Local Talk

What needs to be regenerated or spruced up in Exeter – your ideas please (funding may follow)?

(6 Posts)
CiderPunk Thu 18-Apr-13 23:52:51

We've been talking to the nice people at Spacehive who facilitate crowd funding for local projects, and we'd like to see if we can get a few things done in your area.

The idea is that our lovely Exeter and Devon MNers come up with ideas for things in our community we'd like to see spruced up, made over and totally regenerated: crumbling scout huts, abandoned toilet blocks, empty shops (check out this page spacehive.com/ProjectSearch to get an idea of what projects others have suggested, and check out their spacehive.com/Home/HowItWorks FAQs to get an idea of the process).

You'll need to think about not just what you'd like to see spruced up, but what you'd like to see it turned into.

Spacehive has lots of tools and experts to help cost projects and check feasibility. Then, once we've got a few solid ideas, Spacehive (and Mumsnet - and Mumsnetters!) will promote the projects and - with a bit of luck - between us we can get the money raised to turn your ideas into actual funded projects.

Don't worry, you're not being asked to be architect, project manager or builder: at this stage we're really just interested in finding some good ideas.

We're going to have our very own Mumsnet page on Spacehive to showcase our projects, so if you have an idea, please post it on this thread and we'll take it from there.

What do you say, Exeter? Shall we grab this chance to make a real difference for our city?

CiderPunk Thu 18-Apr-13 23:55:12

Just had a look at their interactive map and there's only 2 projects in Devon so far...

tempo Mon 22-Apr-13 12:17:59

this is brilliant, thanks! I wonder how many local organisations know about Spacehive?

CiderPunk Mon 22-Apr-13 22:41:12

Exeter City Council have said that they can link us up with their parks & community groups if we have any bright ideas.

I always think that the play area in St Thomas is badly in need of a facelift, it's a lovely little spot with its paddling pool, but last time I went there were so many empty patchs where things had been taken down. Could do with a few more benches too.

CiderPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 22:26:17

also not sure how this would work from a community point of view, but Exeter is badly lacking a good-sized soft play area. There are a couple of great small ones, but the city could really benefit from something like that, both for residents and for tourists when the weather is bad.

just trying to think of a suitable venue... of course the poor old High Street is pretty empty these days. If it offered a creche service for shoppers too... how fantastic would that be?

bbbiscuits Mon 06-May-13 19:27:18

The 2nd Exeter scout goup in Heavitree are having to find a new home as the scout hut is way past it's useful life. Many children go there it's a very busy group and other community groups use it in the daytime. I think the group is joining forces with a community group to build a new hut in Heavitree park for many different Exeter residents to us. I suspect they would very much appreciate some funds.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now