Local Talk

West End nursery advicce

(78 Posts)
cocobongo Tue 23-Feb-10 23:42:02

Hi

Just looking for a wee bit advice on nurseries in the West End. I'll be looking for 1-2 days per week from August-ish and my baby will be 1. Is there anywhere you would recommend? And are there likely to be waiting lists- should I be looking to sign up now?

Ideally, I would like somewhere fairly close to where I live (Wilton St), or at least somewhere close enough to an underground station.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I knew some women who were SVQ assessors who had been round loads of nurseries assessing the staff. They said the best one they'd seen was next to a school playing field in Anniesland (think Green Acres?). I saw it and liked it but too far away. A colleague used it and was happy.

I had put DS in Mackin nursery, behind the Mcdonalds at Anniesland X, for 3 days before they told me they'd seen unqualified staff left alone with 12 under 3's in the playground!! Removed him straight away.

I visited Victoria Park Kindergarten but didnt like the unhealthy snacks/meals they gave kids.

Also visited one next to Stow College. It looked good for 3+ but baby room was big and noisy and only a half-height wall between tiny babies and toddlers. Also they didnt provide lunch.

I used Carousel in Warroch St for 3 months when DS 1 year and was vv happy with it. They even have a ball pool!

Oh and I'd recommend going to look round a few asap. Good ones are usually booked a year in advance. Plus some might not want only 1 day, might say a min 2 1/2 or 3 days.

smallorange Wed 24-Feb-10 18:56:35

I've heard really good things about clarence house day nursery in kelbourne st. Baby room is very quiet, run by a lovely lady, staff seem older than usual, might suit you.

I've heard there are some good childminders in Kelvinside gardens, just behind Wilton st too.

cocobongo Mon 01-Mar-10 13:50:14

Thanks to both of you for the advice. Don't think Anniesland would be suitable- should have mentioned, I don't have a car. Will look into the options you have listed. Looks like I will have to get my skates on!

Any more advice from anyone else would be appreciated.

Thanks!

giraffesCantCeilidhDance Mon 01-Mar-10 15:00:31

Theres one just on the other side of kelvingrove thats good, if anyone know it its the one that has the electronic tag bigs at the door? \cant think of its name. \its 15min walk from wilton street.

I was going to say mulberrybush as have worked in there and liked it but a bit far

Is Acorn park the one you are thinking of Giraffes? I used to work there, and it is a good nursery.

DD also went to Carousel and I was always really happy with it too.

Although I know some nurseries can have an issue with only taking a baby for one day a week (or they used to, not sure if that has changed, not worked in or used a nursery for years!!)

giraffesCantCeilidhDance Mon 01-Mar-10 16:25:02

Yes I think thats the one. I took a child there a few times staff seemed good and parents happy with it but no experience other than that.

Stow college one was fab, loved it, but its closed now has it not? Was certainly meant to be closing.

Theres one in the anniesland/jordanhill area I really don't like but no onbes mentioned it yet wink so thats ok. I dont think they take babies anyway.

smallorange Mon 01-Mar-10 17:51:27

Oh just remembered the one at maryhill community halls in maryhill road. A friend really liked it and so did I. Staff very pleasant, baby room looked very stulating for tots.

cocobongo Wed 03-Mar-10 13:39:08

Thanks for all the advice, it's been really useful.

smile

giggly Sun 07-Mar-10 23:20:36

Victoria Park Kinder garden is not next to the subway but is on Dunbarton Road, so plenty of buses.

I dont know when fas visited but the snacks tend to be fruit/vegetables. They have had an overhaul our their menu and it is definitely better.

They are also moving into the old Nova bathrooms building and will have more space for under 2 as there is a long waiting list.

I visited the one on Crow Road in Partick and it smelled really bad.

logrrl Wed 10-Mar-10 21:56:08

I checked out a few in the area.

Really hated WestEndNursery-no natural light,kids watching a DVD the day I was there and no observable interaction between kids and staff in the twenty mins I was there.

Step by Step has plenty of spaces but they called me back three weeks after I called saying they'd just got me message as they couldn't work the answer machine. I decided that if they couldn't do this in the 21st century then I wouldn't be comfortable with them looking after DS.

