Local Talk

Moving to Exeter.

(7 Posts)
purplecake Tue 08-May-12 21:59:29

Hopefully anyway!
Can anybody give me any advice about primary and secondary schools as I am not that familiar with the area. We are looking at both Clyst Vale and St James School, any insights on either of these?
Any help appreciated

Kenworthington Tue 08-May-12 22:04:59

Hi
I dont know much about st James but I know several friends with kids at clyst vale and afaik they seem happy with it. Two have moved there from the same school that ds1 goes to which is a v small private and they've adjusted very well there.
Exeter is a lovely place to live smile when are you hoping to move and from where?

KirstyJC Tue 08-May-12 22:09:02

My friend has 2 daughters at Clyst Vale and she really rates it. Exeter is lovely!

purplecake Tue 08-May-12 22:21:41

We are moving from the Isle of Wight, hopefully looking at moving in the summer but this is all dependent on DH getting work.
It's all a bit daunting as I know so little about the city. Ideally i would like to be pretty near the city but somewhere greenish.
Clyst Vale sounds hopeful though.We are visiting in a couple of weeks so will get a better idea.
what is the area around Stoke Hill and Beacon Heath like?

Kenworthington Wed 09-May-12 13:44:22

To be honest well stoke hill is ok but I wouldn't want to live there. beacon Heath is a bit more on the rough end! Pennsylvania is nice as is st Leonard's though st Leonard's is more pricey. Heavitree is v popular with lots of amenities a brilliant park and walking distance to town. St Thomas is coming up a bit and close to the river and easy five min walk to town and the historic quayside as d cycle routes as far as to the seaside smile (that was terrible grammar sorry!!)
Wonford, exwick, beacon Heath, whipton: not so nice IMO and I have lived here ALL my life!!

purplecake Wed 09-May-12 19:37:26

Thanks kenworthington, that's so helpful.I've been consulting my Exeter A-Z with your advice in mind. I like the sound of Heavitree, the park and proximity to city is appealing, but I wonder about school bus services to Clyst vale? Is there a good primary school in the area?
What are your thoughts about Pinhoe?Just ignore me if too many questions, i'm just excited to get some insider info!

DanceToTheIslandBeat Sat 12-May-12 14:15:08

There is a major downside (imo) to secondaries within Exeter City in that they don't have a 6th form. Clyst Vale does as it's outside the City boundaries. It depends what age your children are etc. Clyst Vale has a good reputation. If you were wanting your DC to go there then you would want to be in Pinhoe or in one of the villages that way ie Broadclyst, Whimple. I think you may not get a place living in Heavitree (I have no idea how admissions work though) and the traffic may make the journey lengthy for DC (there is a very good bus service from the city centre to Broadclyst every 30 mins though).

Pinhoe is nice, good primary, 2 preschools, library, doctors, parks, shop etc. Good for transport, v close to J29 M5 and has a train station (infrequent service though) and v well served for buses. It's a bit twixt & tween in that you're too far to easily walk into town but without the greenery of real countryside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now