Local Talk

Local Site of the Week - EXETER feature now up

(10 Posts)
EdMumsnet Mon 24-Jun-13 12:16:12

Exeter is up for our 'Site of the Week' feature series next week on the main Mumsnet site. We'll be asking the Exeter Editor some questions but we'd also like to canvas your opinions to add some wit and wisdom to the feature, so feel free to provide us with your input for the following things:

Best THING ABOUT THE AREA:

Best CHILD-FRIENDLY CAFÉ:

Best CHILD-FREE NIGHT OUT:

Best OUTSIDE SPACE:

Best HIDDEN GEM:

Best COMMUNITY VENUES:

Best FREE VISITOR ATTRACTIONS:

Best DAY OUT:

Best PLACES TO LIVE:

Best PLACES TO SHOP:

tempo Mon 24-Jun-13 18:57:45

Best THING ABOUT THE AREA: Exeter is the 'City in the Country' - friendly, forward looking but full of history and culture. Big enough to be vibrant but small enough to get to know really well. Close to lovely beaches and easy access to Dartmoor National Park

Best CHILD-FRIENDLY CAFÉ: Real McCoy Cafe/bar. Phoenix Arts Centre Cafe. The Welcome Cafe

Best CHILD-FREE NIGHT OUT: Phoenix Arts Centre. Northcott Theatre

Best OUTSIDE SPACE: Historic Quayside. Exeter Ship Canal

Best HIDDEN GEM: Exeter's Red Coat Walking Guides

Best COMMUNITY VENUES: The Hub on the Green. St Sidwell's Centre

Best FREE VISITOR ATTRACTIONS: Royal Albert Memorial Museum. Quay House Visitor Centre. Cricklepit Mill.

Best DAY OUT: East Devon - The Jurassic Coast

Best PLACES TO LIVE: Anywhere

Best PLACES TO SHOP: The independent shops and traders of Fore street

HannahMR Sun 30-Jun-13 17:48:51

Best THING ABOUT THE AREA: the quwerky architecture and history - Exeter

Best CHILD-FRIENDLY CAFÉ: orange Elephant ice cream parlour smile

Best CHILD-FREE NIGHT OUT: it's been a while! But Exeter Comedy Club at the corn Exchange is always a winner!

Best OUTSIDE SPACE: the quay. A lovely walk with some cafes and open green spaces along the waterfront.

Best HIDDEN GEM: can I say orange elephant again?! In particular, the ice cream!!

Best COMMUNITY VENUES: hub on the green offers a wide variety of events for all ages.

Best FREE VISITOR ATTRACTIONS: any of the local farm shops. My dd loves the chickens and ducks!!

LCMoule Sun 30-Jun-13 19:27:23

Best outside space : We went to Heavitree Park today for the 1st time - sadly we didn't realise there was a paddling pool or we would have taken towels!

Best free attraction - technically not Exeter but my son loves the Donkey Sanctuary at Sidmouth (clean toilets and a nice cafe)

Best child free night out - if you want a posh meal out then go to the conservatory be warned though the puddings are huge so 3 courses is a challenge :-)

LCMoule Sun 30-Jun-13 19:28:30

By the way where is the orange elephant ice cream parlour??

Rutwe Sun 30-Jun-13 19:47:27

Best thing about the area: that we can get out to the seaside or countryside in about 20 minutes which is handy for picnics all year round, we go paddling even in winter
Best child friendly cafe, haven't sampled all of the many many lovely cafes we have with home made cakes but the cafe in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum is very child friendly as is my local Cafe at 36 in St Thomas
Best child free out, we like going to the Exeter Picturehouse, Firehouse (good pizza!) and the Phoenix for their alternative puz quizzes
Best outside space, so many to choose from, we have our local pleasureground in St Thomas which has a paddling pool and is soon to get a makeover with brand new water play park..we really like getting on our bikes down to the quayside and then onwards to canal/ estuary side pubs..
Best hidden gem, not that hidden but amongst the fab independents shops on Fore Street our kids love love Make Art where your kids can paint pots, t shirts, make jewellery and lots of lovely stuff. My mum in law also swears by St Nicholas Priory on the Mint, friendly guides making an historical place fun for kids ( especially on a rainy day)
Best free visitor attractions, have mentioned some already and it's not strictly an attraction but we like visiting Darts Farm shop in Topsham, there's a playground outside and of course incredibly delicious (and luxury!) food inside, it's tricky not to spend too much but you can do as we do and get cake and coffee to go and sit outside while the kids run wild...

HannahMR Mon 01-Jul-13 20:36:46

Orange elephant is at the bottom of Haldon Hill. By Kennford.
You won't be surprised to hear I've written a review on Mumsnet about it.
Ill arrange an Exeter outskirts meet for a couple of weeks time x

EdMumsnet Tue 02-Jul-13 09:29:15

Thanks for all the answers, guys!

Here's a link to the finished feature: Reasons to live in Exeter

CiderPunk Tue 02-Jul-13 20:22:54

Thank you everyone for your Exeter reviews, and Ed for building the site, I think we've done the city proud smile

I can see a queue forming at Orange Elephant at this rate HannahMR!

tempo Wed 03-Jul-13 10:50:56

Excellent work there Mrs Boss smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now