Local Talk

Anyone with kids at Belmont House School?

(3 Posts)
Ang69 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:32:23

Hi everyone, just looking to see if anyone has any info on this school? I am seriously considering it for my 8 year old son who despite being bright is struggling massively with reading/writing and maths. It has been a very difficult time these past few years but we now understand his difficulties are coming from dyslexia and a language processing disorder. Our state primary school has not been supportive at all and have labelled him as autistic even though he clearly does not display the full characteristics of an autistic child.They have completely dismissed reports from dyslexia action and a private speech and language therapist and have said he has no language issues. He is not socializing as well as he should but this is down to his language issue but they only see autism. They have actually now started making things up about my son to make him 'fit' their boxes such as saying he doesn't show empathy or understand the feelings of others. He is in fact highly empathetic and actually understands he has an issue with his work and is asking me to help him. We have put support in place for him privately with a massive improvement but I can no longer keep him at the school as they won't take on board what we are doing at home which really helps and are actually causing harm by implementing things such as 'social stories' to overcome my son's apparent rigidity (which does not exist). We have tried so hard with the school and would have preferred to keep him there at least for primary but feel we are now forced to change.

We are looking at Belmont as they have very small class sizes and have said they feel they could support my son with his additional needs. Just wanted to know if there are any other parents out there who have knowledge of the school, good or bad and also if they have any words of advice to perhaps consider other options. We just want the best for my son but don't want to make a radical move if there are other options.

Any info/advice would be very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

carovioletfizz Fri 02-Aug-13 13:51:10

Hi there, I'm afraid I have no direct experience of this school but hopefully someone will come along who does. I do have a friend whose son did very well there after moving from overseas, I think they were very supportive. Her son ended up doing really well.

WentworthMillerMad Mon 05-Aug-13 22:25:33

Hi ang, Belmont is a v good school. Have you looked at kelvinside? Also has small classes and lovely nurturing atmosphere. Depends where you are based I guess. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now