Local Talk

hotel/B&B recommendations

(10 Posts)
Aboutlastnight Mon 03-Sep-12 12:34:45

Dp and I are knackered. We hope to get away without our DC for 2 nights in October. We are looking for somewhere quiet, clean, good breakfast and maybe a swimming pool or near a beach for walks - or possibly a city. Anyone have any ideas?

Portavadie Marina

I recommend this wee hidden gem of a place. They have a couples retreat which is hidden away on the hill overlooking Loch Fyne.
The restaurants are fab, there's beautiful woodland walks, abandoned villages, golden sand beaches within walking distance, seaside towns across the water by ferry.
There's a spa there at the moment and I know there's a leisure centre type of thing, not sure if it's finished yet though. Might be worth a look!

Also- the price- ridiculously cheap in my opinion. A luxury apartment that can easily sleep 4 couples (3 rooms and one sofa bed) is £112 a night. So less than £20 per head. Insane.

We are regulars now! Make a point of going every couple of months for a bit of quiet and relaxation. We take DD sometimes too, it's very child friendly.

Enough gushing already! Lol!

I'm going there for the September weekend. Cannot wait. I've been before and lived it.

Loved it too!

Do you take the kids AgentProvocateur? If you go across the marina towards the point theres a dirt track that takes you up to a cracking tree swing wink

What bit did you stay in? We got a free upgrade from a cottage to an apartment last time because they'd had a no show. Probably doesn't cost them any extra to do but it totally made our weekend.

We used to live nearby when it was just a fish farm, so have watched it grow and grow. Almost feel proud of it lol.

Yes, but they're 16 and 17. Would probably still enjoy the rope swing tho! We're just staying in a lodge family room this time. It was really cheap - £80 or so. We will get two nights accomm, and two really nice meals and wine for the price of one night in St Andrews Bay. We stayed in a lodge last time with friends and it was great.

Here's hoping its dry!

sleepyhead Mon 03-Sep-12 21:58:51

Definitely Portavadie. We went there for lunch for my 40th and I'm dying to go back for a weekend, just the two of us - the cheapness! And it's such a beautiful location.

I remember when it was just a fish farm too. Big nostalgia trip for me the whole thing.

Haha, too true, you're never too old for a rope swing. And the Lodge is lovely. (My mind boggles at how little they charge for what you get).

We were over for the Scottish series as well and our friends son (about 16) was itching to get out on the water. Lovely group at the next table offered to take him out with them- he had an absolute ball. Such a great atmosphere when even the guests are friendly!

If you get a chance, check out Oyster bay, it's a fair walk or a short drive but it's such a beautiful beach and half the time you have it all to yourselves.

I'm wishing for dry weather for you too! Although I'm looking forward to when the indoor/outdoor heated pool is finished and I can have a nice cosy swim in the rain!

Aboutlastnight Mon 03-Sep-12 22:15:31

Oh that looks just the ticket. Was a bit alarmed when I skim read the thread and thought you were recommending some sort of swingers retreat.

But that looks great. Am off to show DP smile

Oh god. Well that would have been more awkward if you'd showed up expecting it to be a swingers place grin

No pampas grass asfaik!

If you go, keep an eye out in the shop, I managed to get a gorgeous Joules coat out of there for £40 in the clearance when it was only reduced to £70 in John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now