Local Talk

Newly pregnant - no help from GP!

(13 Posts)
fidol Sat 06-Oct-12 11:23:08

Found out i was pregnant 2 weeks ago, went to my surgery but seen a locum who didnt really know what care the surgery provided. Reception told her to refer me to the Southern as they dont have any clinics. When can I expect them to be in touch? I'm about 7 weeks 3days.
Thanks

Jergens Sat 06-Oct-12 12:29:15

Congratulations! smile
If you're low risk you'll be assigned to the 'green pathway' (ie. Midwife led care). This would mean that your care would be in the community by midwives. For example, if you live in the southside of Glasgow, you'd probably have your antenatal clinics at the New Victoria. You'll probably get your first appt around 12 weeks and have a booking scan then too. Low risk women tend only to go to the Southern for their 20 week scan and delivery (or not if planning a home birth).
Did the locum give you other advice re. pregnancy? Eg. Folic acid, vit D, etc...

fidol Sun 07-Oct-12 08:50:55

Thanks Jergens grin
First pregnancy so I imagine low risk, we live in the west end, wonder if that'll make a difference as to where my scans etc will be.
I told her I was taking folic acid but she never mentioned anything else! I've been taking a prenatal vitamin and a calcium tablet with vit D, just from reading the odd bit from pregnancy sites.
Would be nice if they had a leaflet or something just taking u thru the steps. If it wasn't for MN I wouldn't know what a booking appt was. blush

ssd Sun 07-Oct-12 09:19:01

TBH I think you should change clinic, they sound very uncaring and don't have much of a clue

maybe ask neighbours/friends where they went locally

expecting a locum to have knowledge for a newly pregnant girl isnt too much to ask

prettybird Mon 08-Oct-12 16:19:04

What friends/neighbours did might not help as the Queen Mum's has now shut. Which is more convenient for you: the Southern or the Royal?

I should have gone to the Southern or 2nd choice the Royal but asked my GP to refer me to the Queen Mum's as a) it was closer to my work and b) it was where my dad used to work and c) it was just as quick, if not quicker, to get to it as to the Southern from where we live.

My GP did "shared care", which meant an initial booking in with the midwife plus a dating scan but the in-between appointments were with him.

Caveat: ds is now 12 so everything has probably changed not least of which the QM's has shut grin

Why not try ringing try ringing the hospital and asking?

ssd Mon 08-Oct-12 18:30:53

I meant friends/neighbours with babies who have recently been in the op's shoes

I was in Rottenrow which is definately shut!

TeuchterInTheCity Mon 08-Oct-12 18:41:11

Unfortunately nothing will happen until you get your 12 week scan (at the Southern), but they are so busy and sort staffed that it might not actually be until you are closer to 14 wks. Ante natal care for routine MW appointments will prob be more local to you though. You will be given loads of info at the scan, and date for 20 wk scan, and offer to sign up to antenatal classes (which are good from my experience).

It's a bit rubbish, but if you have concerns try and see GP again. I ended up having DC2 at the midwife led unit at Paisley as the Southern is so understaffed (esp on post natal wards).

TeuchterInTheCity Mon 08-Oct-12 18:42:02

Sorry if a bit garbled, on phone with 2 kids on top of me!

sleepyhead Mon 08-Oct-12 18:50:23

The locum sounds a bit rubbish, but tbh GPs don't really do much other than say congratulations, refer you to your preferred hospital (you can choose between Southern and Princess Royal if you're in the West End) and remind you about folic acid.

You'll get a letter from the hospital about your booking in appointment and scan quite soon, next week or so probably, and as previous posters said, will probably have most of your maternity care in the community after that. In the West End you'll likely go to the Western Maternity Centre which is at the Western Infirmary.

Congratulations!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 10-Oct-12 23:57:41

I had a very positive experience from delivering at the southern. The new maternity unit is wonderful. Can't comment on the staff post natal as I discharged myself the following day!

fidol Thu 11-Oct-12 21:23:38

Thanks everyone. Great advice, will keep you posted! smile

fidol Thu 18-Oct-12 18:40:41

Just a wee update - Letter came from the Southern, scan and booking appt when I'm 12+5, so not too bad! Moving to Anniesland soon so hopefully more local care there.

roughtyping Fri 19-Oct-12 11:12:18

Fidol, glad it's more sorted now.

Can't believe how much it's all changed. DS is nearly 9, when I had him it was lots of community midwife input at local clinic as well as scans & appointments (they were convinced I was anaemic, I wasn't, I'm just v pale) at the Queen Mum's. My aunt worked there and I was seen by the sonographer who scanned my mum when she was having me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now