Local Talk

exeter mums

(28 Posts)
emlouexeter Sun 06-May-12 21:24:25

Hi
We have just moved from london to exeter. I have a 6 month old baby boy. we are desperate to meet some other mums ......... my husband works back in london so is only home wednesday night-saturday afternooon.
Would be great if anyone wants to meet.

Emma

Loveleopardprint Mon 07-May-12 21:30:11

Hi,
I have much older children but wanted to suggest that you try "the hub" on cathedral green. It seems to have lots of baby things going on. It is further down from Ask and Orvis. Hope this helps. My husband is in London all week too and I have some great friends which I made at school gates. If I think of anything else to help will let you know. wink

Plaguegroups Mon 07-May-12 21:36:25

Where in Exeter are you based? There are several good sure starts - Beacon Heath, Whipton, St Thomas and Flying start in the centre of town. Bounce and rhyme at the library is also fun for that age.

emlouexeter Mon 07-May-12 21:50:38

Thanks loveleopardprint we will check that out.
We are in pinhoe . The children's centres have been great. Doing our rounds now of toddler groups to find our favourite 

Plaguegroups Mon 07-May-12 22:11:38

There is a fantastic playgroup in the Baptist church in Pinhoe Road (near Polsloe bridge so not actually that close to Pinhoe itself).
I have heard good things about America Hall but it's not one I've been to myself.
Sylvania Hall Tues or Wed mornings is ok but probably better when they get a bit older.
At 6 months I'd definitely try the Beacon Heath sure start new baby group (if you haven't already been), I loved it as it's so much more peaceful than the toddler groups.

emlouexeter Mon 07-May-12 22:21:11

Thanks so much! I'll definately give the new baby group a go .

DanceToTheIslandBeat Sat 12-May-12 14:08:24

The baby & toddler group in Pinhoe is on twice a week at America Hall - Tuesday & Thursday 09.30 onwards. There's a little baby corner and it's been very friendly when I've been.

Also, I think the church have just started a group in Broadclyst called Little Angels? Once a week on a Weds or Thurs, not sure!

Think there is a toddler group in the methodist hall near the station on a Weds (not sure which bit of Pinhoe you are).

Beacon Heath Centre has new baby group (up to 9 mo) on a Friday morning, and stay & play on a Monday, with the weighing clinic and breastfeeding group running at the same time. I've met lots of friends through going there. Also, they have a sensory room you can use during those times, or book separately for yourself/friends and it's fab for little ones & tired mums.

If you're on fb, try joining groups such as Exeter Babies, NCT Exeter etc as these often list other things going on.

NMM Mon 14-May-12 15:56:31

emlouexeter - I'm in same boat as you! Moved to Exmouth from London in Feb and have a 24 month old boy. Husb still working in London (away Tur morning - Thur night). Also desperate to meet other mums - give me a shout if you fancy a coffee or a chat. xx

DanceToTheIslandBeat Mon 14-May-12 22:57:27

The NCT Bumps/Babies group is meeting tomorrow 1-2.30 at St Leonard's Church.

jjemma1 Wed 16-May-12 13:17:38

emlouexeter

I have a nearly 5 month old son and we are also desperate to meet some other mums.
we went along to the NCT group yesturday which waas lovely. Also going to pop along to the hub on the green next week. If you would like to meet for a coffee in town one afternoon that would be good.

I am new on here, dont know if I can message you my details?

katekitkat Wed 16-May-12 22:06:17

Hi emlouexeter, jjemma1 and NMM,

I am also new to the area, we moved from London in February. I have DD 4 yrs and dd 18 months. I have been several times to the Hub on the green every other Tuesday group called babycino (run by the very friendly Arabella), it runs from 1.30 I think until 3 and the next one is next week.

How about this as an idea? is anyone free on Friday morning this week? we could meet for a coffee say at 10am? There is a place called Boston Tea party that has a large upstairs area (tricky with the buggy but lovely once you get up there). My 4 yr old will be at nursery and I will bring a few snacks/toys for my little one.

