Moving to Chalford

(4 Posts)
NickRoz1234 Mon 16-May-16 11:26:58

Just wondering if locals can give us some advice. We are in the process of moving from Cheltenham to somewhere more rural. We both really love Minchinhampton and Chalford. We are in our early 30's and looking to start a family in the next couple of years so looking somewhere that is good for young families etc. We've heard Minchinhampton has an older population and Chalford can be a nightmare in winter due to the roads but a has great community feel?
Anyone that can give us an idea of pros/cons of either location that would be great smile.

Many thanks

kiwiinglos Tue 17-May-16 21:30:45

I don't know Chalford so well, but driving around there can be murder. There's a wonderful children's playground / park there though that people drive to from surrounding areas and the area is definitely picturesque. I know Minchinhampton much better. It has a very good primary school that is often over subscribed, a good number of village shops and amenities and is of course directly on the common - fabulous views, great for kite flying and a golf course to boot. Winstones ice cream factory is a mile away, and there are direct bus links to Tetbury, Stroud and Nailsworth (which is known for Hobbs Bakery and Williams Kitchen as well as other eateries and some lovely shops). Nearest train station for both Chalford and Minch is Stroud. Minch used to be known for its older population, but I think this has changed (I know a number of young families there).

Sorry - this is very one sided and perhaps someone else can chip in.

brightonmermaid Mon 04-Jul-16 20:59:29

hello - I moved from a more urban place (Brighton) to Stroud with my family and we initially lived in Chalford and now live near Minch. Both are lovely but very different. One is far more rural and secluded but that may be what you want from the change. Minchinhampton seems to have lots of young families and activities etc and would be my personal choice if I was in your shoes as you can walk to places, less dependent on cars/weather etc. Hope this helps.

TheCommonWoMan Thu 07-Jul-16 11:35:04

I also live near Minchinhampton (wonder if we've met Mermaid?).
I agree it is good for families with a popular primary school and in the catchment for the best Comprehensive in the area (although it is a bus ride away). Also easy bus access to grammars in Stroud. S
It still has a doctors surgery and the best community library in the county.
Yes, there are a lot of elderly but it is not just an older person's town by any means.
I would say that older teens might prefer living closer to a town, but for OP that would still be a long while off.

Have you made a decision yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now