Local Talk

Steam trains in Fife!

(9 Posts)
singingchipie Wed 24-Apr-13 12:15:42

For all you parents with Thomas the Tank Engine obsessed children...

http://www.srps.org.uk/railtours/programme.htm

The steam train made two trips through Fife on Sunday which we saw from Kirkcaldy station, it was pretty spectacular to see it going past with all the steam pouring out the funnel! My wee boy finally understood where the 'choo choo' noise came from!

I have it on pretty good authority from the staff at Kirkcaldy station that another steam train is to pass through Kirkcaldy at 7pm tonight (Wednesday 24 April) so we will try to get down to see that too.

Happy train spotting smile

TeaAndTunnocks Thu 25-Apr-13 17:52:11

ooh, I saw someone in Dundee posting about seeing a steam train. Was wondering where it was from.

chesticles Wed 22-May-13 12:18:47

There will be a steam train going along the fife circle line on Sunday 16th Apr, in the morning. I know as I'll be on it. Special birthday treat for DH hmm Yes, that is correct DH not DC!

TeaAndTunnocks Mon 27-May-13 19:21:36

oooh, that sounds like a lot of fun, Chesticles. What is the name of the company that organises that? I can see a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine fans being interested.

chesticles Mon 27-May-13 21:54:50

It's the SRPS (Scottish rail preservation society) . Serious train geeks really, but everyone likes seeing a steam train go past! It's quite expensive to go on the train ( apparently it's a special one, like i'd know the difference hmm. We are leaving Edinburgh at 9.45 on Sunday morning and going round the fife circle line. There is a trip on the Sunday afternoon too but it heads from Edinburgh, across the bridge and towards Stirling. We've been with the kids to the steam train at bo'ness which they loved and you can get it with tesco vouchers too!

TeaAndTunnocks Mon 03-Jun-13 11:26:45

There was something in the paper at the weekend about a steam train being cancelled. Was hoping it wasn't your trip, Chesticles.

chesticles Tue 04-Jun-13 09:08:56

Yup, sadly that was DH's birthday trip cancelled. The afternoon train is still running (but fully booked now) and will pass through Thorton sometime in the late afternoon, but the morning one is cancelled.

Yvonneprintemps Thu 11-Jul-13 02:08:30

We used to live at Aberdour station and my sons spent hours watching trains go by while I read Grazia. We saw steam trains, diesels, old diesels, intercity and freight trains and coal trains. A varied diet! It was fab.

singingchipie Sat 13-Jul-13 22:37:24

It's just the simple things isn't it? Apparently there is a dad who takes his son to the train station for an hour then they walk down to the bus station and watch buses for an hour. Then they go home. I have a feeling I'll be doing that in a years time with my wee boy! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now