Local Talk

Any other pregnant ladies out there ?...

(121 Posts)
mibbes Fri 01-Aug-08 19:51:41

Are there any pregnant ladies from the Falkirk area out there ? I am due DC1 in Dec 08, I live in Larbert and would love to chat to other mums/mums-to-be in the area.
Am looking for classes for pregnancy exercise that don't run during the day when I'm at work - aquanatal, yoga, anything really ! Anyone know of any ?
Also keen to hear about NCT classes locally - are they worth it ?
Anybody out there...?

Joj26 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:19:41

Hi, I am due 29th Nov, live in Stenhousemuir. Also having issues trying to find exercise classes outwith working hours - all aquanatal is during the day and not really found anything else.

I have signed up for NCT classes, they are being held in Linlithgow but I know we got a cancellation so if you are interested then probably best contact them asap. Haven't started them yet so can't say yet if they are worth it but I can't attend the ante-natal classes at the hospital as they are during the day.

mibbes Fri 01-Aug-08 22:47:16

Hi Joj26 ! ooh you are really close and due a week before me smile ! Glad it is not just me struggling to find exercise classes aimed at PG women - I thought there would be something ! Why on earth do they make the aquanatal classes in the afternoon when many mums-to-be work ?

I'll look into the NCT classes - I thought there were NHS ones in the evening - I'd better check with MW next week, don't want to miss out altogehter.

Is this your first too ? How has your PG been so far ? I've been doing Erin O'Brien antenatal DVD in an attempt to keep fit but not much fun in your own living room ! I also have a yoga dvd (Tara Lee) and the Davina one if you want to borrow/copy them ?

Thanks for responding lovely to hear from a local lady in the same position smile

linziloo Sun 03-Aug-08 20:17:09

Hiya
I'm from Carronshore and due on the 4th of January. I've managed to wangle a Wednesday off work and intend to start the aquanatal at the mariner centre. I dont know of anything else around the Falkirk area for PG women who work.

Joj26 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:33:46

Hiya, yeah tis a bit rubbish that working mums-to-be aren't catered for. Linziloo, sounds like your work are a bit more understanding, no way I would be able to wangle that. Alloa does have a class at 6.30 on a Thurs apparently (http://aquanatal.co.uk/Scotland.htm) but still might be a pain for me to get back from Glasgow in time, need to look into it a bit more.
This is my first and seem to have been quite lucky so far, no issues and feeling fine.
Mibbes, am impressed by your fitness DVDs, I have got several books out the library which I am following the exercises on but not as regularly as I should. I count walking to and from train station to work as my main exercise.

mibbes Mon 04-Aug-08 15:17:26

Hi linziloo - have you had 20 week scan yet ? Is this your first too ? Nice one getting time off work smile there is no way I'd be able to wangle that !

Ha, Joj26 don't be too impressed, am not always good at motivating myself to actually do the DVDs after a day at work - lounging in front of TV is generally more appealing wink. Walking from Stenhousemuir to (I assume) Larbert train station and back is pretty impressive daily exercise for a pregnant lady ! I live 5 mins from the station so my daily walk is less impressive !
Have also had a pretty smooth ride so far and count myself very lucky as have heard loads stories of others with various problems.

I assume you are both having your babies in Stirling too ? Have either of you gone to the physiotherapy ante-natal-type class recommended for 14-26 weeks ? I noticed a wee leaflet about it at the back of my maternity notes. I am hoping to get booked on one soon - should be able to get time off work for that.

Joj26 Mon 04-Aug-08 21:07:25

Hi, I went to the physio class a few weeks back. Some of it was quite useful (hard to tell as the woman who took it loved going off on tangents and boy could she talk ) Other stuff was fairly straight forward but always worth hearing it from an expert. Gave me the chance to ask questions about exercises and stuff - not that i have done many since blush.

