To move or not to move...

(41 Posts)
CityortheBurbs Mon 28-Mar-11 22:28:08

have namedchanged for this...

We are currently staying in Knightswood, in an end-of-terrace, 3 beds 1930's house. The plot is nice, with a shed, the view is good (if you blink out the towers in the background and focus on the golf course); we're not overlooked at all. Would be great to get more use of the garden, but the weather is, well, a bit wet.
We've recently converted the loft to make a bedroom for us, with en suite. On first floor, there is DD's room, plus a spare room where we've happened to accumulate all our junk. downstairs is a gallery kitchen, which is in bombed state (DH's part DIY job - work in progress - 3 years on); a smallish not very practical lounge, plus a dining room which is quite dark and cold.
So not bad. No period features at all. Just a house.

But knightswood drives me mad. I don't drive, I don't find the bus very practical with DD, the train station is approx 20 minutes walk, and inaccessible to pushchairs. I miss the busy West End, the opportunity I had to nip out to the shops for a short walk etc. I also worry about schools for DD (2yo) - not sure where we'd go, what schools are like, and how we'll cope with having to pick her up mid-afternoon after school (far from work if in Knightswood). Have no clue about the placement route, and whether it is feasible.

I rarely work from home, because DD's nursery is in the West End, so when I've dropped her, it's easier to just go on and go to work.

We have just about the finance to extend the house (corner plot makes this ok), knocking the kitchen wall to make it a dining kitchen, and extending to the side, to get a better lighting, view of the garden, plus side office. That would improve our current quality of life in term of the house itself, but I worry that it won't be enough to make up for the access problem, and schooling concerns. The building work would also probably push the house cost past it's true ceiling value.

On the other hand, we could rent our house (can't sell at the mo), and use the money as a deposit to buy a flat in the west end, where I'd be able to walk to nursery, work, shops, have a social life (none at the mo), and go to the gym with friends who live there.
We will never earn enough to get a fancy west end house with garden, so we would have to compromise for outdoor space which seems unfair to DD. Schooling would however be more straightforward for me / work (hillhead or notre dame).

I am very concerned that the idea of living in the WE sounds better than it truly is. We have seen a few flats, all do compromise in some way, either in state, space or absence of garden / parking or crap communal areas.
But staying in Knightwood truly drives me mad, so may not be a long term solution either.

Any advice, insight?

suzikettles Mon 28-Mar-11 22:38:01

We've had the same dilemma and have decided to stay in the West End.

For me it came down to schools and location.

Ok, we don't have a garden but we're really close to fab parks and ds gets a lot of time outside, albeit more structured than if he could go in and out of a garden as he liked. Both dh and I can walk to work and I like being able to get public transport easily, walk down to Byres Rd with ds or pop into town . I feel part of a community and I like that there's always something going on.

It might be different if we could pick and choose where we lived, but the fact is that the money we'd have for a move wouldn't fund a house & garden in a lovely area. If we wanted the space then we'd have to go somewhere not that great, probably transport links would be a bit rubbish, schools might not be that good (and I know that people throw up their hands in horror at Glasgow city schools but hey ho grin)

So, 2 bed West End flat with no garden, or (probably realistically) 2 bed house with garden somewhere I don't really want to live. We decided to sacrifice the garden. For now anyway. We've still got one eye on the South Side.

darleneconnor Mon 28-Mar-11 22:44:57

Are you intending on havomg anymore DCs?

IMO an only child isn't as likely to get as much use out of a garden as a sibling group. A communal garden is a good thing for an only, in fact. Also, I think being near to nice parks compensates for a lack of private garden.

There is a saying that you are better to live in the worst house in the best street than the best house in the worst street.

Move. You know you want to.

CityortheBurbs Mon 28-Mar-11 22:57:45

I really would like another DC in a year or two. Cannot face having to bus it once more. Did with DD, and it depressed me a lot. No offence , but the bus routes to Drumchapel are full of weirdos.
OTOH, dealing with a pram, stairs, lack of storage for pushchairs etc makes me feel like it'd be a step backward.

