Glasgow Princess Royal or The Southern (Queen Elizabeth) recommendations for delivering?

(9 Posts)
Missushb Mon 06-Jun-16 15:19:59

As I stay south side, it seems I can choose from either hospital to deliver. I had my son in the Royal, 4 and a half years ago, and wasn't overly impressed with the treatment. Had quite an unpleasant experience overall. Anyone vouch for the new hospital, or indeed the Royal as its been a while since I had my son, maybe things have changed! Thanks

mamaheartcake Mon 06-Jun-16 16:07:24

Southern before baby but Royal after. Seemed to take southern forever to chase results. Would tell you you'd be getting discharged and would appear after visiting (when you'd sent all your stuff home) to say you weren't 4 days in a row.

MadameCumberbatchio Mon 06-Jun-16 17:12:56

I found the royal quite grim and depressing.
I'd be hoping that the facilities at the new southern are a bit better

LittleElephant123 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:37:15

Had my little girl in the Southern in January. Cannot fault the delivery ward and midwives everything was fabulous. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the ward afterwards. The nurses were rude and impatient with me and other ladies. Seemed I was an in convince when I pushed the buzzer to ask them to lift my girl out the cot for me (had an emergency section so couldn't walk yet). Bed wasn't changed the 2 nights I was in. However not all the nurses made me feel like that some of them were lovely and took loads of time with me. Took ages to get discharged tho I kept having to chase them up

soosidemammy Tue 07-Jun-16 18:15:18

I had my daughter in the Royal 9 years ago and wasn't impressed at all. Postnatal was grim and I ended up with pnd, partly due to the care I received. I had both my sons in the southern - 5 years and 2 years ago. Really can't fault them. From maternity assessment right through to discharge I had no problems at all, both times. My first son was an emergency section and I felt well taken care of. I'm due baby number 4 in December and I'm happy to be delivering at the southern again.

Vivaglasvegas Tue 14-Jun-16 19:58:42

The southern maternity unit is not part of the new hospital as such, it is just the same maternity hospital co-located to the QEUH, there's a link corridor. The labour wards were newly lifted out about 6 years ago I think.

The antenatal appointments at the QEUH are very very busy so if you would need consultant led care, bear in mind that you can expect to wait about an hour or so from your appointment time, they are just totally swamped with people so clinics are overbooked.

The scanning department seem to run pretty much bang on time though!

JaiOm Fri 29-Jul-16 18:08:25

I chose southern as it was a few years ago purely so I didn't have to pay for parking at gri!

ashbash1783 Sat 13-Aug-16 23:03:07

Is there a loophole to getting into Paisley if you live in Glasgow? I want to use the birthing centre and that's the only one around, but I'm outside the boundary...

user1478528630 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:27:07

hi dear i willsuggest you dont stress over this issue .i was thinking same while had to decide where to deliver my wee girl last year..but i went dor princess royal..my expierence was very good.and during pregnancy whenever i was bit concerned they listned and afterwards checked my very carefully...i had my first baby in southren genrl and ward 52 was amazing .evev though while i was admitted 2 days ago as i had difficut labour started early one nurse was very rude and dry..i think royal is bit more easy to go and i had pleasent ecpierence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now