Meant to say Mibbes, let me know what the MW says re the classes as was still planning to go to NHS ones as well if poss. I had to phone the hospital in Stirling to ask as forgot to ask MW but she said worth double-checking on my next visit which isn't until Sept.

mibbes Mon 04-Aug-08 22:47:09

Cool I'll get myself booked in for the physio class. Would maybe be interested in trying the Alloa aqua class - like you it depends if I can get home from work in time for it.
I'll let you know what MW says about AN classes - I think you can go to either Falkirk or Stirling, will find out times and days. Anything else you specifically want to know ?
My baby seems to find it fun to start kicking at bedtime shock doesn't make for a restful night !

Joj26 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:57:34

I might try and see next week if I can manage getting back in time for the Alloa class as a trial run. Meant to phone the Mariner today to see if the Aqua-aerobics class they run in evenings is also suitable for PG people but forgot.
Can't think of anything else for MW but thanks Mibbes.
Yeah, my baby also waits until I am lying down and getting settled and then starts its karate practice shock It tries the same technique to make sure I am awake in the morning too!!

mibbes Wed 06-Aug-08 13:30:22

Let me know how you get on with aquanatal classes, may see you in Alloa then smile

I notice on the other thread that you also did a degree in French - what a coincidence ! I did mine at Glasgow Uni - where was yours ? I don't use my French in my job now though, am very rusty !

Have just spent my lunch hour surfing for pregnancy yoga/pilates/any exercise class in Central Scotland but to no avail. There are quite a few classes in Glasgow, don't know if they'd be any good to you after work ?

Joj26 Fri 08-Aug-08 17:00:39

Hi, will let you know then if I am def going.

Mine was at Strathclyde and don't use the language at all apart from holidays so also very rusty.

TO be honest I hadn't even considered looking in Glasgow as an option but if after work then should probably consider. Whereabouts do you work? I am in Waterloo Street.

mibbes Fri 08-Aug-08 23:47:51

I work in Stirling so no long commute for me. Lived in the West End of Glasgow until 2 years ago when we deicded to move to the 'sticks' wink

I have just realised that I completely forgot to ask MW about AN classes today. I also forgot to ask about MAT B1 form - knew I should've written my questions down - my memory is like that of a fish at the moment blush. She asked me if I had any questions and I racked my brains and just said no and walked out - what a tube ! I had a lovely MW today - think she was called Vicky. The trainee MW found HB straight away which was a relief - it took ages last time.

I contacted NCT and am on a waiitng list for a class for Dec babies - the lady said that if there are more enquiries maybe she'll set up another class. She is also passing my details onto the Stirling NCT people in case they have space - glad I called now ! There is a NCT sale in Stirling in Sept in case you're interested.

Yes let me know if you plan going - I'll be pushed for time but may just make it to Alloa for 6.30.

Joj26 Sun 10-Aug-08 15:21:49

Had a look at Glasgow classes and all the ones i could find are in the suburbs which would just be too much hassle. So you are newish to the area then as well? We moved into the area when we got married 3 years ago as I work in Glasgow, DH in Edinburgh.

I'm glad it is not just me, given that I also forgot to ask MW about classes and MAT B1

Let's hope you can get in then. I saw the details for the Stirling sale, I think I should be about that day so may pop along for a nosey.

Will let you know b4 Weds night as depends on how work goes this week. hmm

Joj26 Sun 10-Aug-08 15:30:03

Change of plan - thought I better check and just as well as Alloa no longer run the aquanatal class
The woman on reception said that you could join in their 'normal' aquaerobics providing you are used to exercise and don't strain yourself although maybe best to talk to the instructor. Classes there are 8-9 on Tues and 7.30 - 8.30 on Thurs. Going to give them a call on Tues when instructor should be about.
Checked others in the area and Falkirk are not running any aquaerobics during school holidays and not sure when back on as looking for new instructor. Can't get through to Grangemouth at all.

mibbes Mon 11-Aug-08 09:46:58

Oh that is a pity - I actually emailed the Alloa pool as I figured best to check it still existed, but they haven't responded yet. The Thu one is quite a good time so if instructor says it is ok maybe worth a try. It'd definitely be better if it were a class aimed at pregnant ladies though hmm. I am genuinely shocked at the total lack of provision in the area for pregnant ladies who want to be active ! There seems to be loads of choice in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Where did you move from ? We also moved here for the convenience as DP is a contractor so ideal to be positoned in the middle where trains go to both Edinbugh and Glasgow smile. And also after 8 years of travelling the A80 I was desperate to be closer to work wink

Joj26 Wed 13-Aug-08 13:17:59

Didn't get hold of instructor last night unfortunately Can't believe how difficult this is, think I am going to just have to force myself to go swimming one night a week instead.

