Local Talk

New in the area and urgently looking for CM/nursery

(9 Posts)
InkyPaperblanks Thu 05-Jul-12 10:18:58

Hi everyone ,

We just moved to Glasgow Southside( Langside, near Queen's Park)

My DS is 5 and starts school in August, I need childcare for one full day and two afternoons.

Anyone have any recommendations for a childminder or a nursery?

Thank you.

JennyPiccolo Thu 05-Jul-12 10:24:43

Don't have any personal recommendations, but if you go to www.glasgow.gov.uk somewhere on their monstrous website is a list of all childminders and nurseries in your area. I'm sure some southside mums will be along soon with something a bit better though.

InkyPaperblanks Thu 05-Jul-12 14:57:38

Thanks Jenny ,

Bit of a nightmare as it's such short notice, what would be ideal would be a good childminder as then they could do pickups from school once he starts , instead of having to find something all over again once he starts school.Would also mean a bit of continuity for him.
Will keep looking , all recommendations /suggestions most welcome.

cakeoholic Thu 05-Jul-12 23:58:33

Hi, what school is he going to? PM me if you don't want to say on here. I am a nanny in the area and could maybe help you if it's the same school i pick up from.

Does his school have an after school club you could use?

For the summer there are lots of holiday camps if that would tide you over. There's an Oscars running near you which runs from 8-6:30 and also does half days starting between 12:30 and 1:30. It started this week and runs until August 17th

prettybird Sun 08-Jul-12 11:42:01

Just checked with a friend who lives on Auldhouse Rd so not that far from where you are, but her childminder doesn't do pick-ups as she doesn't drive (her ds is old enough to walk to her place on his own) and she's off on holiday next week for two weeks anyway, so wouldn't be any good for your short term needs.

InkyPaperblanks Mon 09-Jul-12 18:37:22

Thanks so much for the heads up Cakeoholic ! turns out that his school's after school club runs a summer holiday programme.Which is brilliant as it means he is in his school environment with kids that he will then see once school starts , perfect solution.
You would think I would have thought of that in the first place but I think I have been spreading myself so thin with everything that I have become a bit blinded by the stress of it all !!

And thanks to you too Prettybird for checking with your friend :-)

It's all coming together,slowly but surely :-)

prettybird Mon 09-Jul-12 22:07:27

Glad you've got sorted. I did wonder about the Out of School Club but didn't think they would take a pre-P1 kid I know ours doesn't

If you're interested, CarthaKids will be running a rugby camp for P1-S2 at the beginning of August. Not sure which week and what hours yet, but once they've confirmed details, I'll pop it on here.

I do know they start back the 1st Sunday in August at 12.45 - might be another way for your ds (and you wink) to make more friends.

prettybird Fri 13-Jul-12 09:57:40

Information now up on CarthaKids website about their summer camp 6-10 August, if you are interested. Kids going into P1 in August are welcome! You don't need to be a member to go.

In fact, rugby for the kids starts the previous Sunday - great fun and a good way of meeting other people.

Noggie Sat 21-Jul-12 21:30:53

Hi my daughter goes to a childminder locally who i would be happy to reccommend (Pm for details)- she drops off and picks up from Merrylee and OLA x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now