Local Talk

Moving to Exeter - advice needed!

(8 Posts)
Clareaf2 Sat 29-Dec-12 20:14:42

Hi, my husband and son (aged 3) are looking to move to Exeter in the new year. Could anyone advise on which areas in Exeter are nice to live especially with a young family? My husband works in Bristol And will be commuting so will need decent access to the M5/ St. David's.

Does anyone have any experiences good and bad of the Exeter Independant schools. Our son will be starting school in September 2013- he suffers with mild high functioning autism and excels in smaller environments a class of 20+ he finds too stressful, we've had details on most of the pre preps in the area but would love to know of anyone's personal experiences.

Many thanks

PinhoePinhole Mon 31-Dec-12 15:04:46

Can't help much on the schools, though i have friends who are happy at St Margaret's.

Area wise, easy access to motorway include Pinhoe, Digby/Sowton, The Rydons, Ide, Clyst St Mary, Cranbrook, parts of St Thomas (also good for St D), Alphington.

Harder for M5 due to traffic but closer to town include St Leonards, Heavitree, Stoke Hill/Pennsylvania.

PinhoePinhole Mon 31-Dec-12 15:09:14

Just remembered, a friend's son struggled at his schoolso they moved him to St Peter's where he is v happy.

JamandSpoon10 Mon 07-Jan-13 12:28:06

We are thinking of moving to Exeter area too and have two young children. Anyone any suggestions for a pretty village or town outside of the city that has a good primary school and easy links to the city centre and the M5, preferably close to open countryside and the coast too? Thank you

chocolatepizza Tue 29-Jan-13 10:19:47

If you had been considering PinhoePinhole's advice - St Peter's is quite a way out of Exeter and St Margaret's is closing down. St Wilfrids in the centre of Exeter near the college is a great little private school with small class sizes The children receive maximum attention and supervision and for a non-selective school the 100% pass rate at GCSE's is excellent. Every pupil is treated as an individual. I would definitely recommend it.

MordionAgenos Tue 29-Jan-13 11:02:22

I wouldn't describe St Peters as 'quite a way out of Exeter'.

redwinegirl Sun 03-Feb-13 13:09:24

Jamandspoon try Honiton or Exmouth, and surrounding villages.

HannahMR Sun 03-Feb-13 14:03:47

There are lots if commuter villages along A30 which links to either a38 or m5. I live in a village called Tedburn St Mary. Lovely community and has a school in the village also x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now