Local Talk

Glasgow Private Schools or alternatives?

(10 Posts)
SomeDaysItRainsHere Thu 19-Sep-13 01:47:34

Please can I have your opinions/experiences of the following for primary age children, and any others you would recommend?

The High School of Glasgow
Glasgow Academy
Kelvinside Academy
St Aloysius' College

We're looking for good differentiation for individual pupils in a caring public-spirited environment rather than a "all our pupils are bright" approach.

prettybird Thu 19-Sep-13 11:00:25

Can't comment from direct experience as I was very happy with ds' state primary (and now equally so with his secondary) but I do know via the rugby club of someone who is very happy with Belmont as a smaller private school which seems to focus on the individual.

I know two people, one with a son at Kelvinside, and one with a son at St Aloysius', and both are very happy with the education their sons are receiving.

Ds2 used to go to Hutchesons Grammar, in the winter, for indoor cricket practice, and their facilities look excellent.

carovioletfizz Thu 19-Sep-13 16:05:35

My nephew is at Glasgow Academy and it seems excellent.....

prettybird Thu 19-Sep-13 16:48:35

Ds was "rejected" by Hutchie age 4 as not being suited. Fortunately we then discovered that we were already in the catchment of the school we wanted! (weird dog's leg of catchment......). It was probably as well he didn't get in as he didn't "get" reading until then end of P2 (although his primary school were brilliant with him) and I'm not sure Hutchie would have given him the support and confidence he needed. As it was, he returned to the top reading group by the end of P4, and is now in the top English set at Shawlands in S2 and currently (apparently) doing S4 work. He is also in the top set for Maths and I (and the school) would expect him to get 5 As at Higher.

So on that basis, I am not sure how good Hutchie are at differentiating. But there again, Jordanhill rejected me at a similar age and I went to get 6 x A at Higher wink

I have another friend who has twins at Glasgow Academy (primary school). She seems very happy - and one of the twins apparently has dyslexic tendencies (not sure the detail) which the school has by all accounts dealt with very well and built her confidence.

SomeDaysItRainsHere Sat 28-Sep-13 02:02:22

Thank you everyone. It's good to get some insight into these places. Sorry I haven't been here for a while.

alyanj Sat 28-Sep-13 13:15:03

Any more thoughts on these schools for S3 and up - creative/artistic child??

Vonstance Mon 21-Oct-13 13:27:31

My eldest son goes to Belmont and is absolutely thriving there, small classes and focus on holistic development not (just) academic. I've been really impressed with how open and friendly the management team have been, I highly recommend going along for a look.

alyanj Fri 25-Oct-13 22:14:45

How old is your son? I am looking at S3 and up.

Vonstance Sat 26-Oct-13 11:49:47

He is 12, he's in S1 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now