Local Talk

Recommendation for baby friendly coffee place near the Crowne Plaza

(16 Posts)
fishybits Mon 01-Oct-12 19:16:48

As the title really. Meeting very old friend for coffee in the morning and would love a recommendation for a good, preferably an independent coffee cake shop on or near Congress Road, G3. Will have DD in tow so baby friendly would be great.

Thank you very much in advance.

sleepyhead Mon 01-Oct-12 19:22:52

Congress Road is basically just the SECC and the Crowne Plaza - bit bleak and not much there.

I'd probably walk up to Argyle Street and go to somewhere like SugarQube (say 10 mins walk?), or cross the river and go to the cafe at the Science Centre - I don't think you need to pay to get in to use the cafe but would be worth phoning to check.

fishybits Mon 01-Oct-12 19:30:07

Thanks sleepyhead. We were posted up here a few months ago and I haven't got to grips with Glasgow yet. The Crowne is where my friend is staying and seemed like a good starting point. Will check out the SugarQube and Science Centre.

Aboutlastnight Mon 01-Oct-12 19:34:07

You could walk it further through tunnel into argyle st and up to cafe in Kelvingrove Park: An Clachan? There is a playpark out the front.

sleepyhead Mon 01-Oct-12 19:35:33

Actually, you wouldn't have to walk all that further to get to the cafe in Kelvingrove Park (An Clachan). If by some lucky chance it's a nice day then that's always a good option. It's nice when it's rainy too, but a walk in the park in autumn is always nice.

sleepyhead Mon 01-Oct-12 19:36:04

Could I have fitted "nice" in any more there? hmm

sleepyhead Mon 01-Oct-12 19:37:16

xpost! Great minds, Aboutlastnight wink

Geordieminx Mon 01-Oct-12 20:25:07

Cafe at science centre is awful. Don't go there.

Number 1 chocolate factory at Charing Cross is fab however

weegiemum Argentina Mon 01-Oct-12 20:29:15

Not An Clachan! They take half an hour to make an espresso!

There's a few good places on Argyle street about there, Cafe Wander and Piece are very friendly.

Just take care. The new first years from the Glasgow Gaelic high school get out for lunch tomorrow at 12.30 or so for the first time!! I'm only warning you as at the front of the seething Celtic mass will be my dd1!

weegiemum Argentina Mon 01-Oct-12 20:31:15

Mitchell Library Cafe!! <slaps head I bloody work there>

Good menu, friendly for kids, easy walk, got kiddie library bit with beanbags etc just round the corner inside the building. The bacon rolls are lush!!

Geordieminx Mon 01-Oct-12 20:32:02

OOoh weegie you might know someone I know.

Will PM you

fishybits Mon 01-Oct-12 20:35:16

Loads of places! This is great, thank you. May have to go on a coffee cake crawl.

weegiemum Argentina Mon 01-Oct-12 21:16:24

You want a cake crawl, I'm your girl!!

Geordieminx Mon 01-Oct-12 21:17:35

Afternoon tea at #1 chocolate factory is amazing!!!

weegiemum Argentina Mon 01-Oct-12 21:19:52

I'm feeling an afternoon tea meet-up coming on!

prettybird Tue 02-Oct-12 13:09:08

(<thread hi-jack> Weegiemum - the kids at Shawlands don't get allowed out at lunch at all during the whole of S1 shockgrin and if they had more space they'd keep the S2s in too )

Argyle Street seems to be becoming more more of a coffee shop/ deli street. Every time I drive along it, another one seems to have popped up. I'm sure you'll find somewhere nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now