Local Talk

Guide camp

(8 Posts)
lagera Fri 14-Sep-12 15:50:18

My daughter, aged 10, wants to go to guide camp for the first time. The children sleep in tents . It would be a great experience for her but I am obviously anxious.

Can anyone reassure me!

Is it the camp near loch lomond? If so my dd went twice, but with the brownies when she was just turned 8 and then again when she was 9. They don't sleep in tents with brownies so they were in a log cabin type thing. But she loved it both times, really well organised and safe, no problems at all smile

I did the one near Loch Lomond. T'was fab and horrible sleeping in smelly old tents. I remember it fondly.......

frasersmummy Sat 15-Sep-12 17:25:54

I am a brownie leader of many years and have been camping with the guides recently

The guiders will all be well qualified and experienced. if its a guide assoc campsite it will be safe with decent toilets facilites on site

The guides will all be told if they are leaving their tents at night eg to go to the toilet to wake one of their friends and take them with them so they are not walking about in the dark by themselves

Your daughter will learn all sorts of new skills and will have great fun

just make sure she has her wellies and lots of rain proof clothes

frasersmummy Sat 15-Sep-12 17:49:35

Lagera having thought about it .. I have done parents meeting for camps /pack holidays for years and I know different parents have different concerns

If you tellus what your particular concerns are I will see if I can allay your fears rather than just the glib re-assurance above

weegiemum Sat 15-Sep-12 17:55:51

My daughter is a guide in Glasgow. She's been camping at Balloch (Loch Lomond). Both times she's had a fantastic time. They camp in modern style tents, not the old canvas ridge pole tents I used when I was in guides.
Cooking is sometimes on an open fire but they also used camping stoves. There's waterspouts and other activities.
When is the camp? My dd1 is 12 and we've not heard anything but it might not be a regional camp.
It's a great experience for them. My dd1 was 10 when she went first.

lagera Sun 16-Sep-12 06:54:41

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

Frasersmummy, my concern is security of the site and the fact that the girls of similar ages will be in a tent alone together

frasersmummy Sun 16-Sep-12 09:42:11

lagera without knowing the campsite I cant tell you about security specifically

but in general guide camps are well off the beaten track so their wont be strangers hanging about.
Every sound is amplified in a quiet campsite so any guide opening a tent, moving about etc would be heard almost immediately

Although the guiders will be in their own tent , they will be in very close proximity to the girls tents and therefore only a few feet further from the girls if they were staying in a brownie house

putting girls of a similiar age in each tent is just to help them sleep.. the youngsters like your daughter will be so shattered and will fall asleep almost right away.... i cant say the same for they 14 years olds..

hope this helps a little

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now