Local Talk

Moving to Glasgow

(28 Posts)
Trixiema Thu 15-Aug-13 00:18:04

My dh has just got a job in Glasgow. We shall be moving from London in six weeks and I have never been! I was wondering what areas you would recommend? My dd is 20 months and she will be at home with me? Which areas are the best for families? Safest? We were thinking of renting in the west end? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
X

theWookiesWife Thu 15-Aug-13 09:40:55

just outside Glasgow is a village called Kilmacolm - it's beautiful !!! there's a lovely community there ! lots of beautiful homes to buy or rent too !! worth a visit !!!

carovioletfizz Thu 15-Aug-13 21:24:25

Hi Trixiema,
Thanks for posting!The west end is great for kids - lots of parks, toddler groups, museums, soft plays and family friendly cafes and restaurants. Our youngest is 20 months and I am at home with him - there's always something going on. Plus lots to do for adults when you can find a babysitter! It's pretty safe, too, as is most of Glasgow to be honest....have you contacted any letting agencies yet? Try s1homes or gspc for rental suggestions. Keep posting here for advice, follow MN Glasgow on Twitter and FB too if you are on those.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mumsnet-Glasgow/543214742372290?ref=hl and twitter @MumsnetGlasgow
Caroline x

toucancancan Thu 15-Aug-13 21:42:20

West end - hillhead, partick, whiteinch, hyndland, kelvindale are all great. Also just outside the southside of glasgow is east renfrewshire a popular place for families and has the best schools in scotland.

toucancancan Thu 15-Aug-13 21:45:27

Just to say - decent rental properties go quickly so if you find somewhere nice don't um and ah over it - snap it up!

Trixiema Thu 15-Aug-13 22:51:51

Thanks so much! I am really just looking on maps until I can get there! I was wondering which parts of the west end? There are a few!
Thanks
Trixie x

carovioletfizz Thu 15-Aug-13 23:32:47

They're all nice! All the areas toucancancan has mentioned - the west end is still relatively small in size so all the areas are right next to each other and everywhere is pretty much walkable, hope that helps!x

toucancancan Fri 16-Aug-13 21:18:25

If you want to live near coffee shops/boutiques/cafes/botanical gardens etc byres road and surrounding area is great as a base for six months til you find your feet. Go on to google maps and have a click around. Hillhead and Partick library have bump and rhyme every week and there was a good toddler group in a church at top of byres road.

toucancancan Fri 16-Aug-13 21:20:35

Any more questions just ask! Its a great city and people are very friendly. There's a real sense of community too.

toucancancan Fri 16-Aug-13 21:34:51

Any more questions just ask! Its a great city and people are very friendly. There's a real sense of community too.

Trixiema Sat 17-Aug-13 04:56:30

Thanks so much this is really helpful. I have emailed agents and just waiting for replies. Relocating is so stressful! X

toucancancan Sat 17-Aug-13 21:34:20

Clyde Property had the nicest flats for rent when we were looking. Its a bit hard to get your head round when you first move here as there are so many tenement flats. But there are some great places with high ceilings and old features.

Trixiema Mon 19-Aug-13 08:52:16

Thanks for the tips. Have emailed but haven't heard back so will call. I love the flats with period feat... although some seem so nice and cheap? Like £800 a month? X

toucancancan Mon 19-Aug-13 21:07:39

Yeah that sounds about right for something with period features in the heart of the west end. Will DP's work put you up in a hotel for a few weeks til you get more permanent accomodation arranged?

toucancancan Mon 19-Aug-13 21:20:07

Yeah that sounds about right for something with period features in the heart of the west end. Will DP's work put you up in a hotel for a few weeks til you get more permanent accomodation arranged?

carovioletfizz Mon 19-Aug-13 21:40:18

£800 sounds like the right price to me, too....much cheaper than London!

Trixiema Wed 21-Aug-13 15:43:09

Thanks for the advice Toucancancan! Unfortunately my husband won't be put up in a hotel! Everything is going before we actually view it! Fingers crossed! Will let you know, and thanks so much for the advice everyone x

carovioletfizz Wed 21-Aug-13 16:17:11

Could you rent a short term serviced apartment for a week or so Trixiema, till you find something permanent?

toucancancan Mon 26-Aug-13 20:49:17

How are you getting on with planned move Trixiema?

Trixiema Tue 27-Aug-13 08:57:42

It's being a bit of a nightmare tbh! Everytime we arrange a viewing it's been cancelled as it's taken. Seen a few student flats. We're in Glasgow now & hopefully see 3 today (& be able to get something) before driving back to London. I don't really want to go to the suburbs as I don't drive....

carovioletfizz Tue 27-Aug-13 11:45:57

Good luck Trixie!

toucancancan Tue 27-Aug-13 16:00:57

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!

toucancancan Tue 27-Aug-13 16:02:17

Also try Gumtree!

Trixiema Wed 28-Aug-13 10:54:12

We reserved something. Hopefully it will all go smoothly now. The flat is a bit tired but at least it's quite cheap and hopefully be easier once I'm there! It's near kelvinside hillhead parish church so really nice. We move mid oct so fingers crossed! Thanks for all your suggestions and help! Now to find activities... Lol

carovioletfizz Wed 28-Aug-13 11:50:45

That's brilliant! A great area with lots going on. When do you arrive, we could meet up at one of the toddler groups?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now