What do you think?

NMM Wed 16-May-12 22:19:33

I can't do Fridays sad(( (NEED to swap my work days - everything seems to happen on a Fri!).

Boston Tea Party place is lovely. Is there any way at all we could do next week Mon/Tue/Wed???

xx

katekitkat Wed 16-May-12 22:51:35

Hi NMM, sorry I didn't respond to your PM from ages ago.

I can do Monday but I'll have my 4 yr old with me so I may not be able to stay for long.... Could you do 10 am Monday?

NMM Thu 17-May-12 16:19:58

katekitkat - I can do that! My 24mo isn't the best at sitting still either, but quick coffee still sounds good!

katekitkat Thu 17-May-12 19:45:23

Its a date, i'll see you there... hopefully I'll be obvious!

jjemma1 Sat 19-May-12 22:08:42

My little boys is nearly 5 months old, so very good a sitting still - just
I will try & pop along monday morning

NMM Sun 20-May-12 12:07:28

Hooray!

Cactus76 Tue 29-May-12 10:06:37

Hi all, I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Did you all meet up??

I also moved to just outside Exeter recently from London and my partner also works away during the week. I have a 6 year old son and an 11 week old little girl. We are very keen to meet other Exeter mums for coffee, chats and baby stuff!!

Maybe I could hijack your next meet up if you have one??

Elvis44 Wed 30-May-12 08:22:02

Hi everyone,

Like Cactus76, wish I'd seen this thread in time to join in too! Will u be meeting again and if so would it be ok if my 21 month son and I join u? Similarly my partner is only with me at weekends and it would be really good to meet some new people!

WillowWhispers Wed 30-May-12 19:17:57

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to recommend the St Leonards baby and toddler group at St Leonards church on fri AMs and wed PMs - its £1 but really lovely and has refreshments for parents and DC.

I'm often there on a friday if you want a friendly face. Also up for coffees etc although wouldn't manage BTP with 13mo and buggy. Bull Meadow Park is quite nice in this weather - would a teddy bears picnic be an idea? Am happy to be PM'd smile

katekitkat Wed 30-May-12 21:08:35

Hi everyone, we did meet up for a coffee and strangely enough NMM and I met up at st Leonards playgroup today! I haven't been on a friday yet but I will try to make the effort to in the next few weeks. WillowWhispers you'll have to wear a rose in your lapel or something so I can identify you wink

We have said that we will try to get to the hub on the green for the meeting there a week on tuesday. I think it is from 1.30 and whether it is the nct meeting or "babycino" I am sure we would be welcome there.

Looking forward to meeting everyone smile

Cactus76 Wed 30-May-12 23:02:11

Hi there,

I'm liking Willows teddy bear picnic idea!!

I would also be up for the NCT event at the Hub, so hopefully see you there. Maybe lots of red roses in lapels will be needed!

Elvis - hopefully you can make it too.

Looking forward to meeting you. smile

NMM Wed 30-May-12 23:59:44

Loving all the local activity on here! Seems like lots of us are in the same boat.

I'm game for picnic, so count me + DS (24mo) in. We can do Mon/Tue/Wed generally.

Can recommend St. Leonards too - although I did already know katekitkat's friendly face! Going to give NCT/Babycino on alternate Tues a try after half term.

Exmouth Festival is on all this weekend/next week. Lots of free stuff for little people. Give us a shout if you're out this way!

Elvis44 Fri 01-Jun-12 11:13:40

Hi everyone,

Love to join u for teddy bears picnic if it's arranged? Unfortunately, can't do Tuesdays so wont make it week after next and generally afternoons aren't good for us as my 21 month old tends to nap 2 - 4.... But if a picnic is arranged for a morning/lunch time (wed/thurs are best days for us), we'll be there! If the sunshine holds!

Good luck at the hub Cactus - hope u all find each other! Enjoy the Bank Hols! smile

jjemma1 Tue 05-Jun-12 21:21:26

the pinic idea sounds fab,
hope you see lots of you at the hub next week

lovely to meet other mums

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now