The one in Community Central Hall on Maryhill road is reportedly good and council run so you are guaranteed the staff qualifications etc, but again no natural light.

We chose Clarence House on Hotspur Street. They take 3 babies on Mon and Fri and six the other days.

cocobongo Fri 12-Mar-10 13:03:40

Thanks again for the additional advice. I think Victoria Park will probably be too awkward to get to for me. I will check out Clarence House, that sounds good.

cocobongo Fri 12-Mar-10 16:24:58

I am also going to check out Derby St nursery- does anyone have any experience if it?

SlummyMummyAndProud Wed 07-Apr-10 22:40:05

You could maybe try Sandy Road day nursery in Partick. It's a fab wee place and is run by the council.

There is also Sandyford Day Nursery which is in Anderston. My DS went there & i cannot rate it high enough. The baby room they had was amazing, full sensory equiptment and the staff were lovely.

magbags Sun 18-Apr-10 21:07:24

We also use Clarence House Nursery and couldn't recommend it highly enough. logrrl I wonder if we know eachother? smile

mamasparkle Tue 20-Apr-10 20:53:14

Acorn Park is a really great nursery (though pricey) - have friends who've used it. Two of our DDs went to Somerset Nursery which I really recommend, on Fitzroy Place near Kelvingrove Park.

LS99 Sun 18-Jul-10 15:35:07

Re the Derby Street Nursery - the national press highlighted this nursery in various articles about gangsters running nurseries and the nursery itself is a former brothel which is still owned and run by the same family! The nursery looks good as it was recently refurbished but it has very few children in it and its fees are unusually high. If you google Derby Street information comes up about the Kelvingrove "Health Club"

joan813 Wed 08-Sep-10 11:46:09

Hi mums.After being at 2 other nurserys ive finally found one that ticks all the boxes Derby st nurserys the kids and i just love it

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Wed 08-Sep-10 19:02:41

Victoria park one isn't great - when you view a room all the staff are moved in their for your benefit. In reality the staff seem very thinly spread and they are very upset about this, it seems its all about money.

AvrilHeytch Wed 08-Sep-10 19:38:53

Message withdrawn

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Wed 08-Sep-10 19:41:45

There are ratios - doesnt mean they are followed.

kirmcc Thu 09-Sep-10 12:41:42

if you want a good idea of how the staff are at a nursery near kelvingrove park i would recommend going to the park on a dry day and casually watch them. they all go to the park and that way you can see how they interact with the kids outwith the actual nursery

Bababoom Wed 15-Sep-10 22:28:58

My son has been at the Happy Days nursery in Maryhill Centrall Halls for two years - it's really great, and much cheaper than a private nursery. We're really happy with the nursery nurses - their faces just glow when they talk about our son - really committed workers (with well-paid jobs and decent working conditions, which is important to us).

sb6699 Wed 15-Sep-10 23:32:18

Wouldnt recommend Victoria Park. Although it may have changed recently I really wasnt happy with it after it changed ownership.

It did seem to be all about money and can vouch for Giraffes opinion that some of the staff are unhappy.

If you live near the train station, I can highly recommend Brooklands Nursery in Dalmuir. Beautiful nursery, lovely staff, clean and well equipped.

AvrilHeytch Thu 16-Sep-10 12:22:20

Message withdrawn

sb6699 Thu 16-Sep-10 14:09:25

As I said, I really cant comment on the new premises and I wasnt unhappy with day to day nursery life but more how the place was being run.

I know that on one occassion one of the staff told me something that was basically illegal as far as employment law goes and I just think a nursery is far nicer if the staff are happy. There also seemed to be a high ratio of trainees in relation to qualified staff which again may have improved.

We (including a couple of the other parents) had an issue with fees which in fairness could have been a genuine mistake but the owners were not particularly helpful in having it resolved.

AvrilHeytch Thu 16-Sep-10 20:49:30

Message withdrawn

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Thu 16-Sep-10 20:58:36

Avril was it a surprise or planned visit?

runnervt Thu 16-Sep-10 21:04:44

Nightingales Nursery at Yorkhill hospital is lovely. You don't have to be staff to use it.

