Local Talk

Hillhead Primary - oversubscribed!

(68 Posts)
msapplecider Tue 28-Jan-14 19:34:28

Hi, does anybody else on here have DC starting primary in August and registered at Hillhead Primary, and received a letter about oversubscription? We are in the catchment area so I thought my DD was going there for sure until yesterday when the letter arrived and told me that we no longer got in automatically due to not enough places being available… Am not sure what to do now, and just wanted to see if anybody else was in the same situation and had any more info on this. Thanks!

ouchthathurt Sat 01-Mar-14 02:33:34

Wow. Close the nursery to free-up space for the primary school? Extend on top of the existing nursery? Really??!!

What a monumental and embarrassingly bad feat of planning this has been. They should have built it further into the park, made it twice the size and built a car-park over the bowling greens that they've spent thousands doing up in time for the Commonwealth Games.

The old Dowanhill Nursery and school that is now Notre Dame looks lovely. Shame it's a denominational school otherwise I would seriously consider it (although parking round there is a mare too!)

Monstermuncher Sat 01-Mar-14 15:03:17

That's good news that your daughter has a place Msapplecider. Thewaves is right, Hillhead is an excellent school despite the current issues. Goodness knows what will happen next ..

thewaves Sat 01-Mar-14 15:48:55

It looks like the council have promised to pave over the quagmire in the playground: thus was meant to be resemble rolling grassy hills but is actually a mud put. They are also installing more toilets in the playground to ease the pressure - apparently there are only 6 boys toilets at the moment shock

seakayak Mon 10-Mar-14 19:23:30

Hi, after accepting a place at Hyndland we've just been informed that there is a space for our Daughter at Hillhead after all. I have no idea what to do now. Go for overcrowding but in our area or Hyndland for full curriculum and after school care? All advice appreciated.

Monstermuncher Wed 12-Mar-14 10:12:41

That's a tough call Seakayak. Surely the other primaries are going to see their numbers go up as a result of children being turned away from Hillhead and will in turn be overcrowded themselves? After school care is a big consideration. At present there's only one provider at Hillhead (Karemore) but they are at capacity and I don't know if they are able to expand. This has been the case for quite some time and although there are noises being made about using existing council buildings to extend aftercare facilities there is nothing concrete. If you definitely need aftercare and can't get it at Hillhead that may well be the deciding factor. Perhaps speak to Karemore and see what their situation is?

blstringer Wed 12-Mar-14 15:03:45

The Hillhead primary parents council minutes for the March meeting were published online and may be of interest to you seekayak.
The parent council appear to be pushing to annexe, literally and figuratively the nursery. If it happens the school would be a more attractive proposition for some.
As this solution is shortsighted, short term and unfair, it's probably the one the council will opt for.

ouchthathurt Wed 12-Mar-14 17:37:14

Oh dear, feel sorry for the nursery if that is deemed to be a solution to the problem! What a fiasco.

Issi74 Wed 19-Mar-14 11:57:05

Hi - just wanted to state that its not the Parent Council how are pushing for the annexe. In the meetings that they have held with the Council on the problems of the overcrowding, Glasgow Council have offered this as a solution, not the parent council pressing for it. The Parent Council also asked in these meetings that if this was to transpire, then the Council would need to factor in an alternative provision which could provide more places since the demand is so high. Just don't want the perception that if the nursery closes, its down to the Parent Council!!

VodkaKnockers Sat 29-Mar-14 15:35:07

Re the after school provision, I know that Safe Til Six in Community Central Halls pick up children from Hillhead primary and also pick up from 6 surrounding schools.

It might be worth speaking to them now as I know they can get over subscribed from some of the schools

blstringer Thu 10-Apr-14 14:52:25

I was disappointed to read the headline in today's evening times. If the story is accurate, never a given, it adds to the overall impression that the parent council is exerting pressure on the council to close the nursery to expand the school.
The parent council may claim they are merely attempting to force the council to address the difficulties the school is experiencing, however as they refuse to accept that reducing the catchment area will be sufficient, the only alternative being offered is to close the nursery, the p.c know this.
I do not disagree with the p.c's actions, they are acting in the best interests of their children, however I do hope the council consult properly on this and listen to all voices not just a small well motivated and organised group.
With proper management of the catchment area, the school roll will be reduced over the next two to three years and the community will continue to have a very successful nursery. The alternative is a school of nearly 700 pupils, which is not desirable and no nursery.

TheBogQueen Wed 23-Apr-14 11:43:58

The alternative is a school of nearly 700 pupils, which is not desirable and no nursery

What surprises me is that the city council has managed to bungle the planning, construction and organisation of what should be a flagship primary school for Glasgow.

And everyone accepts it in this sort of 'oh well' attitude.

At least the parent council at that school are taking the council to task for this cock-up - losing the nursery provision will be disgraceful, it will impact many working parents in that area, ditto the after school care.

But, you know, in the next two to three years it might start to get a bit better...well done Glasgow City Council! hmm

Hiphopmommy Thu 24-Apr-14 15:24:41

I have been waiting since march to hear wether my daughter is getting her place to start in August 2014 I phoned today to ask and they say she's still on waiting list and I will get a phone all on Monday to say if she had got a place. That is all based on wether ppl are not bothered and move there child to another school. Nothing I can do apart from wait but I won't give because am in the catchment area and I js feel angry about the whole situation angry

Wabberjocky Thu 24-Apr-14 17:22:35

Think unless you live really close (hillhead st, cecil st, Gibson st) it's really hard to know sure....I know of somebody who lives right behind waitrose who can't get in....it's appalling.

Those of you not getting in....how close to the school are you?

JTER Thu 17-Jul-14 13:35:47

Hi Mumsnetters,

I have started a petition on 'Change.org' to stop the catchment change for Hillhead Primary School. Could you support this by signing? I have a very long way to go, as I'm looking for 1,000 signatures before the public consultation on this ends on 29th September 2014. The link is here:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/glasgow-city-council-stop-the-proposal-to-change-the-catchment-area-for-hillhead-primary-school-in-Glasgow.

Could you please ask all your friends to sign this too? Thank you very much for supporting this.

JTER Thu 17-Jul-14 18:57:28

Hi again Mumsnetters,

Re my previous email, apologies for the previous non-functioning link. I think the link below should work:

www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/glasgow-city-council-stop-the-proposal-to-change-the-catchment-area-for-hillhead-primary-school-in-glasgow

Thank you for your support.

keepkelvineyc Mon 21-Jul-14 13:01:47

Over 120 children attend Kelvin Park Early Years Centre. There is a long waiting list too. The majority either have kids at Hillhead PS or plan to send their kids there. The Council did come up with expansion options and could both expand the school and keep the nursery on site - if enough people make a noise they will have to spend the money to make this happen! So we are asking parents from all affected schools and nurseries to please sign our petition to save the nursery...

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/glasgow-city-council-keep-kelvin-park-early-years-centre-on-site

keepkelvineyc Fri 12-Sep-14 23:33:06

If Kelvin Park Early Years closes there is a massive knock on effect all around the West End and the other Council Nurseries like Elie St and Belhaven will all be impacted on. Another knock on affect will be Garscube Playrooms will be given notice to leave their premises after 35 years on site so Cowcaddens nursery can expand. Save Kelvin Park EYC!

chiajan Sun 14-Sep-14 02:28:37

Hi parents! I am moving to Glasgow from Singapore in Nov. My children 4 &6 years old needs a school. We totally new about school systems here.

Hillhead is good but over subscribed. Would like to ask what is the main different btw popular and non popular schools?
Any parents have reviews on Anderson Primary School or any other not so popular schools?

Thank you very much for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now