ARG. Decisions have never been so hard. It's not helping that the choice of flats out there is quite thin at the mo.

I never understood what people said before with the saying "biggest decision of your life". We bought and sold quite a few properties, just as we moved around the country, sometime at a loss, sometime at a marginal gain. But now DD is involved, I would hate to rob her of a garden, but true enough, she might never get to go in it.

envy but I have itchy feet. I crave period features, high ceiling, shops at my doorstep, and especially, walking to work, going for evening drinks once DD is in bed, not having to rely on DH's driving me (I'm blind as a bat) or taxis.
But envy is bad... bad...

I've been toing and froing from this one for months. It's killing me.

Bideyin Tue 29-Mar-11 09:23:37

Have you thought about other parts of the city? Southside is a good alternative to the west end and you get a lot more for your money.

lizziebennet Tue 29-Mar-11 15:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 16:14:02

Bideyin - we have friends living in the Southside, and I must say that we are very envious when we go to theirs. Big house, with good shops / cafe (shawlands). I would however very much like to be walking distance from work (in the WE).

Lizzie - we are closer to Blairdardie, on the edge of the golf course. I totally get your point re the paddlling pool and veg patch. thing is: since having DD, I haven't touched the veg patch, we've had the pool out once, to be used for 5 minutes before realising that DD was shivering because of the wind factor. I do see the advantages, definetly, but also the limited number of occasions we have the opportunity to make use of these.

I spend my life working, and end up resenting the time spent in Knightswood mainly evening and WE, where I feel really cut off from the real world (bloody suburbia!), struggling on my laptop, without the chance for a 15 minute spin down the road to grab a nice coffee & cake. In my head, I have the probably skewed vision of being able to come and go between home and work, therefore achieving a better quality of life, seeing DD at lunch time, spreading work a bit more... I would also love to take her to WE classes on saturday mornings, but cannot face the public transports out and back in for just an hour.

So all in all, it seems that a garden is the main selling point for our Knightswood house. But is it enough?

lizziebennet Tue 29-Mar-11 16:37:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calyx Tue 29-Mar-11 16:42:37

What do you mean blind as a bat - are you able to learn to drive? Seems a car for you would solve everything?

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 17:40:59

Calyx - I have poor night vision, not bad enough to legally stop me driving, but enough to make driving at night / in dark conditions a very stressful event. I have toyed with the idea of getting a small car for myself, to go about, but this will not solve the need / want of wanting to pop home for lunch between lectures etc... I guess I want to have my cake and eat it, the garden and the west end.

I would love one of those big Kirklee houses, eh eh. I remember living just behind the botanic gardens when I first arrived in Glasgow. I had such a healthy lifestyle, walking everywhere. Loved the walk through the botanics, down byres, running errand as I went (and buying food from the delis blush).

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 17:43:58

Lizzie - re. classes, not too sure. I liked the idea of baby ballet, which I know runs in the WE near work.
Certainly not toddlers groupy things, which I am not keen on - I just don't fit in.

weegiemum Tue 29-Mar-11 22:50:46

I know I go on about it - but workign in the West End, have you considreed SGG (Glasgow Gaelic School). I have 3 exceptionally happy children in the school in Berkley Street, bilingual, loving it, you don't have to have Gaelic yourself, but you wold have to get dd into the preschool to be in with much of a chance of a placing request.

Just an idea, but I really can't recommend the school highly enough!

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 22:59:04

I've heard about the school too - we're a bilingual family (that's the theory at least), with English the dominant language, and French the occasional one (between DD and I). We don't do OPOL or anything like that; I am already unsure whether I am confusing DD with speaking to her in French, no idea how this would be compounded by a third language (I should know, but I don't - and I teach her my language "the wrong way": I mix english and french and am really inconsistent with it).
Will consider the Gaelic school, though, as it is close from where I work.

weegiemum Tue 29-Mar-11 23:03:34

She'd pick up the ghaidlig nae bother at the school - our kids had no problem at all and they have no other language (though are now learning Spanish at an alarming rate!!!).