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Thu 16-Sep-10 21:07:51

Mulberrybush in Yorkhill area is fab too.

AvrilHeytch Thu 16-Sep-10 21:36:57

Message withdrawn

giggly Wed 22-Sep-10 00:33:00

Derby Street nursery is owned and run by the daughter of the family who ran a brothel out of the same building!

Victoria Park has not changed ownership in 10 years, has had the same manger and room supervisiors for at least 7 years and in the last 5 years 3 members of staff have left{excluding mat leave}. Not bad for a staff turn over I would think.
They also introduced in line with changes in law the HNC ratio to unqualified staff as did all nurseries.

In 6 years of using Victoria Park have I ever heard of them moving staff to impress parents, and I belong to the gossip parents!

Surely if the staff were that unhappy they would have a higher turnover?

kellymck Wed 06-Oct-10 14:17:16

Hi, has anone used Hyde n seek nursery at templeton? was thinking of putting my wee boy in there. x

cas78 Mon 07-Feb-11 13:43:49

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.
We have been offered a place 3 days a week at Nightingales Nursery or Mulberry Bush Montessori both in Yorkhill area.
Any thoughts on which one I should take would be very much appreciated??

suzikettles Fri 11-Feb-11 01:03:57

They are both excellent nurseries - great choice to have!

I have a friend whose son is very happy at Mullberry Bush. I like the Montessori ethos for pre-school so I'd have gone for that (if they'd been able to offer ds a place when we were looking 3 years ago..).

Nightingales gets excellent Care Commission reports and I also know someone whose dd went there (though years ago now) and they were very happy.

mmsmum Fri 11-Feb-11 19:31:30

Hi, I don't know if you have found anywhere yet but my daugther went to Acorn Park and we loved it. It gave her an amazing start so I highly recommend it

Issi74 Sat 14-May-11 09:18:12

Hi, my DS (2 yers old) is currently at nursery2 days, and in the autumn, I'll be returning to work, and will be putting in my DD (will be 9 months then) in to nursery as well. Although DS loves the nursery that he is currently in, I'm starting to have my reservations (things like staff always under pressure, not enough staff, door gate is broken and hasn't been fixed for weeks, not sure that he is getting stimulated enough), and I am starting to look for other nurseries. I live in Finneston, and annoyingly don't drive, so the nursery needs to be in walking distance for me. Does anyone have any children at the Derby Street nursery, as I've always thought that looks really nice, but the stories on here are a bit shock! If anyone had a recommendation (the Montesorrie nursery at Park Circus doesn't take babies), would be most appreciative!! Thanks

giraffesCantDanceWiOotBuckie Sat 14-May-11 10:05:53

have worked in mulberrybush - wonderful.

suzikettles Sat 14-May-11 19:04:17

I know someone who's dc has just started at Derby St and she's v happy with it (she knew the background but mud aside, it impressed her when she visited). It certainly got a very good initial Care Commission report.

Ds used to go to Parkgrove Nursery next door which had not that great a report last time out but we were always really happy with the staff and the nursery. The manager is newish and works really hard. We only moved ds to send him to the Clairmont kindergarten branch of the same chain up the road.

Issi74 Sun 15-May-11 08:18:18

Thanks for replies - Giraffe - is there a website for the Mulberry Bush nursery - I've googled it but can't seem to see any website for the place. Think I'll go & visit the Derby street nursery. I see them in the park often and the kids look v happy, and lots of interaction etc......

Thanks again!

giraffesCantDanceWiOotBuckie Sun 15-May-11 09:31:07

They used to have a website, I cant find it though. Thing I like about them is how often they go out - both outside to play and out to park/walk/art gals.

fifitrixabelle78 Sat 21-May-11 17:38:21

Hi...
Am only 8+0 today so this is a slightly idle enquiry but I stay in the Victoria Park area and will need to think about nurseries in due course.
I was really interested in seeing what people are saying about VP nursery as that would be v close for us.

