views on Montgomery Primary??

(7 Posts)
ozzy1A Thu 04-Feb-16 15:03:30

Hi. We are moving to Exeter later this year and I am looking for a good school for my 8 and 5 yr old children... Montgomery looks very interesting on the website.. Can anyone give me some information on what the school is like and whether children enjoy their time there? Thanks x

scubastevie Mon 08-Feb-16 13:46:52

Hi ozzy1A. We will be sending my dd there soon. Its a very forward thinking school. I have a degree in education and I am very impressed, if youve watched the video on their homepage then you will understand why. I work in early years and their foundation unit is very well resourced (lots of open ended resources that promote creativity and learning). I am really hoping they are going to be 'outstanding' at next inspection as they are in the ofsted window now.
Sorry its not a first hand experience but hopefully still helpful. Best thing to visit and get a feel for it. The building is fantastic, they also have an outside garden/growing area which wasnt shown to us but Ive seen since. I think you really have to be in catchment to get in though. Let me know what you think x

MissMol Mon 08-Feb-16 13:54:46

Hi there my kids go to Redhills which is just up the road and I can't fault it. It's completely brilliant. No first hand experience of Montgomery I'm afraid other than its got a posh new building!

ozzy1A Mon 08-Feb-16 18:19:45

thanks both... we will be in the catchment area - but everywhere is very oversubscribed so we will just have to take what we get! Looking round Montgomery later this week, also st Thomas primary.. Hadn't crossed my mind to look at Redhills so maybe that is next on the list!

MissMol Mon 08-Feb-16 20:51:44

At Thomas is quite small and a bit of a waiting list afaik. Bowhill is also likely to be in your catchment (in fact more likely than St Thomas), re Redhills, the current head is amazingly good at getting funding for stuff, so much going on and often cheap or free eg dd (yr 6) has just come back from a 5 day exhange in Spain for the princely sum of £30 , there's another one coming up in April to Latvia. Super cool. She has an amazing time. She's my last dc to leave this year and I'll be gutted when she leaves in July, her teachers (esp her current one) are lovely

MissMol Mon 08-Feb-16 20:59:24

Oh also just to add, please don't ne put off (at many of these schools) by things like high SEN and high percentage of fsm. It's quite a diverse area I think and as a result there's qyite a high level of funding and assistance within the schools. It's certainly the case at our school, which is a good thing I think. Hth

ozzy1A Sun 01-May-16 18:09:02

Hi Scubastevie.... Just to let you know that my children have both got into Montgomery (by the skin of their teeth!) and will be starting there after the half term break in June. It does look like a really creative forward thinking school so I'm really excited! Will let you know how it works out!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now