Local Talk

Health Clubs - any recommendations?

(14 Posts)
CavHouse Fri 30-Nov-12 22:24:10

Hi there, I grew up in Cheltenham and have since moved away, but my folks are still there. It's my dad's birthday on Monday (eek - am a bit disorganised). He doesn't want any "stuff" so I thought membership to a health club would be good. He likes swimming so if anyone knows of one with a good (large) pool that would be great.

They live near the Cheltenham Ladies College swimming pool so was thinking of getting him membership of that but I know the opening hours are a bit irregular. So if anyone has a recommendation I would be enormously grateful.

CavHouse Fri 30-Nov-12 22:24:42

Oh I should add cost isn't really that much of an issue as it will be spread between me and my brothers.

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 22:28:17

Virgin Active in Gloucester is good. 25m pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi. Good opening hours and staff very friendly.

The Virgin Active in Brockworth has an outdoor pool as well which is lovely but much more expensive. they also have indoor tennis, so if he is into that, then this might be a good option.

Not sure on any others, although you can swim at Cheltenham Lido, although this might be a tad chilly this time of year! Lovely in the summer though and is heated.

CavHouse Fri 30-Nov-12 22:31:51

Thanks GlosGirl, I'll take a look at the Brockworth one - Gloucester might be a bit far for him.

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 22:35:50

It's on the roundabout opposite Sainsbo's, and next to TenPin, so actually about equidistant to the Brockworth one i would say.

If you go on their website you can get a free trial which i have done with loads of my mates grin so you might want to offer him that to see which suits best

CavHouse Fri 30-Nov-12 22:48:57

Thanks heaps! I've just looked at their website, when I said money was not object . . . I'm obviously out of touch with HOW MUCH THESE PLACES CHARGE! blush

I'll put it to my brothers though who are more loaded than me generous and see what they think.

Are the pools good? As that's all he'll be interested in - are they big? 25m+?

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 22:58:33

I am a member at Glos so only really know that one - def 25m pool. They also do yoga/pilates which a fair few 'older' peeps and me go to and also i think have an exercise & coffee morning at least one day a week (i see them all signing in). I am guessing off peak membership may be ok? i think this is a fair bit cheaper. If you phone, try and speak to Fran as she is lovely and will give you any info you need.

I think brockworth is a 25m pool too.

there is also a gym by the Holiday inn on the same roundabout (Fitness First?) but i'm not sure they have a pool

Cheltersgal Fri 30-Nov-12 23:00:40

I would of thought LA fitness in Cheltenham down the Tewkesbury Road would be more local and closer.

If he lives by the ladies college, it's quite a way to Gloucester

GloucestershireGirl Fri 30-Nov-12 23:00:53

£29.95 off peak is reasonable i would say given others i have seen

Cheltersgal Fri 30-Nov-12 23:03:01

it also has a pool

Cheltersgal Fri 30-Nov-12 23:04:46

meant La Fitness cheltenham has a pool

CavHouse Sat 01-Dec-12 00:53:47

Thanks dudes. Awesome work. Is the LA Fitness pool a 25m jobby?

Cheltersgal Sat 01-Dec-12 07:42:29

I don't know as I've never been but there is a photo of it if (you have to you scroll through at the side ) here

CavHouse Sat 01-Dec-12 09:11:50

Thank you Cheltersgirl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now