Clearly nurseries are booked up v quickly so I was wondering how far in advance places like Nightingales or the Mulberry Bush get booked?

suzikettles Sat 21-May-11 19:08:59

Hi fifi - I don't know about Victoria Park, but as far as popular nurseries go, it's not unusual for people to start looking while they're still pregnant. My friend had it all sorted by the time she was 20 weeks.

Then there are people like me who don't get their arse into gear until 4 months before they go back to work. grin I did phone Nightingales & Mullberry Bush, and went on the waiting list for Nightingales (although came off after ds settled in his eventual nursery) but neither would have been able to offer a place before August of the following year.

fifitrixabelle78 Sun 22-May-11 08:46:15

Thanks suzi. This whole pregnancy and afterwards thing a bit bamboozling! The only hard fact I had heard is that I'll need to put the little bean's name down for J'hill immediately once he/she is born- school-wise. At least bang in middle of catchment area for there!
Will look at some nursery sites.

suzikettles Sun 22-May-11 14:47:03

Well weirdly this week I heard someone say that their friend phoned up Jordanhill when their ds was born to put his name down and was told "you're leaving it a bit late for primary school".

However, that might have been an out of catchment place, and anyway it's one of those friend-of-a-friend stories that may have little basis in fact..

Personally, I was a bit in denial about the whole post-birth-you-take-home-an-actual-baby thing so I didn't really do anything other than a buy a pack of nappies, a few babygrows and a pram before ds was actually here.

gilfillan74 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:33:20

Help
Visited two nurseries today for my 3 year old, 1st one was step by step nursery i really liked the girl's there but the place didnt have alot of light and the place was quite messy, 2nd one was west end nursery great looking place we went in on a quiet day but didnt really get the enthusiasm as in the 1st and plus my son seemed to settle in the 2nd one better WHAT do i do? checked the care commission report and the 1st nursery seemed to excel HELP

Geordieminx Mon 15-Aug-11 20:40:39

IMO a messy place means more fun!

I would make a choice based on which one my ds settled in, and seemed happiest in, and also on my gut instinct,

I saw 2 nurseries, first one was brand new, all singing and dancing, underfloor heating, kitchen where kids can watch their meals being prepared. The other was chaotic, messy, and loud, with the friendliest, enthusiastic approchable staff.

We picked the second, and have never regretted our decision. Ds settled in immediately, and it's become like a second home to him.

ClubSmed Fri 01-Jun-12 18:56:29

I am moving to the area soon, has anyone got an oppinion on Munro's?

Serennova Tue 05-Jun-12 12:04:57

Dunno, however regarding Step by Step, its a fantastic nursery. Dont judge them by the answering machine! All of the staff are lovely, and it has a very caring environment. I have two kids there and they both love it there.

Regarding messy, I definitely regard a messy nursery as better because the staff are prioritizing looking after the kids and having fun.

Practitioner86 Fri 31-Aug-12 16:20:41

I have worked in Somerset Nursery - Parkgrove Terrace and Clairmont Gardens and could not recommend the nurseries enough. Children are very much at the centre of everything and their enjoyment was always top of the priority list. I can say the nurseries were very safe, clean and great fun for everyone there. It was a great place to work and many of the staff had been there for a considerable amount of time. I would have absolutely no worries about placing a child of mine in either of these nurseries.

forgetmenots Wed 31-Oct-12 20:12:42

Practitioner86, how far in advance would you have to get a baby on the waiting list for somerset? Looks lovely (like the look of Montessori too). Anyone tried Four Seasons at the Skypark?

fyogaff Sun 04-Nov-12 16:40:25

Hi, has anybody used Links Nursery Craighall, near Spierswharf? I work around that way and it is very handy for work but I can't seem to find anybody that has used it. Any other suggestions for nurseries around that area would be good.

suzyjetfighter Mon 31-Dec-12 13:32:57

Love Somerset nursery. Daughter was there from 6 months to 5 years and loved it. Wonderful care, lovely lovely staff.

