Schools in Exeter

(9 Posts)
melissaJ Tue 12-Apr-16 14:10:18

Hi all. We are relocating to Exeter. We have an 8 & 9 year old so I'm asking for recommendations on good state primary schools. Also as my daughter has one academic year until she starts Secondary so I'd also love to hear from anyone with info on good secondary's too! Thanks in advance xx

LocalEditorExeter Tue 19-Apr-16 10:35:38

Hi Melissa,

I've just shared this on Facebook - thanks so much for popping along here.
We are in village outside Exeter - here are my thoughts:

Have heard good things about St Leonards, Broadclyst and Ide (village near Alphington).

Topsham has always had a good rep but very pricey!

Woodbury (village between Exmouth and Exeter) has great reputation.

A new Digital school is opening (West Clyst) which is tied to Broadclyst and sounds fantastic - let me know if you need more details.

Dunsford has excellent reputation - and they are looking outside the catchment area because they're a small school and they have a large year group leaving at top of school, and a small one entering. Fantastic facilities - there is another thread about it on here. Villages near Dunsford are Longdown and Tedburn.

However, I can't help at all on secondary schools. I'm clueless!! Vaguely heard good things about Crediton. Lots of people I know send children to Teign but not sure what it's like. Will have to ask. Torquay Grammar meant to be good but obviously dependent on whether you get in.

Best of luck x

Tinalou115 Tue 19-Apr-16 13:04:19

I live in West Hill and it has an outstanding primary and Kings as secondary. West Hill can be hard to get in to, but Ottery primary is very modern and Tipton St John has a lovely village feel. All of which are feeders to Kings which has good reputation and Collaton Grammar (need to be very academic). Good luck xx

Tintinn Wed 20-Apr-16 12:46:12

There are some decent primaries around - look at areas with secondaries in mind first, and then check the primaries.
At secondary - some of the out of town schools have a good reputation - look at Clyst Vale, Crediton, Teignmouth, and I was very impressed by Exmouth at their open day. In Exeter, maybe West Exe, and St James has improved a lot. St Peter's has lost its reputation, such as it was. Unless you go for one of the grammars - Colyton or Torquay. Torquay slightly easier to get into and are very good, if you don't mind single sex.

Demant0 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:34:04

Hello, we are also moving to Exeter this summer and are frantically making arrangements! Just want to say thank you for this information as am looking for schools for my 8 year old son. We are central and have approached St Michael's but have been told unlikely as have a waiting list and also St Leonards but am going to look around St Leonards anyway.

Wooderswummie Wed 08-Jun-16 21:04:29

I'm in Woodbury. The school is lovely- very gentle but also academic. The children love it!

WhycantIhavemyusualname Thu 09-Jun-16 00:30:36

The primary at Awliscombe is very nurturing, not sure what its academic rep is.

Broadhembury primary is lovely but tiny, so they have mixed age classes.

Kings is still good as a secondary.

Do not look at Honiton for anything.

Clarepears Thu 09-Jun-16 01:03:18

I'm so glad I've found this as we have just found out we are relocating to Exeter too! We need to be near the airport for my husband's job and we are looking for a village feel with access to the city and sea. We have a 5 and 2 year old so looking for good schools and amenities. This information is a great start so thanks very much X

tint Thu 09-Jun-16 11:24:20

I would definitely start by looking at secondary catchment areas. When you have an idea of the secondaries you like, then look at primaries. My preferred state secondaries near exeter would be kings or uffculme.

Primary schools in town are generally full, those more rurally under subscribed and desperate for kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now