Local Talk

Escaping to the country - but where?

(9 Posts)
littlepix Mon 22-Mar-10 22:39:21

Hi - I'm moving out of London to East Devon soon and was hoping to hear from other mums living in the area. Thinking about the Ottery St Mary area. Anyone got any hot tips about where to live and what life is like there for families? Feels like a big step with three children, so any help or ideas would be fantastic. Thanks

littlejen Wed 14-Apr-10 20:32:00

Hello! I currently live in Exeter, but i am about to move to Sidmouth, which is a few miles from Ottery near the coast. Ottery is lovely - the secondary school is one of the best around this area. Life for families is great. There is so much going on for kids of all ages, and the countryside is wonderful. East Devon is one of the safest places to live in the UK and really is a mixture of retired folk and families. I have lived in London with my two little ones, then Exeter and now taking the step further into the countryside. Go for it! Jenna x

Dimplesmum Fri 16-Apr-10 19:31:59

Hi. I live a few miles from Ottery in a village, Whimple. I've really grown to like Ottery, it's a small town but has a large variety of shops and several good eateries. Surrounded by lovely countryside, lots of places in the area to take kids and most places have season tickets that are really good value if you go back more than twice eg. Bicton, Crealy. Depends if you want a village location or town, Ottery and nearby villages seem pretty good value; Sidmouth more expensive. Sidford a bit cheaper but I feel it misses any village feeling. Depends what you are looking for of course! Let me know if you want more info. I've moved down from Oxfordshire in the last year and it certainly feels a slower pace of life (in a good way).

darcymum Fri 16-Apr-10 19:45:29

I live in East Devon and I think is a great place to bring up children. I hope when mine grow up they remember their childhood full of picnics on the beach. If you move into the catchment area of a good school you are pretty much guaranteed a place as well.

Bicnod Sun 12-Sep-10 19:05:54

This is very interesting. DH and I are planning to move from London near Exeter in the next year or so and I didn't know where to start finding out about what the different villages are like.

We're looking for a lively village/small town close to the coast - somewhere with a bit of life to it, but also want to be somewhere small/close to countryside.

We're both keen windsurfers so being close to a beach would be perfect.

Any more thoughts from local MNers?

FessaEst Tue 14-Sep-10 14:37:08

East Devon is lovely, as is Ottery - a word of warning thoough, as some of the houses are only available to buy for people who have lived/worked in Devon for 3 years.

Bicnod, the towns/villages on the Exe estuary ie Lympstone & Topsham might suit you. Exmouth is a funny ol' town but kite & windsurfing v popular - living within easy distance might be perfect for you. Everywhere round here is pretty close to countryside!

LocalFamilyStuffDotCom Mon 10-Oct-11 14:18:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

whenhenshaveteeth Wed 06-Jun-12 14:35:58

We've recently moved from London to Devon. We're in exeter at the moment but are planning to move to east devon soon - it hasn't been easy everyday but it's so worth, we can go to the beach in 20 min! I probably couldn't even go to Sainsbury's in 20 min when i lived in London...

There's sooo much to do with children here and although I missed my friends at first and still miss them now, I've met lovely mums here and I don't feel lonely anymore.

Good luck!

ladybay53 Fri 27-Jul-12 00:07:31

Hi, we are looking to move to the South East and considering the Sidmouth area as a location (as we are currently land locked in Nottingham!). Can anyone give an insight to living in Sidmouth or villages nearby such as Newton Poppleford? We have a 5 & 9 year old, so need to consider primary (and secondary in the near future). Is Sidmouth College a good school? I know it's results aren't great, but it gets a good ofsted, so a parents' honest opinion would be great. We have made a brief visit to the exeter area and although ottery st. mary has the good secondary school, we didn't love the place. As we're moving from a big inland city, we've decided that we would like to be as near to the coast as possible, but we have to consider keeping the children happy and not be too remote as we want to be near amenities/sports clubs etc. Any insight would be most welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now