

Eelpie Sat 24-May-08 15:15:06

Hi Saker

Nice to meet you smile I have heard some nice things about Highfield from a friend. It is good to have facilities like that locally. Does your DS like it?

hobbity Sun 25-May-08 20:44:05

Hiya

I live in North Ely and have a ds 15months and a dd 10 years, an interesting gap if ever there was one. We've been in Ely for about 18 months having moved back from abroad and I'm currently working part time setting up the UK subsidiary of a foreign Engineering Company and spent last week moveing my office from London to Ely, which is a bit of a change! wink

Eelpie Tue 27-May-08 20:52:56

Hi Hobbity

Wow you sound busy grin A very interesting gap - I may end up doing the same at this rate! DD has been a bit of a challenge so no more for me yet! Where were you living? Ely is a good choice, lots of us non locals about too.

hobbity Wed 28-May-08 23:29:25

Big gaps are good, you forget how tired you were the first time around! We were in Austria and came back for the warm winters and cold summers...did something wrong there I think! hmm

hobbity Wed 28-May-08 23:29:26

Big gaps are good, you forget how tired you were the first time around! We were in Austria and came back for the warm winters and cold summers...did something wrong there I think! hmm

callmeovercautious Thu 29-May-08 18:36:03

Well looking at todays weather I would say you should go back immediately grin

PhDiva Thu 29-May-08 20:17:02

Hello! Thanks for your efforts, Eelpie. I bet there are more of us out there, considering how many mums you see out and about with babies and little 'uns.

We moved here a few months ago from abroad too, and are very happy here. I am a student in Cambridge, and the commute is very reasonable. I have just one ds 16 months old, whose favorite word is 'duck!' (yes, we live near the river).

hobbity Fri 30-May-08 12:05:17

My ds 15months does a pretty good quack quack too!!

james79 Fri 30-May-08 14:24:51

Hi everyone, I live in near Ely and have one daughter aged 21 months and a baby boy due in 11 weeks! Used to work in Cambridge as a teacher now i'm a SAHM and i love it!

Eelpie Wed 04-Jun-08 21:07:09

Hi All

Sorry I have been away - DD is poorly sad

james79 - our DDs are the same age! Well DD is nearly 21m. I bet we know each other really, possibly just in passing though!

I believe a good Quack is the sign of a real Ely LO. Along with no fear of the river front hmm

PhDiva - there are loads of us! Must be all the new housing and the commuter belt effect. That is why we are here. DP could find work in lots of businesses nearby. I am in HR so can work almost anywhere to some extent.

Question for today - which is your favourite park for all ages? I have just discovered the one behind the Hospital and it looks great, lots of climbing things for older DC. Not been yet but it looks huge. So far DD likes anywhere with swings and see saws.

hobbity Thu 05-Jun-08 20:47:52

The wooden playground in Cherry Hill Park! When (if) the sun does shine on us, its lovely and shady. Hope you DD gets better soon.

james79 Thu 05-Jun-08 21:16:42

Elphie-bet we do know each other, i try to get around to most of the groups going! Hope your little one feels better soon.

I like Cherry Hill Park too, have yet to try the one behind the hospital but have also had good reports from friends. DD likes to climb...!

Eelpie Thu 05-Jun-08 21:17:16

Yes we like that too. Bonus being there are Horses as well!

We acrually managed a picnic there last year and we had a lovely day, the photos of DD and DP are my favourite.

Saker Thu 05-Jun-08 22:22:35

Ooh I don't know either of those playgrounds, not living in Ely. I will have to investigate... Where's Cherry Hill?

Eelpie Thu 05-Jun-08 22:43:19

Cherry Hill leads up from Broad Street (opposite the Jubilee Gardens where the traffic lights are) to Kings School and the Cathedral. Worth a visit.

Saker Thu 05-Jun-08 22:53:06

Thanks - I do know it then, I think we have been sledging there sometimes as being the only hill for miles grin.

hobbity Fri 06-Jun-08 08:56:48

If it ever floods, half of East Anglia will be on that hill! wink

Eelpie Fri 06-Jun-08 20:11:53

See thats why you should live IN Ely not around it. 'tis an Island remember wink

james79 Fri 27-Jun-08 20:31:15

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the sporadic sunshine!
I've got together with a few of my neighbours to hold our garage sales on the same day, Saturday 12th July 10am-2pm. So if you fancy a drive over to Washington Close, Littleport you'll receive a warm welcome. Lots of baby clothes, toys etc plus maternity wear and even a Pimms and Lemonade and Strawberries and cream stall!!

james79 Fri 27-Jun-08 20:36:19

Oh and i've organised a Nearly New Sale (babies and children's stuff!) on Saturday 19th July at Littleport Village Hall on Victoria St. Doors open at 10am and runs till noon. Free entry, lots of bargains and refreshments. All the tables have gone but i am organising another on September 20th (only 4 tables left for that!! and then it's a waiting list). The April sale was hugely popular with over 300 people through the door and lots of fun! Hope to see you there!

Eelpie Sun 29-Jun-08 20:04:20

James79 - They both sound great smile I will keep this bumped for you. Have you listed them on the events board?

james79 Mon 30-Jun-08 17:05:21

Thanks for the reminder Eelpie! Had listed one but not the other..duh! Yes bumpety bump please and thank-you!

Eelpie Mon 30-Jun-08 20:24:27

Bump.

James79 - I am going to sort out the listings as alot are out of date, that should bump yours up the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now