Local Talk

I need recommendations for good primary schools in Enfield..!

(5 Posts)
Lynnsky77 Wed 20-Nov-13 12:32:20

Hi there,

We're looking to move to Enfield in the next year and want to move somewhere that's in the catchment area of a good primary school.

Any recommendations are highly welcome!

Thanks smile

x

TenthMuse Wed 20-Nov-13 13:39:24

Hi OP, I'm a teacher in Enfield so will do my best! It's a big place, though, and quite varied, so it really depends on your budget - some parts are much nicer (and therefore much more expensive!) than others.

As in many places, the very sought-after schools tend to be church schools (in which case previous church attendance is important) or community schools in the more middle-class affluent areas. In the case of the latter, catchment areas are often tiny - about three or four roads in the case of Walker Primary in Southgate. There is quite a serious shortage of school places in some areas of Enfield, so you'll need to do your research and move as close to your chosen school as possible.

A few good options are:

Winchmore Hill/Grange Park - Quite an expensive/middle-class area but does have some more affordable pockets. Most sought after school is probably St Paul's, which is CofE, then Grange Park (huge but very good community primary) and Eversley. Merryhills is another option - academically it's not quite up there with the others, but it's a safe, solid choice with a reputation for being friendly and nurturing.

Enfield Town/Chase - Generally a bit more affordable than WH and convenient for shops/facilities/trains into London. Best schools around here tend to be church schools though - St Michael's (CofE) or St George's (Catholic). St Andrew's (CofE) has traditionally been seen as a 'nice' middle-class primary school. It's been through a bad patch lately with lots of upheaval/staff changes, but it tends to get decent kids and is likely to be on the up again soon. The community options (Chase Side and Lavender) are both OK but a lot more mixed demographically, as their intake tends to come from the more deprived parts of the area. Forty Hill (CofE) is a bit further afield (feels quite 'out of the way') but has a good reputation. George Spicer is another decent option but is about to expand massively to almost 1,000 places (this looks to be a trend, as the population in Enfield is increasingly rapidly)

Southgate - Bit of a schools places crisis round here - Walker School is great, but is constantly in the local paper because it's turning away children who live literally next door and has no room to expand. St Monica's (Catholic) also has a good reputation.

Bush Hill Park/Palmers Green - Raglan is in a 'nice' area and has traditionally been good, but I think results etc have taken a bit of a dip recently. Firs Farm in Palmers Green feels a lot more 'urban' and has a very mixed intake, but it achieves excellent results and is rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.

Not so sure about schools in EN3 (across the A10) or in Edmonton, as I don't have as much direct experience of these areas. As I said, it really depends where in Enfield you're looking to move, whether you'd have the option of a church school, and which schools turn out to have places. Can advise further once you've narrowed down your list if that would help at all (have either taught at or know staff at most of the schools I've mentioned above).

Lynnsky77 Fri 22-Nov-13 10:54:36

Thank you so much, that was VERY helpful!

I have actually lived in Enfield before so know the area a little bit. We have been doing some research, in terms of league tables etc, and have so far narrowed the search down to the area around Enfield Town and Chase Side, but we're still open to look at other areas. Especially, since it seems extremely difficult to find suitable property that happens to be in the catchment area of those schools.. So we really appreciate your advice on those other schools.

I will have a chat with my husband and we'll post again if we can think of any other questions.

Thanks again smile

TenthMuse Fri 22-Nov-13 12:06:06

No problem - glad it was useful! smile I live near Chase Side so very happy to answer any further questions.

Probably a long way in the future, but you might also want to bear secondary school options in mind - the current school of choice seems to be Highlands in Grange Park, but it's increasingly oversubscribed and most of Enfield Town/Chase (except the very top part of Enfield Chase closest to The Ridgeway) would be out of catchment. Otherwise most local children go to Enfield County/Grammar or Chace Community.

Lynnsky77 Fri 22-Nov-13 12:55:01

Yes secondary schools, although still a long way away, are definitely something to consider as well.. thanks for the info! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now