I was living by Glasgow Green before we moved through to Falkirk then made the move to the wonder of Stenhousemuir 2 years ago.

mibbes Wed 13-Aug-08 13:49:35

hmm that is a pity - why is it so bl00dy difficult, all we want is a simple aquanatal class once a week ! I'll maybe give a few places a call this afternoon.

mibbes Wed 13-Aug-08 17:01:21

I tried Bo'Ness and Grangemouth and they don't do aquanatal classes. Mariner only afternoons after school holidays and I can't think of anywhere else there may be a pool nearby sad.
Looks like I'll be continuing with the DVDs then wink zzzz...
Let me know if you find a pool where it is not too busy and not full of children jumping in ! Swimming is not a favourite sport of mine but I guess it is good support for those pregnant joints smile

Joj26 Thu 14-Aug-08 14:47:39

This is indeed rubbish, by the time I get myself sorted I'll be into my 3rd trimester where apparently you have to start calming down the exercise you do Granted part of it is my fault given that I bought a tankini back in June and have done nothing since but that is not the point Swimming is apparently still good for you till late on anyway.

I know there are ladies only nights where it should be safer but won't be going till week after next as I'm away with work next week

lingobaby Sat 23-Aug-08 22:33:55

Hello!

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I thought I might catch both of you on here. I noticed on the other thread that you are both quite interested in the lingobaby sessions at Larbert library. They will be running through to next summer and then from next August - following the academic year really - so there will be sessions for your wee ones. You can drop me an email at lingobaby@googlemail.com for more info.

On a more personal note, I have an 8 month old son and have lived in Stenhousemuir this past year. Ruairi was due 22nd Nov and born Dec 3rd so I guess I'm almost exactly a year ahead of you both! I did go to a couple of the aqua natal classes at the Mariner Centre and they were great. However I could only go once I started my maternity leave so I can totally understand your frustration at not finding anything to attend whilst you are still working. Hope you find something!

Fiona

Joj26 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:17:30

Great, thanks for the update

mibbes Tue 26-Aug-08 19:20:33

Thanks lingobaby - will definitely be getting signed up for the French classes next year smile. I also have a few friends who are quite local and have recently had babies so will pass on the details of the course wink

lingobaby Sat 30-Aug-08 22:02:24

Hello!

Thank you both, hope you and your bumps are keeping well.

Look forward to meeting you all next year :-)

Fiona

Joj26 Sun 31-Aug-08 16:42:24

Oh dear, another week gone and still no exercise. Think bump is making up for it though but kicking the cr@p out of me . Seems to have taken up residence near my ribcage and is quite uncomfortable.

Having been to 2 NCT classes now and hearing how much more organised everyone else is I'm starting to think we need to start planning a bit better. Saving grace is that my due date is one of the latest in the class wink but still am now concerned where I wasn't before. Think I will definitely be paying a visit to that NCT sale

mibbes Mon 01-Sep-08 19:30:47

Oh dear Jojo - what are all of the other ladies doing that is so organised ? I bet I'm not doing it either so don't worry ! We were away for a few days last week so I managed to go swimming a couple of times - it made me resolve to find a local pool where I can go, so I'd better get on with it ! When is the NCT sale ? I need to get along there too and get some bargains smile. Have been offered a place on a NCT course but it is an intensive one at weekends and in Livingstone - haven't decided yet whether to take it yet as not as local as I'd hoped and I'd rather do the weekly evenings one, how have your classes been so far ?
My bump seems to have popped right out in the past few weeks - feel like a 'proper' pregnant burd now !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now