Local Talk

Anybody from Stroud?

(85 Posts)
emwhight Wed 21-Apr-10 13:58:20

We moved to Stroud (Chalford) early December and still not managed to form a social network around the area. I have a 2 year old daughter who loves the company of other children, and now the summer has come we'd love to get out and about. Meet-ups in parks? Play areas? We're not fussy and happy to try anything new.
Please get in touch if you're in a similar situation, or fancy taking us on as a charity case!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 21-Apr-10 14:07:38

Hello.

I am from Gloucester, however my dd is 14 so will be no good for your little one to meet!

However there is a very active meet up thread for Gloucester mums with some lovely MNers on it - they meet up pretty frequently (usually in Gloucester but I am sure that there are some Stroud mums on there).

Worth a look anyway - good luck.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/meetups/748037-Anyone-in-Gloucester-area

emwhight Thu 22-Apr-10 13:57:03

Brilliant! Thankyou very much. I needed somebody to point me in the right direction - will try there. In the meantime, any other offers of a meet-up would gratefully received.

PatTheHammer Sat 24-Apr-10 13:42:00

Hi emwhight, I have replied to you on the Glos thread, but thought I would write on here too!
I have a 3yo (nearly 4) DD and a 15mo DS if you fancied a meet sometime. I live in Stonehouse but work in Chalford and the kids go to nursery in Stroud. Thurs afternoons and school hols usually good for us.

HeathB Thu 03-Jun-10 19:59:40

Hi there, just trawling through older posts to find out about Stroud and the surrounding areas. We currently live in Bristol, have two children aged 2 and half and 3 months, but are seriously thinking of relocating to Stroud. I was interested in your post Em (Emma?) because Chalford is one of the places we are looking at - has it been difficult to settle in? or 6 weeks on from the last post have you found your feet?

I really yearn to be back in the countryside, but am worried that we might be leaving our good set up here, with lots of friends, for a lonely isolated life? How are you doing? What is Chalford like as a place to live, or have you discovered any other parts of Stroud where it is all happening.

BTW, if we do move I have a very sociable 2 and a half year old who'd love to play!

Hi I am in Gloucester and have a social network but not one as a mum to a toddler iykwim. My DD is 22 months -

PatTheHammer Fri 04-Jun-10 21:09:57

Hi guys, just to let you know that we have had a successful Stroud meet-up the other week and a few of us met up and plan to do so again, probably at Stratford or Bussage park, so keep an eye out.

HeathB- Chalford is gorgeous and has a very active mum and toddler scene. I don't live there but work nearby. Stroud in general is great for children and families, the people are very friendly (I too was an immigrant from the south-east though 8 years ago!) I think and has very good primary schools. I don't want to speak for Emwhight but she did say there were some very friendly toddler groups local to Chalford so thats always encouraging

Hi to Florence too!

HeathB Sun 06-Jun-10 00:48:59

Thanks for your replies - we have been to Stroud today to have a good look round and are really taken with it, - would love any advice on nice areas - we plan to rent to start with to suss out what's what - but some...any advice would be gratefully received.
Wonder if we are searching for a rural idyll but would like to live somewhere that has lovely walks and a country feel as part of a community? Any tips? We love walking, playing outside with our little lads, and being pretty relaxed!

Thanks in advance (and if anyone knows of any 3+ bedroomed places to rent....it seems that the market for rental properties is V competitive!)

Heather

PatTheHammer Sun 06-Jun-10 18:00:58

Hi Heather, Hope you enjoyed Stroud today, even though it was raining!!

There are many areas like that you describe, Nailsworth, Chalford, Minchinhampton, Amberley, Rodborough, Slad, The Stanleys, Eastington, Frocester, Pitchcombe, Randwick. Stroud itself is a bit cheaper than those areas listed above. There are still some nice bits but I would avoid anywhere in the cashes green or Parliament school catchment areas as these are the primary schols everyone seems to be trying to NOT send their kids toowink

We live in Stonehouse, which is cheap for buying and rental and very much has a commuity feel. The town centre is not great but lots of facilities (library, parks, toddler groups etc) and close to motorway to get to some decent shops (lets face it, the shops in Stroud are pretty dirge but Cheltenham, Gloucester, Cirencester adn Bristol are all very short drives away).

Rental wise I would advise against using Brian Smith or Sawyers as agents as friends of mine have had real difficulty with them. We rented from Peter Joy and prvious to that, Andrews and always found them great.

HeathB Wed 09-Jun-10 20:41:39

Thanks Pat - Have found a 3 bed house to rent, but it is in the Parliament school catchment - so your advice is very helpful and timely!

katylm Thu 10-Jun-10 11:53:30

Hi. We moved to Stroud recently from Leicestershire - OH has been here 10 weeks, me and 19 month old son for two. We are renting a house and hope to buy soon, once our old house has sold. Thinking about it, our rented house is probably in Parliament School catchment area, so perhaps that why it was available. I am pregnant too - due in 9 weeks time! It is really interesting to get advice on which bits of Stroud to avoid etc for schools in the future. I would be very interested to meet up if there is another one arranged.

HeathB Fri 11-Jun-10 22:45:28

Hi Katy, How are you finding Stroud or is it too early to tell? We have a couple of viewings next week and I am bringing the boys up ( they are 2 & a half and 3 months) with me to have a yomp round during the day and get another feel for the place. Would also be really interested in any other meet ups - even before we take the plunge and move.

Hi
I've been living in Stroud a number of years now - I moved from London and really missed that life for quite a while but I love it here in Stroud and there are so many things going on!
I have 3 DS's, aged 10, 7 and 18 months, so am still doing the mother and toddler "scene", or rather getting back into it!

