Local Talk

Shawlands or Newlands nursery advice.

(14 Posts)
fannybaws Mon 20-Sep-10 12:44:20

Hi we are moving to the area and I was wondering what Deanpark or Langside nurseries are like TIA

fannybaws Mon 20-Sep-10 21:02:35

bump

midnightexpress Mon 20-Sep-10 21:08:42

Don't know either of these, but my DSs used to go to Heritage House on Albert Drive, which was great (although they left two years ago). Not sure if that's too far for you?

nulgirl Mon 20-Sep-10 21:10:08

I have got friends who send their kids to both nurseries. I have heard more positive feedback about Deanpark than Langside but I think they are both quite good. My dd goes to Shawbridge which will be closing and moving to the new Tinto school once it opens. I love her nursery and the staff are fabulous.

I would say that the best thing to do would probably go with the one that is closest and easiest to access. Which primary school will your dc be going to? Lansgide nursery is attached to Battlefield not Langside Primary and it is probably best to chose the one where they will then transfer to school with her classmates

Well neither of these are in Newlands. Deanpark is in Shawlands and Langside is next to Battlefield school. In newlands there is a new build council nursery next to merrylee primary. There is also going to be a new nursery in the new Tinto Primary school on Netherauldhouse road.
I've only ever been in Deanpark and only once. I didnt like the look of it so never went back. It is heavily oversubscribed though so you will have to book a place well in advance. It is the main feeder nursery for Langside Primary.

There are also quite a few playgroups in the area.

fannybaws Mon 20-Sep-10 21:38:22

Thank you for the replies Langside primary will be the nearest primary school, I did not know there was a nursery at Merrylee primary though,so will investigate that. When is the Tinto school likely to open? Will have a drive around and figure out which route might be easiest dont fancy walking up millbrae hill twice a day smile

midnightexpress Mon 20-Sep-10 21:51:46

think of your thighs fanny, think of your thighs grin

nulgirl Mon 20-Sep-10 22:00:41

That hill would put me off Langside nursery. Imagine those pavements on a frosty january morning. If your nearest primary is Langside than I would recommend Deanpark. My niece goes to Langside primary and it is a great school.

I have heard that there is problems with getting a place at Limetree nursery which is at the new Merrylee primary. The nursery apparently prioritises children who are referred from Social Services and have extra support needs and so takes lots from out of catchment area. Think this has meant that in-catchment children find it harder to get a place.

The new nursery/ school at Tinto is meant to open some time this year - possibly xmas or easter. Am very excited about it opening as my dd will be starting P1 in Aug and my ds will be starting at the nursery - oh and its at the end of my road.

fannybaws Mon 20-Sep-10 22:02:30

Thighs are currently growing at an alarming rate so maybe I should pick the nursery furthest away!

fannybaws Mon 20-Sep-10 22:08:07

Thanks nulgirl its great to hear good things about Langside primary the HMEI report was done in 2004 so a wee while ago now.
Am very envious of your proximity to nursery and school we are 5 mins from nursery at the mo and I love the ease of getting tired LOs home.
Will be picking your brains about playgroup s ect too as have a Ds aged 2 and a bump due in Feb and will need to get out every day to stay sane I think.grin

foreverastudent - Do you mind me asking what you didn't like about Deanpark Nursery? Feel free to tell me to mind my own. smile

nulgirl Small world - The new Tinto Primary/Nursery is also on my road!

Hope you get fixed up with something. I once walked up Millbrae Hill with a heavy baby in a pram. Found another route after that. grin

It smelled of pee and the woman who greeted me at the door was not very pleasent. Nothing huge, I know people who rave about it but it just wasn't for me.

grin at 'smelled of pee'.
Thanks for the response.

tlgb Mon 03-Jun-13 14:05:07

Hi, my little one has been in Deanpark for the last 2 years and I have nothing but praise for all of the staff. It's a wonderful caring and nurturing environment. The staff will update you everytime you arrive and when anything occurs that your kid us involved in, they deal with the situation accordingly. They understand and care for all of the kids in their group and deal with them all as individuals, taking their personality and abilities into account at all times. They provide classes on varying subjects for parents and this allows those who are new to get involved with other parents and make friends. The outside play area is great. Don't be fooled by the exterior of this nursery, it's fantastic as you will see from the report. One of the few nurseries with an excellent rating. Most private nurseries in the area do not have this. I could go on for hours about this place but you can only judge by going there. Also, good luck in getting a place. It's usually pretty full as everyone is trying to get in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now