Local Talk

what to do with 1 year old in Exeter?

(6 Posts)
NutSquashButter Thu 07-Feb-13 21:09:33

Only moved here very recently and haven;t had a chance to get out yet. My in-laws are coming this weekend and want to do activities around their grandson, aged one, but I'm a bit clueless. (when I lived here before it was all adult-oriented activities)
Any tips much appreciated

CiderPunk Thu 07-Feb-13 21:42:23

Ooh that sounds lovely! For grandparents and a one year old I would suggest Bicton Park or Escot Park for a day out. In town, there is Dinky's cafe (although that might be a little bit hectic for the GPs!) or you might like a lunch on the comfy sofas inamongst the artworks at the Phoenix Arts Centre. Everyone will enjoy the RAMM and St Nicholas Priory, too.

If you're new to the area have a look at our local meet-ups, and all the classes listed in our "What's On" section.

Have a smashing weekend!

EggFlipped Thu 07-Feb-13 22:17:32

Bicton is great. It's worth getting the annual membership because the gardens and outdoor play are great in the summer and the soft play is open year round. There are also ducks and swans to feed. It's a handy place to take grandparents too.

NutSquashButter Fri 08-Feb-13 08:29:18

Oh brill, thanks!!

CiderPunk Sun 10-Feb-13 20:16:40

How did the weekend go NutSquashButter?

NutSquashButter Tue 12-Feb-13 12:42:28

it was good, if exhausting! didn;t have time for bicton unfortunately but hoping to get to soon. Spent a lot of time in the museum and for outdoors went to northern hay gardens. Also the cathedral while DS slept. Ate at Bill's (not so child-friendly I thought) and Pizza Express - DS fully entertained by paper and pencils provided (even if to small to wield them properly). Amazing that it is really that simple for restaurants to cater to kids. I do think that on the whole the UK is not that child-friendly, in that you have to go to specifically child-friendly places rather than being confident about taking your kids anywhere. We tried the Moroccan on the cathedral square but they didn't have highchairs. Dinkys was closed on Sunday, otherwise would have gone there as sounds ideal
thanks for advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now