Local Talk

Need a good optician in West End/City Centre

(18 Posts)
needingglasses Sun 26-Jun-11 13:16:43

Right I've been to Vision Express on Byres Road and Specsavers and haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of care my children were given. Anyone got any recommendations? Particularly interested in opticians that are good with children and fitting children's glasses. Thanks!

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jun-11 13:40:10

i was out with an optician just the other night and asked her the very same question. she recommended Jason at Hyndsight on Hyndland Rd, he's a pal of hers and great with kids.

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jun-11 13:40:58

(i myself go to Brenda Connelly at Niche Optical Tailor in the Merchant City, they are FANTASTIC for adult spex).

bethelbeth Sun 26-Jun-11 23:33:13

Niche optical again. Great service and lovely frames for children.

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jun-11 23:57:00

really? does she do kids specs too? you live and learn...

needingglasses Mon 27-Jun-11 00:32:49

Thanks. Will go and have a look at Niche Optical.

AitchTwoOh Mon 27-Jun-11 00:34:06

take a biiiig, biiiiiig purse. dunno what it's like for kids but for adults it is pricey. but otoh i wear spex every day all day so i'm not scrimping on 'em.

bethelbeth Mon 27-Jun-11 22:11:45

I dunno aitch, i didn't find it too bad. I think the last specs I bought in optical express were about £350 and they were boring.
Niche I was £300 and they are woo woo! out there amazing smile

I have been told that they have prices for most pockets though which is nice

heymammy Mon 27-Jun-11 22:17:41

McGrath Opticians on Byres Rd has a good rep but must confess I've never been. Might be worth trying if it's nearby smile

AitchTwoOh Mon 27-Jun-11 22:37:10

now mcgraths, i can confirm, are both boring and expensive.

i do love niche, it's more like going into a sweetie shop for speccies, than going to an optician.

LeaveYourDignityAtTheDoor Tue 28-Jun-11 01:18:49

Dolland & Aichenson at the bottom of Union Street was good. Its now Boots opticians but I think the same staff work there.

Rangirl Tue 28-Jun-11 21:52:55

I recommend Currie and Quirk on Byres Road.Excellent service ( and a nice part of the world to shop)

magbags Sat 02-Jul-11 20:26:40

I have used West End Opticians (also called Browns) on Great Western Road and have been quite pleased. Also 20/20 in Merchant City have Lindberg frames for kids which seem fab, ordered some today for dd. Hope you find somewhere you like.

sparkina Sat 03-Sep-11 14:33:25

i2i opticians in howard st glasgow (next to slaters). It has the best range of frames you'll find in glasgow. Service and staff are amazing you wont be disappointed.

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 14-Sep-11 23:18:10

Happy with 20/20 in Merchant City too (Wilson St) - have been going there for years.

Have to go there tomorrow as 16mo DS has just snapped off both legs. shock

Of my frames, obv. wink Little minx.

alexandradaylondon Thu 29-Nov-12 19:09:32

I have just discovered a fantastic opticians in London.
I needed a pair of glasses as an emergency for the following day for my daughter (who has a very unusual prescription)
Goodlooking Optics in Enfield managed to track down the lenses within 2 hours, they even sent an assistant across London to collect them!
The lovely frames that they offered were then fitted within 15 minutes!
Its well worth the journey to Enfield to receive such friendly and efficient service- I will never shop in a high street Opticians again for my children!

babswinsor Thu 29-Nov-12 19:12:44

bit of a commute, though, from Glasgow...

McPinoTata Thu 29-Nov-12 20:46:06

Hi there! Best optician for me is this one, they do good tests and their advice n glasses are very good. I do trust them, they are very professional and very friendly. I've recommended to many of my friends and relatives and so far they love that optician. CURRIE and QUIRK

www.currieandquirk.com/

I got my frames from France from a very exclusive optician and so my surprise this optician buy frames and products from them!!! I's very pleased to find them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now