Am really happy to meet up HeathB,emwhight or katylm or anyone in fact as I remember so well the days of trying to get to grips with this place (there are so many things that are on that are never advertised, you have to be "in the know" as it were) so I'm more than happy to point anyone in the direction of schools, areas etc

katylm Sat 12-Jun-10 18:53:23

Hi. What day are you planning on coming up to Stroud HeathB? Perhaps we could meet up then? Any advice on toddler groups for a very active 19 month old Fingeroffudge? He will be in nursery on Mondays so I am looking for activities on other days.

We have just been in Devon for a week's holiday so now we are back I really need to start our new life here in earnest.

PatTheHammer Sun 13-Jun-10 19:51:25

Oh hi folks, busy on here since I last looked!

Hi Katy and fingeroffudge.

Fingeroffudge- your youngest DS is the same age as minesmile. I love how busy Stroud is for activities and we love a wander round the farmers market on a sat morning, great innit!

Katy; Amberley toddlers is excellent, I think its on a tues adn thurs mornings. Painswick toddlers is meant to be really good, as is bussage toddlers. 'Go bananas' soft-play does a toddler morning too There are some swim-tots things at stratford park (fridays?) There is also a music group at the sub rooms one morning. Toddler groups and family time run at the childrens centre in Stonehouse on various days and they are very friendly used to take DD and DS there.

I will get on to Emwhight and Yogini abou another meet-up soon. When is good for everyone?

Would thursday 24th be good for anyone? We can do morning or afternoon now as my DD no longer at pre-school on a thursday.

katylm Tue 15-Jun-10 09:12:17

Thanks for the info pat. I could probably do next Thursday pm for a meet up.

PatTheHammer Wed 16-Jun-10 19:39:51

Ok, how does 1pm next thursday sound? I would say a good place to meet is Stratford Park, could meet by the benches outside the Lido?

Yogini, who came to the last meeting has said she is coming and I just need to hear back from Emma.

Anyone else around, Heath? Finger? (sorry couldn't resist the shortened versionwink)

emwhight Wed 16-Jun-10 19:41:24

Hi folks. Feeling a bit emarrassed that I started this thread and not checked it in a while! From the top:

HeathB - Stroud is great! There is a lot going on for the under 5s. Chalford is beautiful, but also has its down-sides. If you live at the bottom of the valley it is very dark in the winter as the sunlight never hits you properly (I found it quite depressing), but there seems to be a great community spirit if you can cope with a bit of bleakness in the winter months. It's quite a sprawling village, or sections of village, and living somewhere with great neighbours and a happening vibe would be great. Unfortunately we chose badly, as far as an immediate local scene goes, but only renting so it's good that we discovered this now rather than later. There are loads of good toddler groups about - I'm a big fan on Chalford Valley and Bussage (both very friendly) and Amberley (great facilities and music-time).

Florence - I'm in the Cheltenham/Gloucester area on Monday afternoons if you ever fancy meeting up.

HeathB - Can't really help with info on other areas of Stroud, but I'd very much trust and go with Pat's advice on this one. Re letting agents - we rent through Parkers and they've been pretty good so far.

Katylm, fudge and all above, hope to catch up with you Thursday 24th!

katylm Wed 23-Jun-10 15:47:48

I'm afraid I won't be able to make the meet up tomorrow - just relaised I have double booked us. Hope to catch up with you all at some point soon. katylm

EllaHoskin Mon 12-Jul-10 19:20:15

Hi, I've just moved to Stroud from London, I have family here but don't know many people with babies. I have a 15 month old son called Walter and would love to meet up with other mums. If there are plans for any meet ups please let me know. xxx

Lowrilou Mon 12-Jul-10 21:31:38

Hi - I've just (a week ago) moved to Stroud (Bussage) from London and would love to meet other mums and children. I have a 3 year old (almost 4) boy and a 2 year old girl. I am planning to go to the Bussage toddler group this Wednesday, but please let me know if you are planning any meet ups. Louise.

PatTheHammer Wed 14-Jul-10 22:31:27

Hi and welcome to Ella and Louise.

Katy- how's it going? Settling in well? Don't worry about last meet, it was just Emwhight and I in the end and we had a lovely afternoon at Stratford Park tiring out the DCsgrin

Meet up coming soon I expect. I finish for summer hols week after next and we are a lot more flexible then.

In fact we can do the first wednesday of the hols (28th?) If anyone else can? Emwhight and I were thinking of Bussage Park or somewhere similar.

Lowrilou Thu 15-Jul-10 22:02:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lowrilou Sat 17-Jul-10 22:12:51

Hi all - I put my phone number in my last post without thinking about it, hence message withdrawn just to be on the safe side. Anyway, as I had said, Wednesday 28th would be good for us. I will be going to the Bussage toddler group in the village hall next to the park in the morning, so any time from 11.30 would be great. Later is also fine as we live near the park. Look forward to meeting some of you. Louise.

emwhight Wed 21-Jul-10 22:33:39

Hi folks.
Louise - Sorry I missed you at Bussage toddlers. I usually go there, but having a run of busy Wednesdays at the mo. Not able to make it again until 11th August, but if you want to meet sooner then CAT me (if you can) and I'd be glad to meet up on another day. Or we could meet in Bussage park one afternoon smile?
Pat and Ella - Sorry I can't make the 28th, suddenly all goes crazy-hectic for the school hols (think we've tried to pack too much into 6 weeks confused), but have a couple of windows (7th-12th August and the full week of the bank hoilday) if you fancy meeting up then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now