Local Talk

Glasgow locals advice wanted

(10 Posts)
UniS Mon 10-Sep-12 22:59:37

So, I'm planning on visiting Glasgow with DS (age 6) as spectators at the Velodrome for the UCI world cup in November. Which bits of the city Can one get to easily by public transport from the New Velodrome? and which bits are best avoided late at night if your from out of town with a small tired kid in tow.

by the by - I may have a spare ticket if any ones interested.

seb1 Mon 10-Sep-12 23:05:12

Where are you staying?

UniS Tue 11-Sep-12 17:31:09

no idea yet.... guess I'll hunt on line for a bus accessible hotel with a moderate price room available.

GoldandOrangeAnnunziata Wed 12-Sep-12 13:12:02

Is it the new Velodrome at Celtic Park? If we're being brutally honest, I wouldn't stay anywhere near there- it comes under places to avoid! I'd stay in the city centre and take a taxi out, maybe the bus during the day.

I'd avoid staying at the top end of Sauchiehall Street, it's where all the pubs and clubs are. Really the West End is the nicest play to stay, but of course the velodrome will be on the other side of the city.

UniS Wed 12-Sep-12 19:25:59

I think City centre hotel or SYHA may be best bet, we will have a bit of time to explore on the Sunday and 6 year will need to find a playground. Is there still a good park by the peoples palace of whatnot... Its been a VERY long time since I visited Glasgow as a teenager.

I got the impression that the Velodrome was not in the heart of tourist town.

The velodrome is in the east end, at Parkhead. There are some really good reasonably priced hotels in the city centre - EasyHotel and Citizen M, as well as the usual travelodges etc.

There is a great park at Glasgow Green and my nephew (who's the same age as your DS) lives the Science Centre, transport museum etc. I'd normally avoid the velodrome area at night, but I know all three days have sold out so it will be busy and safe when you're leaving the event.

weegiemum Wed 12-Sep-12 19:38:41

Brilliant play park on Glasgow Green, near the Peoples Palace. There's also a nice one in Kelvingrove Park, West End.
The Kelvingrove Museum is always worth a visit and the new Riverbank (transport) museum is a little boy magnet, also free.
Plenty of places to eat in city centre and west end. I dont know the area near the velodrome well but I wouldn't wander about there at night - probably cos I don't know it, cos I've never really felt unsafe in Glasgow in anyplace Ive lived here.

UniS Wed 12-Sep-12 21:10:55

Flights booked! eeek- now I'm excited. Not going to tell DS till MUCH nearer the date.
We won't have much time outside velodrome, a couple of hours on fri aftenoon and a couple of hours on Sunday morning.

Good to know about playpark and transport museum. Is there a bus company website with route map?

firstbus

This is the local bus service, there's also an open top red tourist bus that is good on dry days!

Best hotel that I can think of would be the Citizen M link it's not too expensive and is far nicer than a travelodge. It's also close to the centre of the city without being on too busy a street.

prettybird Fri 14-Sep-12 10:11:29

You lucky sod. I tried to get tickets half an hour after they went on sale and they were all sold out sad - except for the Friday but ds would have killed us if we had gone without him sad

I have managed to get tickets for the Scottish Championships in October on the Saturday, which includes the Thunderdrome event which Chris Hoy will participate in.

If you do still have a spare ticket, my son (12) would transfer all his affection to you be very appreciative! I'd pay you for it plus some wine grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now