Littlebleu Tue 08-Jan-13 23:11:42

Hi Suzy I'm probably going to need nursery for 3 days a week, when dc is a year old, would I have to book Somerset from birth can you remember? Thanks

Littlebleu Tue 08-Jan-13 23:12:06

Sorry just saw someone else asked something similar above.

suzyjetfighter Wed 09-Jan-13 07:40:05

Hi little bleu. My dd started at Somerset at about 6-7 months. I booked her in just after she was born.

Somerset is great but it's not cheap. I didn't realise that there are council run daycares. You may want to investigate these eg the nursery at Hilllhead school in kelvingrove park before you go to Somerset.

McPinoTata Wed 09-Jan-13 21:14:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Littlebleu Wed 09-Jan-13 21:41:31

Thanks Suzy smile

Wabberjocky Sun 13-Jan-13 09:53:23

If youre in the west end, i recommend rockmount in g11, five mi s from hillhead. My son is so happy there.

Lisab10 Fri 25-Jan-13 22:17:57

My little boy has been attending links nursery for 2 years and is very happy. Staff are lovely an have found they always go the extra mile for you. My little boy has had health issues an they are grt at attending for his needs. Couldn't recommend it enough.

rainbowdreams01 Wed 30-Jan-13 15:13:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

bobcat2007 Mon 04-Feb-13 17:26:08

Hi all, I was just wondering if any mums had went on to put their little ones to Derby St and if you were happy overall? I am torn between Derby St and the Four Seasons in town but would prefer my little one to be able to have access to the park rather than be in the city centre....any help would be much appreciated as we are struggling to choose!

artfunk23 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:57:36

The Learning Zone Nursery - 1211 Dumbarton Road, Whiteinch, G14 9UP

My son goes here - best nursery in the West End by FAR!

I think this is their website: www.thelearningzonenursery.co.uk

You can just drop in - you don't need an appointment. They are a day nursery which means they are open all year round and from 8am to 6pm every day. They take from birth to school ages.

I can't rate them highly enough. My son had a really bad experience in a bigger nursery and I'd been stressing about where to send him as all the local council nurseries waiting lists are so long. Then this one opened up in October last year (2012). Seriously - a godsend!!

The staff are amazing, and their's only 10 of my son's age group so he gets lots and lots of attention. Really homely. I'd recommend it to anyone as it's also handy just up from Partick in Whiteinch.

artfunk23 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:00:10

Oh - I also want to add bobcat, that The Learning Zone nursery is just across from Victoria Park which they utilise. They also have their own private gardens and I they will be doing trips to the local museums. They're also looking for a Spanish teacher at the moment and will be starting dance classes soon.

I looked at the four seasons tbh and I just felt The Learning Zone won hands down. (I also work in town!)

artfunk23 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:09:47

McPinotata - The Learning Zone Nursery is in Scotstoun. It's DIRECTLY across from Victoria Park Kindergarten- it's new - just opened in Oct last year (2012). I can't rate it highly enough. There is a serious shortage of nurseries in our area and I feel this nursery is just what we need!

NiceMiceEatRice Fri 15-Mar-13 15:59:17

artfunk how long has your son been in the learning zone? My sister told me about it but I thought it had only opened in January?

artfunk23 Fri 22-Mar-13 09:38:04

Hi, My son started at The Learning Zone first week in January but apparently it had opened in October 2012. My son was at another nursery before that as I didn't realise their were any other nurseries in the area. I actually popped in off the cuff when I drove past it one morning and was so impressed I have to say. My son is so happy there and that makes me happy and has really helped me going back to work as I just never felt comfortable with him at the last nursery. There were 60 kids in the class! I just don't know how that works!!! The class sizes are really small at The Learning Zone which is one of the main reasons I switched. So yeah, my son has made some really great friends and the staff really go that step extra. For example, he has come home and started to spell words out and things. He's always been really interested in letters and numbers (takes after his dad!) and they picked up on it and called across to Scotstoun Primary to get the reading/writing curriculum for him! They are encouraging him in the things he likes and excels in and this is something that they never did in his last nursery! He's come home and I can really see that they spend time with him in the things that he likes to do. I' m really impressed that they actually do what they say they do! Hard to find these days. There feedback is also great - they have a great daily diary thing which is always very detailed which I like and he comes home with new songs and lots of stories to tell! I've sometimes phoned during the day too and they have actually let me talk to him on the phone (their suggestion) which was nice when he was settling in! I really would recommend this place. I went up and down the west end trying to find somewhere for nearly a year that had places. So glad this one opened!