Its total immersion in Gaelic until Jan/Feb of p3, but very easy for parents to help with and I love it.

If you want more info, feel free to pm - mine are in p6, 4, 3 so we have a lot of experience!

Calyx Tue 29-Mar-11 23:08:18

Aww it's a shame but I totally get the night vision thing. When I passed my test I had to change my glasses because of this. I find it's easier now but still much prefer daytime driving.

I agree with the maddos on the buses comments too; even my DH hates having to go on them.

Hmmm it's a dilemma, but I wish you good luck for whatever you decide! Have you looked Broomhill or anywhere like that? Kelvinbridge?

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 23:17:19

Thanks weegiemum!

Calyx - my DH has never taken the bus, but calls me a wuss. Last time I took the number 20 from garnethill (ish) to Knightswood cross (8pm on a foggy night), and had to walk down the road with a ned singing to his buckie and shouting at me whether I had seen his ladie's knickers, I thought mmm, would like to see you here now, DH.

Otherwise, Broomhill seems quite expensive, but we are looking there too. Kelvinbridge as well.

AitchTwoOh Tue 29-Mar-11 23:20:17

she would pick up gaidhlig in a heartbeat, city... that's something to consider.
that said, we are in the position of staying in our flat in the WE or moving. it's awful. i know SO many people round here... don't want to leave them, don't want to leave byres road, don't want to leave the parks, don't want to leave my mates... <weeps>

CityortheBurbs Tue 29-Mar-11 23:22:33

Aitch - can I ask why you are considering moving?

[I can trade you a house with garden and plenty of space in Knightswood wink ]

weegiemum Tue 29-Mar-11 23:24:30

<hugs Aitch in Gaelicy fashion>

AitchTwoOh Tue 29-Mar-11 23:37:51

lol. flat's a bit small for us now, and we have people living beneath us and the poor kids need to thump. but i love it round here... gah.
i do think the garden thing is a bit over-rated, though. i would love one, yes, but we have parks and the kids get to meet their pals there (and i mine). we always bump into people round here. and let's face it, how much time do kids spend outside in scotland? gardens are mudholes most of the year.

i wouldn't move to knightswood, tbh. it'll be south side hoose or west end flat for us. and the fact that we haven't decided yet was another factor in choosing the gaidhlig school tbh, we aren't limited to one area. dd won't change school even if we move right across the city.

AitchTwoOh Tue 29-Mar-11 23:39:02

oh weegie, dd1 won the gaidhlig cup last week, she was THRILLED. brought it home and had it up on the mantlepiece.

weegiemum Tue 29-Mar-11 23:41:37

You must be SOOOO proud. Ds was Sgoilear na Seachdaian last week, for ART of all things!

Come to the Sooth Side! Its great here!

AitchTwoOh Tue 29-Mar-11 23:43:54

i didn't know what the hell it was for, tbh, but other parents explained it was A Good Thing. grin awesome, both of us have scholars in the hoose.

(don't think i can afford round your way, weegie, or i would, believe me).

letsgetloud Wed 30-Mar-11 10:37:45

I know you have advised you are not overly keen on your dd going to school in knightswood. You have mentioned Notre Dame so I presume you are open to her going to a catholic school.

If that is the case do you have any issues with StNinians Primary? Are you in the catchment for it?
I am not sure of it's reputation but I do know people who have put placing requests in for it, so presume it is an ok school. This school is a feeder primary for Notre Dame Secondary and I have assumed this is one of the secondaries you would consider for your child if you lived in the west end anyhow. Though secondary obviously seems a far way off at the moment.

Apologies if StNinians is a school you have discounted.

trixymalixy Thu 07-Apr-11 22:41:14

I was a total west ender, but really wanted a garden so moved to shawlands and I totally totally loved it, was a south side convert. Now we're in Burnside.

Now when I go back to the west end I thank god I don't live there anymore, I love having a garden and so much more space and not having to drive round for hours trying to find somewhere to park.

My friend lives in a massive townhouse in Hyndland, it's nice but I still prefer my house that cost about a fifth of what hers cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now