Local Talk

Needing advice about nurseries

(5 Posts)
newbutoldgirl Fri 30-Nov-12 21:45:18

It feels very weird posting on a Gloucester thread, but I've just found out we're moving in jan 2013. My husband has a new job and while we know the area fairly well (I'm from Wales and family are all along the M4!), we've not lived around this area since having kids. Funny how you view things differently once you have them!

We've been living in Scotland and my 3yr old twins have been in nursery since August. I'll be looking at finding them a new nursery but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I can only seem to find private nurseries or playgroups. I want a state nursery, that will lead onto their primary school. Feels like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Help! Feel a huge amount of pressure to get this right as this is a pretty major move and I don't want to have the kids move schools again.

Also, my experience of being up here is that the council are pretty useless at conveying info as to when forms have to be in and things. Kids start in August up here. If they start in Sept in England, when do you have to get forms in? When do they start primary school? Slightly panicking as my two only go for two small sessions a week and they're no way near ready for school!

So many questions. I apologise. The logistics of moving a family of five 460miles south is freaking me out!

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 21:47:06

When are their birthdays and are you looking to live in gloucester or surrounding areas?

Welcome to Glawstershire Btw grin

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 21:48:07

If they are 4 before next September then they will be starting Reception in 2013 and the forms have to be in by early/mid jan

redjules73 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:52:36

As far as I know the closing date for the September 2013 start at school is Jan 15th 2013. If your dcs were born before 31st August 2009 they will start in Sept 13. They have to start school the term after their 5th birthday but most of the schools round here (glos / oxon border) are single intake.

Re the nursery leading into school, afaik its doesn't make any difference to the admission criteria. My dd attends the pre-school in the same building as the school I'm hoping she will attend but it won't give her any advantage in getting into the school.

Good luck with the move

newbutoldgirl Sat 01-Dec-12 19:48:00

Hi,
Thanks everyone. I'm so excited about move. Boys were born in June so yep, it looks like they'll be starting school then. I so wasn't prepared for that! They're so little. It's so interesting how different the system is.

Just need to find a house now!
Sure I'll be back on here with more questions. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now