NiceMiceEatRice Fri 29-Mar-13 09:04:22

I've been to see a few recently and have wait listed my child at a couple of nice ones. I saw a couple of middle of the road and some that was just not for me. I came on to say I went to see four seasons at the skypark and was really pretty apaulled by it. I wouldn't go and given all the prices are much of a muchness I can't really see why anyone would. Feel a bit mean writing that but it was genuinely bad.

NiceMiceEatRice Thu 23-May-13 10:26:45

Hi

After looking like we would get nothing I've now an offer of acorn park and mulberry bush. It's so long since I saw them I can't recall what I liked best. Any advice?

artfunk23 Mon 27-May-13 14:51:26

Hi - Haven't heard of Acorn Park but I visited Mulberry Bush as I liked the Montessori ethos, but was put off by the manager who showed me around. The only child she talked to or showed any warmth to, happened to be her own child there!!! Funnily enough, the care inspectorate report highlighted a complaint and when I emailed requesting more info, it was to do with staff/staffing levels/qualifications. The complaint was a few years ago now but it doesn't seem to have been resolved as per the details on their website. I would also check out their partnership council funding - they split it all between parents which I think is a bit unfair. On the whole though, their environment looked good but there was something that just stopped me putting my son there (I also got a place there). I'm glad though - I am more happy with The Learning Zone as is my son!

DebbieT69 Thu 20-Jun-13 10:21:22

My girls loved Acorn Park, really annoyed that I don't work close enough for my son to go there now.
Son is at Victoria Park but I'm having real concerns and looking for someone where else as soon as possible.

Rosiebettyboo Fri 26-Jul-13 21:03:45

Dd went to Somerset Nursery, the fitzroy place one, then clairmont gardens kindergarten. Totally pleased with it. DS is now at Fitzroy place, new manager, some of the same staff, but oh my goodness, the new manager has done so much, so creative, I am so impressed. The care was always good, but they have really used the space much better, lots more for the children to do, DS loves the sensory room and the garden, they have a mini kitchen, house room, plus, they change the themes of the normal rooms every month. DS was like the hardest, clingiest one to leave me, but he loves the staff and nursery and it is because they took such care helping him settle.
Would absolutely recommend.

Fox212 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:23:34

Can anyone recommend a good childminder in West End? Really struggling to find one with places!

carovioletfizz Thu 22-Aug-13 21:53:56

I don't know one Fox, but will tweet and Facebook this question for you so hopefully someone will be along soon!

parentintraining Tue 04-Feb-14 18:44:29

Hi there,

just wondering if anyone has any direct knowledge of Kelvinside kindergarten on lancaster crescent lane. I'm thinking of moving my 16 month old there as it's way nearer to our house than her current one. I went for a visit and although the rooms were much smaller it seemed nice and has a very good rating from inspectorate. I just wanted 1st / 2nd hand info if possible before i make my decision

hooptastic Tue 11-Feb-14 21:45:21

If your looking for an excellent nursery in Glasgow you should arrange a visit to Step By Step Nursery. My DD attends the Knightswood nursery as it is close by. They do have other centres I think. It is my DD's second home. The staff are wonderful and go above and beyond. They have a large outdoor space, football and music class and they arrange a variety of events for parents to attend. They also have a PTA who are organising family events to socialise at the weekend.
Would highly recommend.

suzieshaw Wed 05-Mar-14 14:18:12

Hi,

On this topic, I wonder if I can ask some advice?

I am looking in advance at nurseries in the west end. Does anyone know if one exists that opens after 6pm? I work until 6pm 2 nights per week so would ideally find a nursery that'll take babies & is open until 6:30.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

suzieshaw Wed 05-Mar-14 14:19:08

Hi,

I am looking in advance at nurseries in the west end. Does anyone know if one exists that opens after 6pm? I work until 6pm 2 nights per week so would ideally find a nursery that'll take babies & is open until 6:30.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now