Local Talk

Moving to Cirencester - tell me you are all lovely friendly people!

(11 Posts)
OhNoWontDo Sun 16-Dec-12 19:40:17

We've just bought a new house and are moving 100 miles in March to Cirencester. I've got 3 DC (5, 7 & 9) - currently struggling to find a school with space for all of them!

I'm hoping that someone out there can give me clues on clubs to replace the ones we're leaving behind (karate, Gymnastics, football and swimming). Where's good to go for a run out and what to do when it's raining!

I'm orginally from Stroud so not completely clueless but didn't have DC when I lived there!

OhNoWontDo Thu 24-Jan-13 20:04:08

bump?

TheCommonWoMan Fri 25-Jan-13 10:50:07

Bumping for you OhNo.

Am not in Cirencester (Stroud), but have every sympathy. When we moved to Stroud 7 or so years ago, I had 3 DC at 3 different schools!

One was secondary school, but was very lacking in confidence, so I had to drop him off every day for ages. Luckily the schools all had slightly different starting times so I could just about manage it, but did mean leaving DS3 as soon as his gates open and only just getting DS2 to his school as the bell rang. Finishing times were identical for the younger two though, so DS2 just had to hang around and wait until I could get there. Was by no means ideal, but it did work (just) and luckily was only for one year.

Can't help with any of your sports queries I'm afraid.

NowInGloucestershire Fri 25-Jan-13 18:27:36

I'm not in Cirencester either (Cheltenham) but there is a gymnastics club at Deer Park School (see www.cotswoldgymnastics.co.uk/Default.aspx). Not sure about the others, although as I mention below there is a leisure centre with a swimming pool so I assume they'll have some sort of swimming club?

As for when it's raining, there's a leisure centre in Cirencester itself, otherwise you're probably looking at heading towards Cheltenham/Gloucester for things like cinema/bowling etc. (sorry, I've tended to only do touristy things in Cirencester like the Corinium museum, but you can't do that every time it rains!)

OhNoWontDo Sat 02-Feb-13 22:38:57

Thanks for the replies and grin at the thought of the museum everytime it rains!

Have just found a school that will take all 3 - just need the solicitors to pull their finger out and we can get on with our new life!

4happyhours Mon 11-Mar-13 18:11:18

To the OP - are you looking for state or private schools?

cotswoldcheerful Fri 26-Apr-13 16:25:22

Did you get sorted out? Try Stratton Youth for football.

OhNoWontDo Fri 03-May-13 23:34:36

Thanks - yes we are finally here and finally with internet (took a while!).

Stratton youth only go upto age 10 according to their website - dd is 10 now. The man from Cirencester Town has come back to me and sounds promising.

We've found a Karate. Looking for swimming lessons now, think I've found some that all dc can have at the same time in Stroud.

Got all DC into same (state - with the massive increase in mortgage moving south could afford nothing else) school. Taking 15 minutes in the morning to drive there which is a complete pain, parents on the playground not the most welcoming but dc seem happy and settled there already.

DH currently working away in Australia so feeling a bit isolated and not nearly as settled as the dc - early days.....

cotswoldcheerful Tue 07-May-13 15:37:41

Stratton Youth squads do go up to 15. Their football is better than their webskills. Hope you are settling in... now it is sunny have a look at S Cerney for watersports

tinkerbellpixie Tue 16-Jul-13 20:57:29

Hi I live in Cirencester, I moved here last Feb and set up a new business, I am free in the holidays if you want to meet up in the park

Katie

OhNoWontDo Fri 30-Aug-13 20:54:31

sorry - I've only just seen this - would have loved to have meet up - what happened to those holidays?!

Could do after school one day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now