Nelson Road, SS9 3HX - Leigh or Westcliff?

(11 Posts)
Camley15 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:20:49

We have just had an offer accepted on a new build house on the Albany Court development on Nelson Road and would like to know more about this specific road and surrounding areas.

We currently live in London but adore Leigh-on-Sea and have been trying to secure a place south of London Road for a long, long time. After 3 failed purchases, we were forced to broaden our search north of London road and to Chalkwell and Westcliff. We decided to progress with this new build house to avoid another seller pulling out. I think the property will be lovely but we are concerned about the area. Although the postcode is showing as Leigh-on-Sea, some advise the road is actually in Westcliff.

Is Nelson Road a good / bad road? Do you have any information to share please?

allquietonthesouthendfront Tue 13-Sep-16 06:42:19

I know where you mean. That's going to be nice...
It's a good area- it's not as posh as Chalkwell - which is where the massive houses are- and it might not be as trendy as south Leigh which is where all the parking issues are (will you have parking?!!) it is, as you probably have seen, right by, six schools- two grammars b/g, Catholic boys senior, Catholic junior and two other juniors. This will mean a lot of kids and parents at some times- but I wouldn't see it as a problem.
I have lots of friends who live around there, they like it...
Check school catchments if you have DC- on the Southend council website - they can sometimes be odd...

Camley15 Tue 13-Sep-16 07:02:40

It's going to have one parking space and private garden. It seems like the right property for us, we just have hesitations about this particular part of town as we are not familiar with it. We currently do not have children but we hope to in the next 3-5 years. School catchment is Darlinghurst School (primary) and Belfairs Academy (secondary).

allquietonthesouthendfront Tue 13-Sep-16 07:18:02

What are your main worries?
It's a 15/2o minute walk to the station- but quite a nice one -downwards(!) and I guess 15 mins to the centre of Leigh. It might be that it feels too far-out from where everything is happening? I think you'll find that's a good thing! There's a lot of ex Londoners in the area now which is nice- feels more cosmopolitan(?) than it used to.

Camley15 Tue 13-Sep-16 08:23:11

It's a general concern of the unknown. We have spent nearly every weekend over the past 6 months in Leigh but never ventured to that area. We are sinking all of our money into this property so just want to ensure that it doesn't end up being a poor financial decision. Also offsted reports and reviews of Darlinghurst are not that positive.

allquietonthesouthendfront Tue 13-Sep-16 10:09:39

Yeah it's a big decision.

I can't see the property market falling any time soon- anywhere round here would be a good bet- and that is a nice area. I can see if you had your heart set on south Leigh/ sea views etc- it might take some adjusting but those places are out of most mortals reach!

Darling hurst is in a mixed catchment - so yes, it's not as popular as say, westleigh or chalk well, but it is a good school...that's some years away for you tho and schools change all the time...

Whenwillitrain Tue 13-Sep-16 10:25:27

It's a good buy. I know the area well. Yes it's a Leigh postcode. Belfairs is a good school these days, so would be happy with that. Don't know Darlinghurst so can't comment. Do feel free to pm me if you need any info about the area.

gallicgirl Tue 13-Sep-16 12:27:08

It's fine there. Kind of on the border of really nice and just ok. You won't have any concerns with security there. Darlinghurst is ok and you're not too far from Chalkwell schools either.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 13-Sep-16 13:20:13

I grew up around there nice area. Walking distance of Chalkwell Park which is great for kids, near to all the bars and restaurants in Leigh.
Darlinghurst isn't as good as West Leigh or Challwell but know people who send their kids there are happy with it.
Walking distance of Westcliff high schools and st. Thomas moor if you go the 11th plus route. Parents are now falling over themselves to get their kids into Belfairs when it didn't have the best reputation when I was at school 20 years ago.

Chewbecca Tue 13-Sep-16 21:52:18

SS9 means it is Leigh, SS0 is Westcliff. You're on the border though.

It isn't the most favoured area of Leigh but there is nothing wrong with it, it is a pleasant, residential/school area, I wouldn't be concerned.

The reasons for not being the 'most favoured' are
- school catchment - Darlinghurst isn't the best
- distance from station - not too far but the closer the better
- quite close to Leigh's council housing area which can be off putting but it is far from a 'sink' estate & quite tidy
- housing stock in the area - it's a bit more densely packed/ less parking than the Marine/Highlands estate which are generally bigger houses & more spacious roads/gardens
- the roads around the Broadway get away with the above by being a short stumble from the bars/cafes/shops etc.

If the house fits your budget - I'd go for it.

Camley15 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:57:05

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my query. I value your opinions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now